Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:39 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Spider Monkey wrote:
Spider Monkey wrote:
Spider Monkey wrote:
Here is the actual error I receive each morning on my first post that nukes unread indicators.

"Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form."

Interesting...

Today I logged in, went to the break room, and made two successful responses without issue. Then on my third response, it happened again.

This is going to be hard to identify.

Note: The third response was to a thread that did not exist last time I was logged in.

This is insane.

It got me on the very first reply today. Again it was a thread that did not exist yesterday.

We may have a pattern brewing here. Tomorrow I will go to old threads first and then to a new one and see if that is the trigger.

Just when I'm about to give up.....

Today I come to my puter, open a new tab on my already open IE7, select MPC from my favorites and Po0f! I'm already logged in! I swear I logged out yesterday and didn't just close the tab (because I do it the same way every day). But in any case, of course the first reply I make is to a thread that was not new since I was here last, and in fact I'd even posted in it before. Low and behold, BLAM! I get the error and everything is nuked.

Something comes from this though. If I never logged out, then that absolutely points to something that is occurring overnight on the server side that must be causing this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:43 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Location: Playing Chicken with the Train at the River. Party Time!!
Spider Monkey wrote:
Something comes from this though. If I never logged out, then that absolutely points to something that is occurring overnight on the server side that must be causing this.

Me thinks Will and his team got the plasma conduits scrubbed realy good!

So far, the forum isn't getting marked as read automatically... AND I'm getting my email notifications from all folders!

Order has been delivered back from chaos!

... at least on my end! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:26 am 

brb011 wrote:

Not on mine. Although I did not get an error today, my first reply still marked everything read.

I give up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:52 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Spider Monkey wrote:
brb011 wrote:

Not on mine. Although I did not get an error today, my first reply still marked everything read.

I give up.

Hmmm... there must be a few more bugs in the system. Your post should have activated an email notification.

I just got through going through my email and had no MaxPC noti's.

You can imagine my surprise when I saw this thread lit-up 9.5 hours after you posted! :?

Edit:

I clicked on more than two threads and all post's got marked as read.

Bummer... I thought it was fixed. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:56 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

This is a new one.

Tonight I was able to read several threads. However, when I replied to one, all posts got marked again.

I'll clear cookies again and see if things are different tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:31 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Just did it again. I cleared cookies before I came in. Logged in. Went to "help me..." and read a few threads. Then when I backed to forum index and went to "free clinic", no threads marked unread...anywhere. XP-Pro, ff 3.0.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:20 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Spider Monkey wrote:

I think it's a cookie problem, actually. The read/not read stuff is stored in a cookie, along with your login ID and all that. If something's overwriting the cookies when you log out/log back in then that would do it too.

I rarely log out of the site, so that could be where the problem lies. I've forwarded this thread on to the devs though, so they'll look into it. We might just turn off the sign-in synchronization between the homepage and the forums. Your accounts would still be connected, but you'd have to log in here and log in on the homepage, instead of one log in working in both places. Most of the problems we're having seem to be tied to that functionality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:44 am 

willsmith wrote:
Spider Monkey wrote:

I think it's a cookie problem, actually. The read/not read stuff is stored in a cookie, along with your login ID and all that. If something's overwriting the cookies when you log out/log back in then that would do it too.

I rarely log out of the site, so that could be where the problem lies. I've forwarded this thread on to the devs though, so they'll look into it. We might just turn off the sign-in synchronization between the homepage and the forums. Your accounts would still be connected, but you'd have to log in here and log in on the homepage, instead of one log in working in both places. Most of the problems we're having seem to be tied to that functionality.

Much appreciated Willie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:07 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

OK. I cleared my cookies earlier today. Came back tonight and logged in. I come directly to the forum index not from the website. After logging in all categories with unread messages were marked but upon clicking any category, none of the threads inside were marked unread. I know this sounds picky but it's a major irritation when I don't have a lot of time to spend sorting through the dates of last posts in each thread. I don't have this problem in any other forum I frequent. Running xp-pro and the latest version of firefox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:17 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

biguglyman wrote:
OK. I cleared my cookies earlier today. Came back tonight and logged in. I come directly to the forum index not from the website. After logging in all categories with unread messages were marked but upon clicking any category, none of the threads inside were marked unread. I know this sounds picky but it's a major irritation when I don't have a lot of time to spend sorting through the dates of last posts in each thread. I don't have this problem in any other forum I frequent. Running xp-pro and the latest version of firefox.

Can you clear your cookies and try logging in through the homepage sometime, and report back?

Likewise, anyone who's nuked cookies and logged back in through the homepage, can you let me know how the test worked out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:01 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Do I have to do this (log in through the homepage) every time I clear the cookies? Any way, I'll try and see what happens. Did NOT clear any cookies since I was here the last time and everything seems to be working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:06 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Cleared cookies, logged in to web site then followed link to here. So far, no problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:53 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Today: cookies not cleared. Came directly to forums via bookmark in FF. Automatically logged in and no problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:53 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Tonight: cookies cleared, logged in to forum without going through the website. Everything is fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:24 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

It just did it again. Cleaned cookies etc. with ccleaner this morning prior to an antivirus scan. Came directly to forums via ff bookmark. Logged in. Went to "help me buy..." and read a thread there. They were marked appropriately. Then went to "free clinic" and although there were unread threads there as indicated in the index, they were not marked unread within the "free clinic" topic or any other topic. It's like once I read one unread message in one topic, it clears the indicators in all the other topics. Why the #%$^ does it do this sometimes but not all the time? This is really pissing me off. It's got to be something on your end as this is the only forum where I'm having this problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:20 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Today, came to forum via ff bookmark and did not clear cookies first. Auto-logged in. Everything worked fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:54 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I'm still getting everything marked as read.

Even if I don't log in and view various Folders/Threads/Posts. When I do log in, everything is marked. :(

I've nuked cookies, ran scandisk, defragged... there should be nothing left!?

Win XP Pro
IE7

Edit:

I sign in through the Forum, not the website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:00 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Try signing in through the website, not the forum for a few days brb, and let me know how that works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:25 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Did it again tonight before I read the above post. Cleared cookies today then when I came directly here and logged in everything was fine until I read my first thread. Then when I went back to index and tried to read another thread, none matked as unread. I'll start logging in through th website even though that seems like a waste of my time to "fix" your problem. Not to mention driving traffic through the MPC website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:15 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

biguglyman wrote:
Did it again tonight before I read the above post. Cleared cookies today then when I came directly here and logged in everything was fine until I read my first thread. Then when I went back to index and tried to read another thread, none matked as unread. I'll start logging in through th website even though that seems like a waste of my time to "fix" your problem. Not to mention driving traffic through the MPC website.

Now that we've figured out it has something to do with the log in/log out functionality of the forum side of things, we should be able to fix it for real.

FWIW, I'm relatively certain that clearing cookies is what's removing the read/not read marks. That info is stored in a cookie, I believe. You shouldn't have to do that every day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next