Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Break room went bye-bye?
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:34 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

superchip wrote:
Due to the number of people hijacking and derailing threads, directly and indirectly attacking members of the forum, as well as the lack of good, non-flaming/toasting topics, we 'The Admin Staff' have decided to close The Break Room for an indefinite period of time.

Will TBR return? Maybe in a reduced state, maybe in its full regalia, maybe not at all.

The lack of good, non-flaming topics uhm, have you looked around? You may as well just close the doors then. Who decides what is good or bad? If a thread has been a RUNNING thread for weeks, the general consensus is obviously that its a good thread. It has participation and readers, kind of like what the web site just lost a bunch of.

I am at a loss for understanding the wisdom in this move.
the OFF TOPIC banter was contained in the ONE place it should have been. It did not spill out into the open forum, or run down the streets spreading havoc and mayhem.
Yet the "moderators" felt it needed to be on topic? The very nature of the subject defines itself as OFF TOPIC! To insist that the ocean waves be orderly or we will disallow the ocean is silly.

This reeks of if I cant have it my way , I will take my toys an go home.

Man this place used to be awesome. I'm down for a new site to I suppose. Really considering letting my subscription lapse Nov'12 when its up for renewal as well.
Just a pity, kind of like watching a friend die from cancer. It just keeps taking away from what you loved until there is just none of them left.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:22 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Location: Almost there, once in a while. Folding as Arborist_Treeman
Going to start hanging out at the Gimp forums.

Have been thinking about starting a thread asking for links to favorite threads in TBR but thought it would be limited without including the LL. There were/are a lot of interesting and informative threads in both, music threads, movie threads, PSOTM and various others. If some one was willing to do the work it would be nice to have a read only place for the good ones from both. There is a lot of history in both of them.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:22 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I've been hanging out more at the EVGA forums as of late, but I still check on here since I get my e-mail alerts :) It just seems that more of us focused, sadly, on the threads in the BR more than anywhere else, and I'm guessing it's cuz it felt more like a social area than the rest of the forum did. Kinda feels empty, but I sure hope it curtails all the crap that was going on in there. It should allow for some easier and better moderation, and hopefully less threats with the ban hammer :) Peace y'all!

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:44 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

bleeping computers has an AWESOME forum
lots of content and they have a general chat area that is similar to what we have lost

you will see my name on that forum, same as here you CAN NOT miss me lol

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:31 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Can anyone recommend some good modding forums? lol

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:09 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

That's it. This is happening. When I get home today I'm firing up my server. Might take me a day or two to get things configured but I'm starting an MPC replacement forum. I've been wanting to make a new Beehive forum for awhile.

Ideas on the name? I'm thinking something about Commport Redux. Fuck I think that's it right there. "The Commport Redux" would give an acronym of TCR - which is awesome.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:58 pm 

Let me know when it's up. I'll be there.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:10 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

I'm in ... Just don't make me a mod.

Incidentally, this post was written on my new iPad2 (thanks for the freebie, work!) using my (android) phone as a wifi hotspot. I love this gadget stuff. This is the kind of thing I should be discussing in the Break Room.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:26 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Tell me all about it at crunktimes bro.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:40 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

so when you hooked the iPad to the android phone, a rip in the space time continuum didn't open over your head as the hand of Steve Jobs ripped the phone from your hand? Surely there must have been a disturbance in the force.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:36 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Nope. The iPad doesn't even know it is using my phone ... It just sees a wifi access point. ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:17 pm 

Just joined this site because I saw what happened to TBR. I used to be on it all the time (same user name Target Dawg) when I worked at Target from 07-09, it really helped having that resource available. It's sad to see such a great (used to be great I guess) site vanish like that.

I'm going back as a SrTL and I was hoping to get a peak at those interview questions that used to be posted. I wanted to PM SuperChip64 but apparently there is no PMing on this board? So can someone get into contact with him for me and see if I could get a copy of those interview questions? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I really hope they reconsider and reopen the site, I appreciated it as a resource to help me do my job better :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:53 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

What interview questions are you referring to?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:30 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Wasted some time haggling over a car last night - got the server up and created a VM for the web hosting. God damn my nostalgia machine underpowered. For anyone curious it's specs:

All this in an Antec chemning style case - remember those? Fuck yeah I got that window
Athlon 2400XP - because I lost my 1800XP
Abit NF7-S - last and best nforce2 mobo with the nforce audio
ATI 9500 - awww yeah you know it's soft mod-able to a 9700.
1 GB RAM - I probably have another GB I can throw in there
80 GB WD drive - I forget what made this so special but IIRC when it came out it was the shit in price/performance, oh yeah 8mb caaaaaache
NEC 2xxx something optical drive. Back when I gave a shit about burners this was the $30 burner you wanted whether you knew it or not
I added a gigabit and a USB card so I'd have modern connectivity options

Tonight I'm going to try and get the AMP in LAMP working. I've done it in linux before but I have much more exp with windows. Does anyone have experience with cheap LAMP hosting companies? Google led me to a few suspiciously cheap options: http://www.webhostingsearch.com/linux-web-hosting.php

The two offputting things about most of those options is
1 They mostly want $100 up front ($5 x 24 months) and
2 They list latency as average of 500-600 - sure I'm not hosting an FPS server but that points to seriously saturated bandwidth. I do not want to offer a forum with > 200 ms ping. I don't have tolerance for that shit and I wouldnt expect anyone else to put up with it either.

No I don't expect them to make good on their "unlimited space and bandwidth" claims but a forum in its infancy wouldn't require much and I'm guessing I'd get at least a year before the forum would start requiring the bandwidth to flag it as a leach.

Fuck it, I have bandwidth I'll use that for now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:12 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Holy nostalgia, batman .. I had the same board running an Athy XP-M .. fantastic gear for its time. Best onboard audio ever.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:24 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Jipstyle wrote:
Holy nostalgia, batman .. I had the same board running an Athy XP-M .. fantastic gear for its time. Best onboard audio ever.

XP-M? Those took years to come out. You were late to the game. Poser.

<- always wanted one for the increased OC-ability.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:37 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

urmumsacow wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

XP-M? Those took years to come out. You were late to the game. Poser.

<- always wanted one for the increased OC-ability.

Heh .. yeah, and I bought it used from a guy who pulled it from a broken laptop, iirc. It was a while ago. It was the second chip put into the board, though. I loved that NF7-S and the XP-M really brought the best out of that .. that was an oc'ing beast.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:22 am 

Target Dawg wrote:
Just joined this site because I saw what happened to TBR. I used to be on it all the time (same user name Target Dawg) when I worked at Target from 07-09, it really helped having that resource available. It's sad to see such a great (used to be great I guess) site vanish like that.

I'm going back as a SrTL and I was hoping to get a peak at those interview questions that used to be posted. I wanted to PM SuperChip64 but apparently there is no PMing on this board? So can someone get into contact with him for me and see if I could get a copy of those interview questions? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I really hope they reconsider and reopen the site, I appreciated it as a resource to help me do my job better :(

lol wat? If you just joined, you never knew there was a break room because it was invisible to the outside, non-registered world. Nice try though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:43 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

There are a lot of things that didnt make sense about his post monkey... why stop there?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:44 am 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

PM_DMNKLR wrote:
I've been hanging out more at the EVGA forums as of late,

Meh, that place isn't all that much fun though. I mostly go there for the Marketplace. The "regulars" there just seem, odd to me. idk.

Most of my spammage goes to the Firefall forums and my home away from home the Soldiers of the Wasteland site and forums. That's where my gaming homies have been for the last few years. Very open place, all are welcome! We're mostly old fart gamers, BS about whatever.

I'll check out mum's new place when he gets it running :)

EDIT:
And we haz a shoutbox! :shock:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next