Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bart's How-to......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:58 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

could you make it alittle more detailed, I could conder stand the DOS command and I could see your screen to see when it should look like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:38 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Could you make your post a little more detailed/clearer?
Unless I'm missing something, I have no idea what you're talking about....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:13 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

this how-to: http://www.maximumpc.com/2005/09/how_to_make_a_b.html

Its not written for everyone to understand. Like I got stuck at the DOS part because it ws clearly explained. and their are other parts of the how-to that isnt explain to well either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:23 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

I'm not sure why those screen shots were even included, you can't see a thing, and you can;t click on them to blow them up. The instructions didn;t seems hard to follow to me, but then, I'm already familiar with all the processes. They didn't seem to go in depth into anything, but for a noob (no offense, I just mean someone who isn't familiar with this particular thing yet) getting too detailed can often either send them backing slowly out of the room without even trying, or just get them totally confused. I do agree the article could have been clearer, though, things are just kind of glanced over. It looks like there was a word limit, and to really explain this clearly I think you need more words.

Try taking a look at the BartPE site for more info, and also the UBCD 4 Windows site. I've been plugging it a lot lately, but I think it's worthy. It uses a customized and customizable package of free software and drivers in combination with BartPE to really make it easy to put together a truly feature filled and useful LiveCD right from the get go. It's instruction page is fairly easy to follow, or at least I thought it was, it didn;t take me long at all to make my first cd and then start experimenting. Everthing on it is is free/shareware/trialware, including AV, cd/dvd burners, file recovery, diagnotic, security, whatever, and it's really easy to drop SATA drivers in there or whatever else you need. Last time I built one, wireless support can be wonky depending on your wireless card, but it does work for some of them. I think it's a problem with getting the WZCFG to integrate and work properly, but it's being worked on, it may even be fixed by now, I'm not sure, I havn't had the time to keep up on it.

For the Dos part you mention, I think your talking about the slipstreaming of sp2 into the XP cd in step 2 right? It's simple, just follow the instructions here, You only need to go to step 3.
Or use Autostreamer or nLite, either of which can automate the process, but nLite also can do much much more as well. nLite is sweet, but stay away from the non-sp-integrating functions until your a bit more familiar. One step at a time as they say.

Last edited by Urvile on Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:51 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Anyone else have issues when starting the program?
I have XP home and anytime I start, the system reboots and tells me it's a system driver error.
From the event log, I get this:
Error code 100000d1, parameter1 0022cdc0, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 f0d0503a.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:29 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

Thanks for the additional link Urvile, helping a lot with my first BartPE CD.
One quick question though, in the article it has a link to download Windows XP SP2. The link takes you to the WinXP SP2 page, but nowhere can I find a manual download for SP2 except for the Windows Update, and Microsoft Update automated updaters. Am I missing something, or has Microsoft hidden a good (seperate) download for SP2?

Thanks.

OK, think I found it, but am unsure if this is the SP2 we've all come to know and love. Say's it is the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:00 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Ya, that's it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:54 pm 

Thanks Lawless. No, after installing BartPE, and additional files I've rebooted several times and no such error on this end.

I'm using ver 3.1.3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:29 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

Ack, I realized I mislinked the UBCD 4 Windows site, will fix. UBCD 4 WIN > BartPE.

Lawless, I'm clueless about that error your getting. I did a little googling, and all I can say is it looks like a driver error of some type, but which driver I dunno. Is you OS install fully patched and updated (sp2, yadda yadda)? any other problems you've noticed, or any conflicts in the Device Manager? Might want to take the problem over to the Free Clinic if it pesists, this sounds like a system problem rather than a problem with BartPE, although BPE might be bringing it out. It will get more eyes and foot traffic over there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:18 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Thanks guys,
Yup fully patched and all. It's a Dell 4500S. No conflicts.
I'll do some more research on my end turning off the auto-restart in Windows.
I was really just testing it out on my computer here at work and then I'll try it at home. I'll try it at home and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:38 pm 

Sorry I couldn't be of more help either Lawless.
I am still curiuos what could be causing the restarts,
post back a solution when found?