Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Advertise much?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:25 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

A while back, you guys started covering cell phones to the exclusion of PC news, probably because the advertising revenue was better. People who complained too much got banned.

Now you only manage to squeeze 2-4 articles out a day, sandwiched between advertisements. And one of those "articles" is sure to be a thinly veiled advertisement for Windows 8. Microsoft has deep pockets, we all know.

You'll probably ban anyone who complains, but this is crap. Even a couple weeks ago, you would run so many NEWS articles, I regularly had to go back a page or two to get them all. Now, as I noted, we get 2-4 a day. Between advertisements.

I don't see the regular contributors. Maybe they've all been fired? Maybe the magazine is about to go under? Maybe you really need this revenue, but you are likely to ensure the demise you are trying to stave off.

I actually LIKE the Daily Deals, and want to see them stay. But not if it means there's no more news. I can go to Newegg for daily deals. I come here and subscribe for PC news reporting. Right now, you are sinking the web site. That will likely spread to the magazine.

More the Daily Deals out of the news column, to the side, and make it a fixture. Then start reporting the news again.

Post subject: Re: Advertise much?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:48 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Jesus. No one has anything to say?

Is the magazine about to go belly up? I just go a renewal notice. Should I trash it?

Seriously, the silence on this issue is chilling.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:13 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

MPC is dying. The magazine and this forum used to be so alive and vibrant and now it just reeks. It's just sad. In many respects it's just a microcosm of the x86 market. Nothing else to say except read this, it's a quick and accurate manifesto on how powerful procs are out and the the meteoric rise of ARM computing and devices. I don't think MPC readers really get what is occurring, but when Haswell drops it will be obvious to all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:10 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

It's unfortunate, but the 'problem' is that the world is going mobile. Desktops are now seen as a relic, laptops are sort of heading that way. And let's be honest here, what do most of the people use their computers at home for? Most people I deal with who use computers don't need all the power of a Core i5 packing two GPUs and 8GB of RAM. Sure, some of them are running Photoshop... as a drawing tool, which at worst only needs a lot of memory for smooth performance (or just save and restart the program every hour).

And to be honest, I don't mind this. I would rather the world start pulling out efficient software on efficient hardware. Even in the gaming realm. I have a game that looks better than Half-Life 2, running on what should be a dinky little Tegra 3. And it doesn't get hot. And just for fun, I have a PlayStation 2 that never gets warm, even after an 8 hour gaming session.

x86 is 34 years old now. It needs to either chop off a lot of crap, or die. The one thing that kills you during development is interoperability. I mean hell, it took Intel at least 25 freakin' years to drop support for the A20 issue, an issue that nobody cared about for at least 15 years (of course, that was an ass pull, but I'm sure the support remained way after it was rendered moot).