Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Best of the Best?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:53 pm 

dear maximum pc,
I am writing you today as a long time reader of your great magazine. For meany years i have always found your "Best of the Best" the most helpful section when deciding a new build or when i was a consultant building a system for someone else. however for the past few years i have found that although there is great reviews about the hardware, the component that is being described as the "best" turns out to be Discontinued. now i know that the way technology goes it really is hard to keep up with. however it makes it hard to use your recommendations if they are no longer available. with this i am hoping to at least bring it to your attention. i decided to post this on the form instead of emailing it to you because i'm sure i'm not the only person that uses it and wishes it would be updated more frequently.

Steve

Post subject: Re: Best of the Best?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:54 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You mean http://www.maximumpc.com/best-of-the-best that page? That's still pretty up to date.

Honestly you should be keeping up with this yourself from various sources and coming up with your own conclusions. I don't agree with a lot of the things they posted.

Post subject: Re: Best of the Best?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:20 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
I am writing you today as a long time reader of your great magazine.

You can also use The Builds listed in the back of the magazine. Each month they usually provide 3 builds from 4 different configurations:
  • Budget
  • Baseline
  • Performance
  • Ultimate

As far as I can tell, all the components are current and should be readily available. In fact, in the most recent issue (February 2014), they had to replace some components because they had been discontinued.

Hope this helps.

On a side note, I believe the prices for the budget and baseline builds have been creeping up with each adjustment. For the Budget build that is definitely going in the wrong direction. In the past the Baseline hovered around $1,100 but in the most recent edition it was priced at $1,230. In my opinion, the budget and baseline should have hard caps at $700 and $1,000, respectively. And that price includes an OS (Win 7 or 8.1).