Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Website clock is 4 minutes off.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:38 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:10 pm
Posts: 5201
Just thought I would point this out.

Someone should visit www.time.gov and correct the clock that this site is running on.

Dan O.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:43 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:17 pm
Posts: 5315
Location: northwest BC
Picky picky picky...
:D


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:53 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:38 pm
Posts: 1
OMG!! Batten down the hatches! Call the National Guard! I'm missing 4 minutes! Shut down the entire internet!...

... nothing to see here, move along...


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:09 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:10 pm
Posts: 5201
Hey,

Just thought I would mention, the website clock is now 8 minutes off. :lol:

Dan O.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:20 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:14 pm
Posts: 4956
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Frick! Time is slowing down!

AHH!

[insert cheesy slow motion sound effects]


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:23 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:10 pm
Posts: 5201
willah wrote:
Frick! Time is slowing down!

AHH!

[insert cheesy slow motion sound effects]


Actually, time is slowing down, just not to this degree.

The problem is that the moon's graivitational effect on our oceans is slowing down the earth's rotation. Every 6 months or so the people in charge of the atomic time clocks have to do a leap second, because the clocks don't match the earth's rotation properly.

In the distant future, this effect will cause the earth's rotation to match the moon's orbit. Just as the same side of the moon always faces the earth, the same side of the earth will always face the moon.

That's your little factoid for the day. ;)

Dan O.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:32 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:14 pm
Posts: 4956
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Interestingly I already knew that. Stock markets in Japan experience 24:59:59 twice a day to compensate (the "leap" second)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:30 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:17 pm
Posts: 5315
Location: northwest BC
And in about a bazillion years, Earth will no longer have a moon. What will the atomic clock keepers blame it on then?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:44 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:22 pm
Posts: 27374
Location: In a cage, dumbass.
whitecree wrote:
And in about a bazillion years, Earth will no longer have a moon. What will the atomic clock keepers blame it on then?


Probably the Sun going Super Nova on our asses and wiping out everything from Mecury to Jupiter.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:50 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:10 pm
Posts: 5201
whitecree wrote:
And in about a bazillion years, Earth will no longer have a moon. What will the atomic clock keepers blame it on then?


It doesn't matter anyway, the sun is continually expanding. In another 100,000 years we'll have to all move to Mars to escape the heat. Didn't you guys all notice when you were in school that the Ice Ages have been getting progressively shorter?

Of course, that's still long-term for humanity. Most species don't live past 100,000 years, we're close to that now.

In the very short term we have to worry about global warming. The fact is that warm periods come and go fast, even though they do last for millions of years.

You know how they come so fast? Methane is building up underneath the seafloor near the UK. One quake and vast amounts of methane, a global warming agent, will be released into the atmosphere, rising temperatures throughout the globe.

The air temperature isn't what we should be worried about, it's the ocean temps. If the oceans rise 5 degrees F, you can expect the sea levels to rise by over 100 feet, wiping out the vast majority of large cities in the world.

Yeah, it's not the size of the ice caps that determine how high the sea levels are, it's the temperature of the water.

Edit: And oh yeah, even if we escape the expanding sun and everything else like asteroids, our galaxy is doomed to colide with our nieghbor. I think it's coming relatively soon too. :roll: Nah, just looked it up, 5 billion years :lol:

Dan O.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:58 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:22 pm
Posts: 27374
Location: In a cage, dumbass.
Belboz99 wrote:
whitecree wrote:
And in about a bazillion years, Earth will no longer have a moon. What will the atomic clock keepers blame it on then?


It doesn't matter anyway, the sun is continually expanding. In another 100,000 years we'll have to all move to Mars to escape the heat. Didn't you guys all notice when you were in school that the Ice Ages have been getting progressively shorter?

Of course, that's still long-term for humanity. Most species don't live past 100,000 years, we're close to that now.

In the very short term we have to worry about global warming. The fact is that warm periods come and go fast, even though they do last for millions of years.

You know how they come so fast? Methane is building up underneath the seafloor near the UK. One quake and vast amounts of methane, a global warming agent, will be released into the atmosphere, rising temperatures throughout the globe.

The air temperature isn't what we should be worried about, it's the ocean temps. If the oceans rise 5 degrees F, you can expect the sea levels to rise by over 100 feet, wiping out the vast majority of large cities in the world.

Yeah, it's not the size of the ice caps that determine how high the sea levels are, it's the temperature of the water.

Edit: And oh yeah, even if we escape the expanding sun and everything else like asteroids, our galaxy is doomed to colide with our nieghbor. I think it's coming relatively soon too. :roll:

Dan O.


Psst. I was able to say this entire paragraph in one sentance one post above. ;)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:45 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:10 pm
Posts: 5201
Spider Monkey wrote:
Belboz99 wrote:
whitecree wrote:
And in about a bazillion years, Earth will no longer have a moon. What will the atomic clock keepers blame it on then?


It doesn't matter anyway, the sun is continually expanding. In another 100,000 years we'll have to all move to Mars to escape the heat. Didn't you guys all notice when you were in school that the Ice Ages have been getting progressively shorter?

Of course, that's still long-term for humanity. Most species don't live past 100,000 years, we're close to that now.

In the very short term we have to worry about global warming. The fact is that warm periods come and go fast, even though they do last for millions of years.

You know how they come so fast? Methane is building up underneath the seafloor near the UK. One quake and vast amounts of methane, a global warming agent, will be released into the atmosphere, rising temperatures throughout the globe.

The air temperature isn't what we should be worried about, it's the ocean temps. If the oceans rise 5 degrees F, you can expect the sea levels to rise by over 100 feet, wiping out the vast majority of large cities in the world.

Yeah, it's not the size of the ice caps that determine how high the sea levels are, it's the temperature of the water.

Edit: And oh yeah, even if we escape the expanding sun and everything else like asteroids, our galaxy is doomed to colide with our nieghbor. I think it's coming relatively soon too. :roll:

Dan O.


Psst. I was able to say this entire paragraph in one sentance one post above. ;)


yeah, the Sun going supernova accurately describes the near future rise in sea levels. :roll:


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:48 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:22 pm
Posts: 27374
Location: In a cage, dumbass.
Belboz99 wrote:
yeah, the Sun going supernova accurately describes the near future rise in sea levels. :roll:


On our ASSES! You forgot the key element!

You're in rare form today.


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group