Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dear gawd, what are you all thinking!?!?!?
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:28 am 
BANNED
BANNED

You bounced my password back to me in an e-mail!?!?!??!!?

WFT!?!?!? :x :x :x

I hate to sound paranoid, BUT YOU BOUNCED MY PASSWORD TO A WEB BASED ADDRESS, MAKING IT VIRTUALLY UNDELETABLE!?!?!?!?!?!?! :x :x

Why, I mean in gawds name why BOUNCE A PASSWORD!?!?!?!?!!

Jeeze.

WHY?

Why in the world is MAXIMUMPC forwarding passwords?!?!?!?!
If ANY bunch of people should know better, its you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:57 am 
Celeron
Celeron

So what's the problem here? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 2:13 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Dude, this is a forum. "Oh no, someone hijacked my account"
A) What loser cares enough to do that
B) Make a new account or get the mods to reset the PW on your old one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:15 pm 
BANNED
BANNED

You must be the admin, right? I mean only an admin would intercept a message written to an admin, right?
Oh sorry. I thought this was the MaximumPC forum; where people would KNOW the value of keeping passwords a secret.
You know, a place where admins are savy enough to know bouncing passwords is dangerous. Like they write in their articles.

Obviously I was mistaken; no one here seems to take passwords seriously.

Edit: removed flame

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:20 pm 
BANNED
BANNED

OCNoob wrote:
So what's the problem here? :P

Password are supposed to be secret. What purpose does it serve MPC to send me an e-mail with my username and password, along with directions on where to use them.

It does notihing but put my password in text for anyone to read.

All it would take is a server hack at yahoo mail to pull all my e-mails, even ones I think I've deleted.

Lexus Nexus ring a bell?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:51 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

Your e-mail is supposed to be secret. No one should be looking at it. If someone is without your consent, they are in violation of some law.

You seem to not like the e-mail service you have (or any e-mail service). It appears to me that you're very paranoid about this (no offense).

The email you've received is supposed to be for your own good. For you to remember what your password is from the get-go.

Lexus Nexus does ring a bell. Yes, it rings up the actual name - Lexis Nexis. ;)

Who's going to hack Yahoo to steal forum passwords? They'd rather steal other things more worth their time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:22 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

At the same time, your forum password shouldn't be the same as any other password.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:10 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

this thread makes my ROFL copter go swish swish

Well a lot of people use the same password for EVERYTHING and thats how a lot of people get ******.

and also

These must be his first forums because most forums do the same exact thing. phpbb forums send passwords to your email as it is part of the password recovery feature of the forums and activation of your account. On phpbb forums your password is stored in the database as an md5 hash and even then md5 is crackable, so that right there doesnt garuantee you password remains secret, even from the evil horibble secrurity lax admins that run these forums who plan to take over all our accounts :) minus the fact they can just change our passwords on us.... wink wink. You should assume that any givin password can be compromised when you send it anywhere. Regardless if it gets emailed to a web-based adressed(ala gmail, hotmail).....well wtf do you think happens with any email, regardless if its web-based(im assuming you mean hotmail) or pop3, its all stored at a remote location.

yet again, the only reason to worry is if you use the same password somewhere else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:15 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

You shouldn't never use the same password for stuff like message boards that you would use for something important, like your bank login. That's just common sense.

PHPBB, the software that this message board runs, sends passwords in cleartext by default. If we changed it so that it didn't automatically send the password in cleartext, the admins would have to manually fix forgotten passwords for every single one of the 5200+ users who forget their passwords. This would suck for everyone, admins because it would take lots of time for them to reset passwords, and users because they wouldn't be able to log in until the admin gets around to it.

Now, I'm going to lock this thread Because it's turned into a flame. Please don't restart the flame.

///Will

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]