Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Strict modding?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:42 pm 

Regarding: http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtop ... 417#310417

I have experiance with both IPB and phpbb, I have used both. And I like IPB much better.

I run a 17000+ member site using IPB, and it is much more user friendly. Example: they have WYSIWYG posting, and I don't have to manually type in url coding.

And I have found no logical way of being able to tell who is staff and who is not based on their post profile.

It really pissed me off having someone tell me I don't know what I am talking about. I am not a n00b to either phpbb or IPB.

Me being a new member here should not effect the validity of my opinion.

So, spider monkey, go crawl up whatever tree you came from and let me have my opinion.

Thank you.[/url]

Post subject: Re: Strict modding?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:48 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

cooldude7273 wrote:
And I have found no logical way of being able to tell who is staff and who is not based on their post profile. [/url]

Well there's the Forum Rules, Posting Guidelines & Announcements (sub-title is "Read before you post") forum where the Forum Staff post is located.

No other conflicts other than I'm fine with phpBB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:58 pm 

I can easily live with phpbb, all I wanted to do was state my opinion.

And you should please read rule 3 to be nice to me "because I am a newbie".

Anyways, sorry for creating a new topic, but I just had to voice my opinion.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:00 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

cooldude7273 wrote:

I didn't think my post was going to be that offensive to you... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:02 pm 

OCNoob wrote:
cooldude7273 wrote:

I didn't think my post was going to be that offensive to you... :?

Oh, sorry. Your post was just fine.

I was still reffering to Monkeys post in the other thread.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:33 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

I'll leave this unlocked, but only if you guys play nice. I closed the other thread because it was getting out of control, and starting to devolve into a flame war. If fighting continues, there will be a temp ban or bans for everyone involved.

Edit: And for the record, I agree that it's bad form to come here, post five times, and start bitching about the forum software that we use. When your entire contribution to the forums here consists of saying that "Software X is better than the crap you're using" you're probably not going to be treated that well.

///Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:52 pm 

I always play nice! :P

And can I make a suggestion that staff have something that IDs them as staff when they post? A icon? A line in a sig?

I hope what I just said isn't ignored because I am new. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:36 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

cooldude7273 wrote:
I always play nice! :P

And can I make a suggestion that staff have something that IDs them as staff when they post? A icon? A line in a sig?

I hope what I just said isn't ignored because I am new. :?

The "Maximum PC Editor" (Maximum PC logo) and "Moderator" (Kick Ass Mod logo) tags should be enough... if you don't see them, you're not talking to a staff member.

The only exception is Blondie, who is a staff member for the Folding area of the forums; you will note her name appears below the name of the forums she moderates.

Staff members are also listed in the forum rules/announcements forum. Read them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:00 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I have been a memeber of several different message boards, and phpbb has been my board software of choice.

I don't see why (even if there is the $$) anybody should pay for something when there is already a system in place that works quite well and everybody is confortable using.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:45 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

WillSmith wrote:
I'll leave this unlocked, but only if you guys play nice. I closed the other thread because it was getting out of control, and starting to devolve into a flame war. If fighting continues, there will be a temp ban or bans for everyone involved.

Goda dammit I was going to rip this guys eyes out and shove them so far up his ass that he could see what a collapsed lung looks like. Now I have to go kill a kitten.

Quote:
Edit: And for the record, I agree that it's bad form to come here, post five times, and start bitching about the forum software that we use. When your entire contribution to the forums here consists of saying that "Software X is better than the crap you're using" you're probably not going to be treated that well.

///Will

Nope. Not that well at all. No one gives a rats ass who runs what forums on what template outside of here. We are here. We don't care about there.

So cooldude7273, go crawl back under your rock, and I'll jump back in my tree. There are easier ways to up your post count than spamming the Feedback folder.

Post subject: Re: Strict modding?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:31 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

[quote="cooldude7273"][/quote]

OK - I suspect you are wondering while general order 3 does not appear to be enforced for you.

Its about history. The very first person to get banned from here (the current incarnation of MPC Forums) IIRC was someone who complained about the forum format and rules. As a newbie you should aviod the subject - it has do with the history of MPC forums - and I don't have time to explain that to you.

As someone who has experience with forums, you know they are communities that evolve through time and devolop thier own culture - each is different. Give yourself time to understand the culture here.

Maybe it needs to be in the rules so folks don't get sideswiped.

As for Rank - I think Colby explained that well.

As for your opinion, it is valued when it is well informed. As a newbie here (maybe not in general, but here) - your opinion is not yet well informed. Consider, do you think the options chosen for format and rules were not researched? Do you understand what the limitations are of running an all volunteer forum with little avaliable support from "the mothership" (read as FP-USA). Do you understand what the real world options were when the forum was created (they are different than what your options may have been).

As for Monkey. Until you know him better, I would ignore him. You will eventually come to understand his archtype and how he fits in the general scheme of things here.

Now go post something in the windows folder that is infomative - as I believe your talent may lie there and you could be of use (also possibly in the Free Clinic - they always need help).

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:46 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Spider Monkey wrote:
Now I have to go kill a kitten.

Ah...there you are monkey. Capt'n Jack doesn't like Kitten Killing.

Which reminds me its time for some new Capt'n Jack Pics. Now that he is done with Halloween duties.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:54 am 

MantaBase wrote:
Spider Monkey wrote:
Now I have to go kill a kitten.

Ah...there you are monkey. Capt'n Jack doesn't like Kitten Killing.

Which reminds me its time for some new Capt'n Jack Pics. Now that he is done with Halloween duties.

Manta

I need to have a private discussion with Capt'n Jack. ;)