Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:16 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:45 am
Posts: 15220
Spider Monkey wrote:
Blondie wrote:
Colby & One4ya, great points.

One, how about a different folding badge then for those that have folded but aren't any more?


There is one. Look at Jokerswild1's badge. ;)


What I would like, if something does come of this, would be to keep it simple for Six since he is busy enough as it is. This is why I suggested the main black badge as standard for has folded.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:21 pm 
No Hope = No Fear
No Hope = No Fear
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:00 am
Posts: 1183
Location: Dark Side of the Womb
i like the nifty top 10 badge... black/white


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signatures
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:36 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 2:25 pm
Posts: 2761
Location: Washington, the state
One4yu2c wrote:
If that becomes the norm, be prepared to discern between those who have truly quit and those who are on temporary pause. Using myself as an example, it's been quite a few months since I last Folded - had my roommate's Soyo rig die on her, gave her my PC, and have been in the process of replacing mine (I'm currently using my son's). Since my roommate and myself make a living off of our PCs, I can't afford to stress these two working computers without a backup in place, especially in winter when I have the heat cranked up and thus my computer temps are up as well. Regardless, I plan to get back into full swing once I've completed the upgrade cycle.

Good point, it is going to be difficult to tell when people can't fold vs. when people aren't folding. It's not something we'd take away immediately anyway, it would likely be a generous grace period.

One4yu2c wrote:
The other thing I look at is if anyone has ever contributed points under MaximumPC towards Folding, they deserve recognition. Let the rankings be the great equalizer when it comes to valuing how much their contribution relates to others, rather than taking way a badge that helps get the word out. Following that strip-away logic, one might as well take away [PC] and 'Kick-Ass Moderator' badges for those who aren't currently active in the respective titles...


Quite honestly, that is something we have considered on and off for [PC], so I would be careful what you wish for ;)

Taking the badge away was just something to consider, and was not a final decision by any means. I agree that the badge does great things to advertise for FAH, and a lot of people who do start folding do keep folding, even if it is not a major contribution -- every little bit counts, and it's great free advertising.

I'm searching for a way to do this without a lot of overhead and making sure we meet as much of the need as we can. If we just let the badge signify "I Folded Once" it doesn't reward people who continue to fold or who have folded for quite a while, even if they aren't superstar folders like the top 20 producers. But, the badge we have now is a great way to build a community and a team, even if it doesn't separate the leadership or the consistent folders from the people who fold when they can (or gave up folding temporarily/permanently).

If, as Blondie suggested, we cut off the 800 and up people with a second badge, when we attract more regular folders we're going to have to widen that gap a little bit :) Also, someone is going to have to determine when someone switches over into a "regular" folder, and if someone falls back out of that do we ever take away their badge? I think if someone was #500 then for some reason has to stop folding, it's not necessarily fair to take away their badge. That's where I would fall more in One4's opinion of continued reward for service.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signatures
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:40 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:22 pm
Posts: 27374
Location: In a cage, dumbass.
colby wrote:
#500 then for some reason has to stop folding, it's not necessarily fair to take away their badge. That's where I would fall more in One4's opinion of continued reward for service.


We have 700 active folders. We'd have to go out way farther than 500.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signatures
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:38 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:09 pm
Posts: 9602
Location: Land of the Lounge Lizards
colby wrote:
Quite honestly, that is something we have considered on and off for [PC], so I would be careful what you wish for ;)


:P Hey, what's good for the goose..

As for Folding, I do like Blondie's idea. In fact, if it wouldn't be too much work, it would be neat to set up a series of badges for different levels of folders. Perhaps a system based on points where a Folder can earn a new permanent badge. This is akin to the post count with the different titles at certain intervals. That way, if a Folder stops Folding, he still has his badge that he earned, it's still being advertised for new members to see, and active users have cooler, less common badges to work towards and separate themselves from the rest. The only negative I can think of would be the work involved - maybe a sticky would help so that when a member reaches a new level, they can post and be recognized and inform staff that a new badge is needed.

Food for thought...


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signatures
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:23 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:45 am
Posts: 15220
Colby, do you think this post should be split out from the original to get more input, etc?

colby wrote:
I agree that the badge does great things to advertise for FAH


Truthfully, I doubt many people know what the badge means unless they are here for a while. When I 1st started here I had no clue what [PC] or the Team Member meant. That's why I'd like to see a simple folding sig something to the effect of "Like my Team Member badge? Get yours by folding with MPC" where folding with MPC would be a clickable link to the main folding post.

colby wrote:
and a lot of people who do start folding do keep folding, even if it is not a major contribution -- every little bit counts, and it's great free advertising.


I think DanO could tell you differently. He's pretty up on the numbers of how many we keep & don't keep. He would be the man to ask. We lose a lot of people, he has posts in the folding section about trying to keep them.


colby wrote:
If, as Blondie suggested, we cut off the 800 and up people with a second badge, when we attract more regular folders we're going to have to widen that gap a little bit :) Also, someone is going to have to determine when someone switches over into a "regular" folder,


We already have a post for team badges where we request our next level. This can all be explained in the welcome post that Mah or myself makes every month.

colby wrote:
if someone falls back out of that do we ever take away their badge? I think if someone was #500 then for some reason has to stop folding, it's not necessarily fair to take away their badge. That's where I would fall more in One4's opinion of continued reward for service.


If someone reaches the top 10, top 100 they have earned that badge to be there IMO, and it should not be taken away as long as they are folding. Perhaps if they stopped all togather, then the badge would go to photoshop to get "frosted glass" put over it, so it isn't so bright and can be distinguished from the active top 100.

One4yu2c wrote:
As for Folding, I do like Blondie's idea.


Wow, you like my idea! :D I like your idea as well :wink: very good suggestions!

I've been thinking of making a post in the LL to see why some stopped folding, curious to what they have to say. I don't think it would get as much traffic in the folding section, especially from people not folding.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:24 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:55 pm
Posts: 9231
Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
you could put a border around the active folders badge, like a picture frame, an inactive folder, for two cycles on the active cpu list (100 days) and the border gets removed and they are left with what we use now a borderless badge.

a different border could be used for different levels


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:06 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:10 pm
Posts: 5201
In regards to how many people keep folding, you need to look at a combination of charts.

This chart shows how many users are were active on each day of the past month:
Image

That looks bad, but it really doesn't show the whole picture. From this chart it looks like we lost about 25 users, gained 40, and lost another 35. The most you would think we lost would be 60 users.

Now take a look at this chart, it shows the total number of users in our team on each day of the past month:
Image

As you can see, we gained over 90 users during the past month. Where are these 90 users today?

So, in the past month 90 people have joined our team, yet we are currently over 10 users fewer than one month ago. This means we have a total loss of 100 users.

We are loosing 100 users a month, I saw it last month too. Actually, I think last month was worse.

Dan O.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:18 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:07 pm
Posts: 787
Location: look behind you...
Dan'O, you have a degenerative disease. My father has alzhiemers. Rick's son has cancer. That is why we continue folding. I, like many, have butted my head against the wall, trying to figure out how to retain the new comers. IMHO, if they don't have the direct involment that we do,
it isn't going to matter what badge or frame around the badge, or what sig they have, they just arent going to stay. Lets not beat ourselves up over this, but rather, spend our time and effort with the ones that do stay.

FOLD UNTIL A CURE (if you want a sig, do like I do and type the dam thing in)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:38 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:45 am
Posts: 15220
Belboz99 wrote:
In regards to how many people keep folding, you need to look at a combination of charts.....

So, in the past month 90 people have joined our team, yet we are currently over 10 users fewer than one month ago. This means we have a total loss of 100 users.

We are loosing 100 users a month, I saw it last month too. Actually, I think last month was worse.

Dan O.


Dan, thanks for coming by and adding that. I didn't realize the numbers were so high.

Brvhrt wrote:
Dan'O, you have a degenerative disease. My father has alzhiemers. Rick's son has cancer. That is why we continue folding. I, like many, have butted my head against the wall, trying to figure out how to retain the new comers. IMHO, if they don't have the direct involment that we do,
it isn't going to matter what badge or frame around the badge, or what sig they have, they just arent going to stay. Lets not beat ourselves up over this, but rather, spend our time and effort with the ones that do stay.

FOLD UNTIL A CURE (if you want a sig, do like I do and type the dam thing in)


I had asked Dan for his input after I posted to Colby. I think it is important that everyone sees what the totals are. It makes absolutly no sense why our competition is able to hold onto members yet we are not. There has to be something we can do, if it means adding a different badge as a test, as long as it is not too much work, or worth it, then what is the harm of adding a new level? You can't say for sure that doing this will not keep new members because frankly we don't know.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:11 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:22 pm
Posts: 27374
Location: In a cage, dumbass.
Blondie wrote:

What I would like, if something does come of this, would be to keep it simple for Six since he is busy enough as it is. This is why I suggested the main black badge as standard for has folded.


He'd just need to nominate a volunteer to monitor it for him. I take care of the gaming forum for him. It ain't that hard. ;)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:36 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:45 am
Posts: 15220
Spider Monkey wrote:
Blondie wrote:

What I would like, if something does come of this, would be to keep it simple for Six since he is busy enough as it is. This is why I suggested the main black badge as standard for has folded.


He'd just need to nominate a volunteer to monitor it for him. I take care of the gaming forum for him. It ain't that hard. ;)


No, it isn't that hard. The hardest thing is using the Admin CP to make the changes.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:48 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:10 pm
Posts: 6657
Location: Houghton, MI (Michigan Technological University)
at the one other forum i podst at, thjey disabled html in sigs and limited them to three lines, is this a plausable thing?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:50 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:22 pm
Posts: 27374
Location: In a cage, dumbass.
athlon11 wrote:
at the one other forum i podst at, thjey disabled html in sigs and limited them to three lines, is this a plausable thing?


Yes, but a spelling mod is higher on the priority list. :P


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:52 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:10 pm
Posts: 6657
Location: Houghton, MI (Michigan Technological University)
Spider Monkey wrote:
athlon11 wrote:
at the one other forum i podst at, thjey disabled html in sigs and limited them to three lines, is this a plausable thing?


Yes, but a spelling mod is higher on the priority list. :P
damn you, ;) , im typing this with the keybpard on my lap while ium sitting on the ground, what more can you expect


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:19 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:22 pm
Posts: 27374
Location: In a cage, dumbass.
athlon11 wrote:
Spider Monkey wrote:
athlon11 wrote:
at the one other forum i podst at, thjey disabled html in sigs and limited them to three lines, is this a plausable thing?


Yes, but a spelling mod is higher on the priority list. :P
damn you, ;) , im typing this with the keybpard on my lap while ium sitting on the ground, what more can you expect


Nothing, but you set yourself up. :P


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signatures
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:15 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:37 am
Posts: 720
Location: Rest in Peace... Stratplan & Whitecree & Thomasvjones
Blondie wrote:
If someone reaches the top 10, top 100 they have earned that badge to be there IMO, and it should not be taken away as long as they are folding. Perhaps if they stopped all togather, then the badge would go to photoshop to get "frosted glass" put over it, so it isn't so bright and can be distinguished from the active top 100.


Hmmm.. I like that frosted glass idea for the zero output folders.

I do think we need a larger variety of badges for the top 100 folders as well.

If you look at the Top 20 folders (by points) you see that at least Eight of them have marginal ppd output. In the next six months or so, they will get bumped out of the Top 20 by the likes of Thunar, Mani-Ax, softailguy, the Dan O'Connell collective, Piddy716, jamevay and DanAmrich if they can keep up their blistering pace.

It's hard keeping your average that high month after month and I think the top tier deserve something special.

I just typed a whole paragraph about a badge that shifts color as you move up the charts till I realized that people getting dumped down the charts would have to reverse the process and it's all too damn much work for the moderators. :oops: delete..delete..delete..

OK - maybe just some colored frames around the badges as was already suggested. Beelzebob get's Gold of course, Silver for the top 25, Bronze for top 75?
I'll stop now :roll:

Gary


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signatures
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:05 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:45 am
Posts: 15220
Gary480six wrote:
OK - maybe just some colored frames around the badges as was already suggested. Beelzebob get's Gold of course, Silver for the top 25, Bronze for top 75?
I'll stop now :roll:

Gary


I like this suggestion!


I pm'd Six to see if this (more badges) is doable. If so, possible we'd need someone to do the badge work. I am not skilled at PSP or Photo Shop, so someone would have to volunteer if it goes that route.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:56 am 
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 7:40 am
Posts: 3219
Location: Da Basestar
I can make a stopped folding badge.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:33 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:45 am
Posts: 15220
Number Six wrote:
I can make a stopped folding badge.


Thanks Six. Whatever is easier for you.


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group