Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:16 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:42 am
Posts: 154
Location: teh Ether
It doesn't take much for Google to index a site. It helps your ranking when you have other sites link to you that are also indexed. I have such a link on many of my pages at TheMadModder.com. Your page rank on the forum home page is 6/10, which isn't bad. What is not so good is that none of your other pages rank at all. I suspect it is because of the language that takes place here.

Google -- and some people -- doesn't appreciate harsh language. They don't like "adult" sites. You have a site here that does not protect the 13 and under crowd from objectionable material. Consequently, Google looks poorly on sites like this.

I am not a prude. I use colorful language in my daily life. However, I don't use it in front of children, or where children might over-hear me. The language and some of the topics here are down right offensive. Some of the harshest comes from, I think, young boys feeling a sense of freedom and looking to see just how far they can go. It gets pretty ugly and they have, no doubt in my mind, made this place a less than attractive stop on ones cruise around the Net.

My participation here is much less than it was in the beginning. I thought this site would reflect the values and interests of the magazine. It falls far short, from what I can tell. It has gone so far as to have me question the value of the magazine itself. I know I am not the only one.

Grump


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:06 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:55 pm
Posts: 1670
Grump wrote:
My participation here is much less than it was in the beginning. I thought this site would reflect the values and interests of the magazine. It falls far short, from what I can tell. It has gone so far as to have me question the value of the magazine itself. I know I am not the only one.

Grump

The value of the magazine has nothing to do with what goes on in the forums. The magazine and the forums are two separate entities, each with their own method of communication. The magazine is toned down, the forums are not. The reason this board is active and popular is because people enjoy coming here. There are little to no regulations or rules, and that makes for a more vibrant and lively community.

Once rules are set in place that prevents people from posting what they want, I gaurantee that you will see less people participating here. No one likes a stiff, rules laden forum. It creates an atmosphere of blandness, no life. You cannot expect MPC to police the forums like they would their magazine. You are basically gauging the 'value' of MPC by the actions that people commit themselves to here on these boards.

If you have a problem with that, then you need to change the 'values' of those people that post here. Not blame the magazine.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:45 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:55 pm
Posts: 1670
Just wanted to add a response to Grumps post that the only place that offensive language or behavior really takes place on these boards is in the Lifestyle Lounge forum. And as far as I am concerned, MPC does a good enough job of warning potential visitors of its contents. And if parents are doing their job, they will not allow their children to go there in the first place.
Quote:
Lifestyle Lounge
Hang out in the Lounge for off-topic conversation. Some content may be
offensive, so use this forum at your own risk!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:52 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 1:13 pm
Posts: 2308
The other thing to consider Grump, is that our moderators are unpaid (but much appreciated) volunteers. When we moved to the new forums, the staff of the magazine asked the mods to try running this board with a looser hand, keep the rules simple and use common sense. That way keeping this place running wouldn't be a second job for them.

For the most part, it's worked out really well. The board is very popular and the few small problems we've had are ironed out pretty easily. It's a very good thing, and we all owe thanks to all of the moderators that spend their free time here cleaning up other people's messes :)

Thanks guys!

///Will


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:30 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24226
Location: Granite Heaven
WillSmith wrote:
The other thing to consider Grump, is that our moderators are unpaid (but much appreciated) volunteers. When we moved to the new forums, the staff of the magazine asked the mods to try running this board with a looser hand, keep the rules simple and use common sense. That way keeping this place running wouldn't be a second job for them.

For the most part, it's worked out really well. The board is very popular and the few small problems we've had are ironed out pretty easily. It's a very good thing, and we all owe thanks to all of the moderators that spend their free time here cleaning up other people's messes :)

Thanks guys!

///Will


Quoted for truth.

The mods do a great job and don't get nearly enough appreciation.

We should throw them a party. :D

(If Colby gets drunk, I can 'confiscate' her car keys. Woooot!)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:58 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:34 pm
Posts: 130
Location: W 141o00'--W 52o00' / N 90o00'--N 41o45'
"There are little to no regulations or rules"

Actually, there are quite a bit of rules and regulations... Just take a look around at how people act.


You definitely (note that it is spelled correctly) abuse your freedom... I have been banned once already for ""little or no "rules""" being in place... Just ask number six (I think it was radray or somewhat rather)

Ok, I do not know what or who is adding to my posts, but it is hilarious... (I did not add the spelling part in there at all!!) How do you do it?

... and as you guys probably noticed, I have matured quite a bit since then...


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:47 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:22 pm
Posts: 27384
Location: In a cage, dumbass.
techdude wrote:
How do you do it?


You do it yourself by spelling things wrong. Its the word filter. ;)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:39 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:42 am
Posts: 154
Location: teh Ether
garetjax wrote:
...the only place that offensive language or behavior really takes place on these boards is in the Lifestyle Lounge forum.


You are absolutely mistaken on that. I have seen every foul word used in LL also used elsewhere. This topic started about a search engine. Google is not the only one. Some search engines object to "adult content". That means, if I link to adult content from my site, that search engine might rate me lower, if at all. A site needs a good .htaccess file to ward robot/spiders off from certain directories (they don't always obey robots.txt).

WillSmith wrote:
When we moved to the new forums, the staff of the magazine asked the mods to try running this board with a looser hand, keep the rules simple and use common sense.


Even in the LL forum, it seems offensive to allow the posting of a thread designed to ridicule, belittle and insult some of your members. Having a special section in the forum to put on display those worst offenders of the rules is even more reprehensible (in my opinion) -- cruel and unusual punishment compared to every other forum on the Net.

If you have a problem with moderators being over-worked, maybe you should trust a couple more members to take up the slack. You already have one or 2 members trying their best to organize things in the modding forum, but can't do it properly because they can't edit or move posts.

This board has over 4500 members, but take a look at those that have never posted or only posted a few times. A community forum has a lot of regularly participating members, which this forum has, but not as many as the membership numbers would suggest. An awful lot of the members participate almost exclusively in LL. The use of common sense in that forum and sometimes other areas of the site is seriously lacking.

Of course, these are just my own personal observations and opinions, which, depending on the particular member's point of view, may be against one of the unwritten rules here. So I'll shut up.

Grump


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:07 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 1:13 pm
Posts: 2308
Grump wrote:
Even in the LL forum, it seems offensive to allow the posting of a thread designed to ridicule, belittle and insult some of your members. Having a special section in the forum to put on display those worst offenders of the rules is even more reprehensible (in my opinion) -- cruel and unusual punishment compared to every other forum on the Net.


Threads designed to ridicule, belittle or insult forum members should be locked because of rule 1. If they're not, please post a link in the Forum Abuse folder. That helps the mods find naughty posts faster. For reference, here's Rule 1.

Quote:
1. Don't be a jerk. Act with moderation and the moderators won't have to act. Don't make posts that suck.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:13 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:22 pm
Posts: 27384
Location: In a cage, dumbass.
WillSmith wrote:

Threads designed to ridicule, belittle or insult forum members should be locked because of rule 1. If they're not, please post a link in the Forum Abuse folder. That helps the mods find naughty posts faster. For reference, here's Rule 1.



Psst.

Hey Will. We can't see the Forum Abuse folder. That is for mods only. Its where you put all the crap you need removed from the forum. ;)


P.S. Don't worry about the thread that Grump is talking about. We derailed it a long time ago, so everything is in the clear now. :)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:43 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 1:13 pm
Posts: 2308
That is not the forum abuse folder I am looking for?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:22 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:22 pm
Posts: 27384
Location: In a cage, dumbass.
WillSmith wrote:
That is not the forum abuse folder I am looking for?


If you are looking for what Grump was refering to, its in the LL.

http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopi ... 15&start=0

Other than that, I'll need you to promote me to Mod status so I can see inside the Forum Abuse folder.

Number 6 is here with me right now and she says its cool too. ;)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:35 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:17 am
Posts: 7159
Location: In HyperTransport
Yea, if you just made spider and I super-admin's we'd be able to tell you what goes on.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:31 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:42 am
Posts: 154
Location: teh Ether
WillSmith wrote:
Threads designed to ridicule, belittle or insult forum members should be locked because of rule 1. If they're not, please post a link in the Forum Abuse folder. That helps the mods find naughty posts faster.


This thread is long over-due. A moderator has even participated in it.

Grump


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:16 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:17 am
Posts: 7159
Location: In HyperTransport
Grump wrote:
WillSmith wrote:
Threads designed to ridicule, belittle or insult forum members should be locked because of rule 1. If they're not, please post a link in the Forum Abuse folder. That helps the mods find naughty posts faster.


This thread is long over-due. A moderator has even participated in it.

Grump


If a mod has participated in it its obviously fine. and as the mod said, its not to ridicule any one member, its just for all around flaming as joking around and fun. i would get pissed at you if your location wasnt the ether, i'm just gonna have to crush your "feeling" rebel ass grammaton style with my moves.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:12 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:22 pm
Posts: 27384
Location: In a cage, dumbass.
Grump wrote:
WillSmith wrote:
Threads designed to ridicule, belittle or insult forum members should be locked because of rule 1. If they're not, please post a link in the Forum Abuse folder. That helps the mods find naughty posts faster.


This thread is long over-due. A moderator has even participated in it.

Grump


Think I sorta already covered that.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:43 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:55 pm
Posts: 1670
Grump wrote:
You are absolutely mistaken on that. I have seen every foul word used in LL also used elsewhere.

Let me break it down to you this way, Grump. Foul words are going to be encountered in any post, thread, forum or board you visit. That is just a fact of life regarding the internet. Not that it makes it any better or worse, but I am sure that any child who reads a 'foul word' on these forums or anywhere else, hasn't already said it or encountered it at the playground at their school.

The other point I would like to make is the fact that you specified that you have seen every foul word in LL and everwhere else on the MPC forums. Last time I looked, there was no rule against uttering 'foul words' on these boards. Again, it comes down to parents policing their child's internet habits and knowing what is good and what is not good for them to read and/or participate in.

If you wish to really get technical about this Grump, I would have you know that while yes, bad langauge can be found throughout the MPC forums, you will NOT find bad behavior unless you look in the LL forum. And even then, as I pointed out earlier, it clearly states that one might encounter offensive posts/threads in it. And even if a thread or post existed outside of LL that was of bad behavior, the mods are quick to close it and move it to where it needs to be.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:06 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:42 am
Posts: 154
Location: teh Ether
garetjax wrote:
Let me break it down to you this way, Grump. Foul words are going to be encountered in any post, thread, forum or board you visit. That is just a fact of life regarding the internet.


No, let me break it down to you. If what you said was true, I would have said nothing. In fact, I would be participating in the cuss fest because my own verbiage is garbiage. I belong to a lot of forums. Most of them use cuss filters to "bleep" out many of the words commonly used here with impunity. And yes, I have seen a number of instances where these flames have burnt wildly on other areas of this site, not just the LL.

You're right, there is no rule concerning cussing specifically. It just happens and it's mostly ignored. I happen to feel that is a poor decision based on its affect on search engines and the way it reflects on the magazine. That's my opinion and I think I'm entitled to one. If the site operators say they listen to the feedback of its members, I don't think they mean only a specific few or those with a certain number of posts or only those who kiss the collective asses of the members with the most posts.

You definitely will not change my opinion about prolific and prevalent cussing. I don't care if it is the glue that you think holds this forum together. I don't care for it. I don't cuss in front of my customers, I don't cuss in front of my mother, I don't cuss in front of my neighbor's kids, I don't cuss in the store and I don't cuss in the lib'ary. Nothing you can say will make me think it's perfectly alright to cuss at or malign people that can't defend themselves. It's immature, cruel and completely unnecessary.

Grump


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:20 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:55 pm
Posts: 1670
Grump wrote:
No, let me break it down to you. If what you said was true, I would have said nothing. In fact, I would be participating in the cuss fest because my own verbiage is garbiage. I belong to a lot of forums. Most of them use cuss filters to "bleep" out many of the words commonly used here with impunity. And yes, I have seen a number of instances where these flames have burnt wildly on other areas of this site, not just the LL.

You're right, there is no rule concerning cussing specifically. It just happens and it's mostly ignored. I happen to feel that is a poor decision based on its affect on search engines and the way it reflects on the magazine. That's my opinion and I think I'm entitled to one. If the site operators say they listen to the feedback of its members, I don't think they mean only a specific few or those with a certain number of posts or only those who kiss the collective asses of the members with the most posts.

You definitely will not change my opinion about prolific and prevalent cussing. I don't care if it is the glue that you think holds this forum together. I don't care for it. I don't cuss in front of my customers, I don't cuss in front of my mother, I don't cuss in front of my neighbor's kids, I don't cuss in the store and I don't cuss in the lib'ary. Nothing you can say will make me think it's perfectly alright to cuss at or malign people that can't defend themselves. It's immature, cruel and completely unnecessary.

Grump

Allow me to make a few points perfectly clear to you my friend. As I had mentioned earlier in my responses to you, I made mention of the fact that if there was indeed a case where "flames have burnt wildly on other areas of this site, not just the LL" that the mods that pore over this board looking for such instances are quick to lock and move the thread out of that forum. Perhaps next time I should type that point in all CAPS in an effort that you wouldn't be so quick to lambast me with frivolous arguments that have no bearing whatsoever on the point you are trying to make.

In the end, friend, I could honestly care less about trying to change your opinion "about prolific and prevalent cussing" that occurs here. The fact of the matter is that it is indeed allowed here, most people are responsible enough to keep in within the LL forum, and honestly, that is good enough for me and seemingly the rest of the people that participate on this board. I have not seen a prolific amount of posts, save for yours, whining about the badness that cussing incurs here on these forums. Feel free to point me in the right direction if I am wrong on this point, however.

Additionally, friend, I do not enjoy you trying to shove words in my mouth, such as "I don't care if it is the glue that you think holds this forum together." It would appear that in my attempts to be as objective to you and your posts as possible, you somehow have mistaken me to be a proponent of the cussing that occurs here, which in fact, is simply not true. MPC has rules here, and I follow them. If the rules one day state that they will no longer tolerate foul language, then I will cease to use foul language. Until then, unlike you, I will use colorful words in my posts and threads as I see fit.

You mention, "Nothing you can say will make me think it's perfectly alright to cuss at or malign people that can't defend themselves." And who exactly are the ones that cannot defend themselves? Furthermore, who exactly are the people that outright cuss or malign people who can't defend themselves? Members of this board are and have been banned for being outright mean to people here, so again, your arguments at this juncture are null and void.

Word to the wise, and perhaps this is not my place to say, but I will anyway. If you have this much dislike for the content and behavior of the people on this board, who govern themselves within the rules and regulations as set forth by the mods of said board, then perhaps you should leave and not bother coming back.

After all, you did say: "I belong to a lot of forums. Most of them use cuss filters to "bleep" out many of the words commonly used here with impunity." If you perceive that the grass is greener on the other side, well, friend, don't let the door hit you on the way out.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:31 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:42 am
Posts: 154
Location: teh Ether
garetjax wrote:
... my friend...In the end, friend...Additionally, friend...


Just as you are in the near entirety of your reply, you are wrong, wrong wrong. I am not your friend, don't wish to be and think your poor excuse for sarcasm is equal to your fake naïveté about the absence of malice throughout the forums. This thread is but one small example of what I have been saying. I won't be doing any more of your work, do a search yourself on certain key words or just do a search on a couple of the most foul mouthed members to see if they aren't foul mouthed in places other than LL.

It always irks me when someone says if I don't like it here I should leave. Why do you think I am here? You take a look at my posts here and see if I don't enjoy helping people and sharing in the kinds of extended discussion the magazine prompts. I look at the MaximumPC Forums as an extension of the MaximumPC magazine. It's not me that's out of place here. If the MaximumPC Forums is not going to be representative of the content and demeanor I find in the magazine, then maybe the magazine should divorce itself from the forum.

Everything should grow and mature. It's time the forums do so as well. If the magazine wants to appeal to the juvenile crowd and not the diverse spectrum of people that actually read the magazine, then maybe the magazine will slant its editorial content in that direction. It doesn't look that way to me. It isn't so far fetched for me to expect the forums to reflect the content of the magazine. I am just one small segment of the readership -- older, professional, enthusiast with a little money to spend on quality components and the desire and ability to put a machine together far outside of the average box. Not only do I like reading about it while I sit on the toilet, I enjoy interacting with like minded individuals online. You would think MaximumPC Forums would be the ideal place to do that.

My complaint remains that it is not the ideal place in my mind. I imagine I am not alone. I am a bit more vociferous than some, so you won't find a lot of guys like me complaining like this. That doesn't mean the status quo is acceptable to everyone. Believe it or not, the Feedback forum is not just for kudos and people like you to whine about forward thinking people like me. It is for the honest sharing of opinion, pro or con, concerning the site.

You don't have to like it, bub. And you don't have to pretend to like me either. Please. I have no doubt your opinion is just as valuable to MaxPC as the next guy, but then, so is mine. Unfortunate, isn't it?

Grump


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

© 2014 Future US, Inc. All rights reserved.