Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Forum Suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:24 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

I know a lot of people have ideas for enhancing this forum. This is the place to make your suggestions. I'm not in charge, so I can't even begin to say whether they'll be taken seriously. But I can pass them on to the Gods, or direct them here for a look-see if there's anything good. Don't hold your breath though for them to be acted on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:09 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

::holds breath::
:oops:

Post subject: Re: Forum Suggestions
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:57 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Ghostwheel wrote:
I know a lot of people have ideas for enhancing this forum. This is the place to make your suggestions. I'm not in charge, so I can't even begin to say whether they'll be taken seriously. But I can pass them on to the Gods, or direct them here for a look-see if there's anything good. Don't hold your breath though for them to be acted on.

This is like the third time I have said this - but since this is the official thread,

How about a notification hooked to the "quote" button action so when someone uses it, it notifies the person they "quoted". This would be very nice.

And a How-to for posting properly prepared images so I don't have to wait to load a 500k image that would have been 15k if someone had bothered to index the color and lower the resolution to 74. I will write it if you are feeling lazy.

At that, maybe put 250k limit on post size to encourage folks to properly prepare images for online.

Ghostwheel has another suggestion I had.

Manta

Manta :oops:

Post subject: "ignore" feature
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:23 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Hi, Oh yeah sorry about any confusion I misread the sticky as to thinking it said to post "threads" in this folder rather than Replys in this thread for suggestions :D my bad.

anyways one feature of delphi that really kicks ass is ignore, I was wondering if it is possible int the new forums to have this forum format to have the ignore functions added on?

anyway thank you, and sorry for any confusion in starting another thread and all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:37 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

How about a label of somekind to distinguish those whose advice has been proven trusted, yet aren't [PC] members for whatever reason? Could replace the "10" or "8086" with [PC] Approved, or something similar.

I know we don't want to get into varying tiers, as [PC] and all others should be sufficient. However, some questionable advice pops up from time to time and it can be difficult for a new member to decide which advice is valid. One particular example is the thread below, as before Chumly stepped in, my post just blended with the rest:

http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=417

The other option is to throw me in [PC] and call it a day :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:51 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

One4yu2c wrote:
How about a label of somekind to distinguish those whose advice has been proven trusted, yet aren't [PC] members for whatever reason? Could replace the "10" or "8086" with [PC] Approved, or something similar.

I know we don't want to get into varying tiers, as [PC] and all others should be sufficient. However, some questionable advice pops up from time to time and it can be difficult for a new member to decide which advice is valid. One particular example is the thread below, as before Chumly stepped in, my post just blended with the rest:

http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=417

The other option is to throw me in [PC] and call it a day :wink:

Check you PM:)

Manta

Post subject: rig of the month
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:02 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

why not let the readers, or forum members, vote on the rig of the month.

editors choose 3 or so, then we vote.
to help against people making a bunch of names, make a minimum post # that is needed to vote.

i think it would make the readers a bit more involved

Post subject: Forum Email Issue
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:07 pm 

This should be a simple fix.

I have Filters in my email, one of which will trash any email that isnt sent specifically to me. This is something that SPAMMERS do, and one way to keep alot of trash from my mail box.

Quote:
To:
Subject: Topic Reply Notification - Official systems specs thread
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 21:07:04 -0700

Take note of the Cut&Paste above, the "To:" is BLANK. Needs to have my email addy there, or it goes to trash with out me even seeing it.

Post subject: Re: Forum Email Issue
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:33 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Ghost wrote:
This should be a simple fix.

I have Filters in my email, one of which will trash any email that isnt sent specifically to me. This is something that SPAMMERS do, and one way to keep alot of trash from my mail box.

Quote:
To:
Subject: Topic Reply Notification - Official systems specs thread
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 21:07:04 -0700

Take note of the Cut&Paste above, the "To:" is BLANK. Needs to have my email addy there, or it goes to trash with out me even seeing it.

If you are talking about your PM box, this is not an issue. If you are talking about your real email box - Then yes...This should be fixed. My email filter already checks the "to" line. This is not a "feature" but something that will get forum emails to my real emailbox dropped in the trash.

Mods,
If this is the case and it is not going to be fixed, please let us know so we (at least I) can take action on my side. I can possibly just make the "futurenetworkusa" domain pass through or something.

Manta
Post 100

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:20 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

ok...now that I've been through a few times...a newest posts or newest thread activity button would be nice. Today's posts button would be cool do....unless i'm just missing those altogether in which case this is a useless point..wouldn't be the first or last time I've done that 8)

I thought about maybe having the "Notify me when a reply is posted" set to a default of ON...but with some of these theads, you cuold really generate quite a bit of email from that and I'm not sure how feasable implementing a quote and reply buttons on individual threads is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:19 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

would it be possible to setup a presonal prefereces section for using the 'view posts since last visit' ?

what I mean is it would be cool to just view hardware haven and free clinic or whatever sections when I start lurking ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:30 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

we need a quick reply box.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:29 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

toidiochysp wrote:
we need a quick reply box.....

What is a "quick reply box"? I've seen this mentioned and I highly doubt it allows you to type faster-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:28 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Spider Monkey wrote:
What is a "quick reply box"? I've seen this mentioned and I highly doubt it allows you to type faster-

Now, but it'll help you reply faster. Essentially it's a place on the bottom of the screen where you can just type without hitting the reply button.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:36 pm 

furball146 wrote:
Spider Monkey wrote:

Now, but it'll help you reply faster. Essentially it's a place on the bottom of the screen where you can just type without hitting the reply button.

Ahhhhhhhhhh Got ya. I'd still want a To Me Message indicator first if these are being ranked though. :)

Post subject: Re: Forum Suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:24 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Ghostwheel wrote:

Here are some that I have thought about that I would like to see:

Have posts you posted in marked. Like they were marked High Interest in the old forum with the thumbs up.

Have each reply in a thread numbered so we can link directly to a reply in a thread.

Ignore Feature!

Ignore feature that when someone you have on ignore says they can not reply because they are being ignored if they reply to YOUR post. <----would be nice! :twisted:

Message notification so you know when your message has a reply to it and not the thread like it is now.

Have how many new posts there are since your last visit. Such as if you read a thread that has 3 posts and it has 10 new replies to it later it shows this like in the old forum.

That is all I can think of right now that i would like to see.

:-)
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:14 am 
Northwood
Northwood

can the forum be set to automatically input the original thread subject when trying to reply?

currently, when you reply to a thread, it's defaulted at blank, i'd like it to default to have the original title. this way, i don't have to scroll all the way to the top when i wanna see the subject of the thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:21 am 
Northwood
Northwood

i might be wrong about this, but it doesn't seem that this forum lets you know that a post has been edited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:23 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

cigar3tte wrote:
i might be wrong about this, but it doesn't seem that this forum lets you know that a post has been edited.

You're allowed a single edit within (I think) a minute before it starts putting the notification in your message. Of course, I have a post or two that never show it's been updated. But that might be a configuration issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:01 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Wow finally you switch to a better forum! Thanks so much!

Ok my suggestion, is to change site colors... Too much red drives me mad!!! Ahhhhhh :twisted: