Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Weird request
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:52 pm 

:?: Hi I am new to this so bear with me. I have received a call from a MICROSOFT TECH ? a few times this past year about fixing errors on my computer. He wants me to go to my computer to let him have access to it remotely. Sounds like a scam to me, I just tell him yea right, good bye. Anyone else receiving this? Everything works just fine, no problems or errors. The phone number is a dead end and caller ID, is unknown. Thanks fred

Post subject: Re: Weird request
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:27 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

fredholme wrote:
:?: Hi I am new to this so bear with me. I have received a call from a MICROSOFT TECH ? a few times this past year about fixing errors on my computer. He wants me to go to my computer to let him have access to it remotely. Sounds like a scam to me, I just tell him yea right, good bye. Anyone else receiving this? Everything works just fine, no problems or errors. The phone number is a dead end and caller ID, is unknown. Thanks fred

Yes, this is a known scam, just google "Microsoft tech scam". You will never receive a call from any major company without you initiating the contact, with the exception of your financial institutions. In fact, in this wonderful computer age, that's probably the best security advice I can give... if you did not initiate the contact, even with your financial institutions, it's a scam... don't open it, don't answer it, don't give any information including your name.

This isn't exactly accurate, but it's the best way of thinking to best protect yourself in this scam happy world we live in. If it's email, ignore it, or open your internet browser & manually go to your account page, if it was legit, the information in the email should be there. If it's a phone call, just flat out tell them that you believe this is a scam and hang up. If it's a company you have an account with, just call them up at the number you have on file, or find on their website, if it was legit, they will understand and will then be able to help you & you'll have the peace of mind of knowing you're dealing with the right people.