Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Private Messages Email Notify
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:18 am 
Northwood
Northwood
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:27 pm
Posts: 3311
Location: Toronto, ON
I got 1 new private message, but the forums sent me 20 emails over a course of 4 hours notifying me that I have the same new message. Is there a way of fixing this short of disabling email notifications?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Private Messages Email Notify
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:27 am 
Northwood
Northwood
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:27 pm
Posts: 3311
Location: Toronto, ON
OK, I'm getting this thing even after I've checked the private message. I'll disable it for now until a fix is found.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Private Messages Email Notify
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:07 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 5:32 am
Posts: 4294
I just got 50+ notifications for 2 new PM's





Ted


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Private Messages Email Notify
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:40 am 
Northwood
Northwood
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:27 pm
Posts: 3311
Location: Toronto, ON
Still getting emails after disabling notifications in settings.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Private Messages Email Notify
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:27 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:47 am
Posts: 10158
Location: Between 32nd Notes
We are aware of this and have notified the ones capable of fixing it.

For now try going to your User Control Panel>Board preferences>Edit global settings and then select NO for email notifications and then submit.

Exit out of there and then go back in and select YES.

Let me know if that works or not. Doing this for thread subscriptions seems to work.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Private Messages Email Notify
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:42 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 11:48 am
Posts: 167
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Satchboy wrote:
We are aware of this and have notified the ones capable of fixing it.

For now try going to your User Control Panel>Board preferences>Edit global settings and then select NO for email notifications and then submit.

Exit out of there and then go back in and select YES.

Let me know if that works or not. Doing this for thread subscriptions seems to work.

I have received 25+ emails in the past 24 hours for only two threads, each with one new post.
I tried disabling and re-enabling email notifications, but it does not work.
Is there something else I can try?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Private Messages Email Notify
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:56 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:22 pm
Posts: 27396
Location: In a cage, dumbass.
JE_Delta wrote:
Satchboy wrote:
We are aware of this and have notified the ones capable of fixing it.

For now try going to your User Control Panel>Board preferences>Edit global settings and then select NO for email notifications and then submit.

Exit out of there and then go back in and select YES.

Let me know if that works or not. Doing this for thread subscriptions seems to work.

I have received 25+ emails in the past 24 hours for only two threads, each with one new post.
I tried disabling and re-enabling email notifications, but it does not work.
Is there something else I can try?


Try deleting the emails.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Private Messages Email Notify
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:03 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:47 am
Posts: 10158
Location: Between 32nd Notes
I'm still waiting for a reply from the tech guys so I have nothing for you to try right now.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Private Messages Email Notify
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:22 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 11:48 am
Posts: 167
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Spider Monkey wrote:
JE_Delta wrote:
Satchboy wrote:
We are aware of this and have notified the ones capable of fixing it.

For now try going to your User Control Panel>Board preferences>Edit global settings and then select NO for email notifications and then submit.

Exit out of there and then go back in and select YES.

Let me know if that works or not. Doing this for thread subscriptions seems to work.

I have received 25+ emails in the past 24 hours for only two threads, each with one new post.
I tried disabling and re-enabling email notifications, but it does not work.
Is there something else I can try?


Try deleting the emails.

And what do you hope that will accomplish? :? hmmmmm?


P.S. I already did :)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Private Messages Email Notify
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:52 am 
Malware specialist
Malware specialist
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:49 pm
Posts: 11696
Location: Kansas City, KS
Perhaps if you guys are using Gmail you can create a filter to auto-delete (or just archive them) all of the e-mail notifications (will require a change in e-mail which you should be able to, I think).

This would require Gmail, but may be a workaround for some that do not like all of the e-mail notifications.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Private Messages Email Notify
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:26 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:47 am
Posts: 10158
Location: Between 32nd Notes
Actually Gmail bundles emails from the same source into one listing and you can expand to see the subsequent items.

So this would eliminate the clutter even if you still receive multiple emails.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Private Messages Email Notify
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:47 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:22 pm
Posts: 27396
Location: In a cage, dumbass.
hackman2007 wrote:
Perhaps if you guys are using Gmail you can create a filter to auto-delete (or just archive them) all of the e-mail notifications (will require a change in e-mail which you should be able to, I think).

This would require Gmail, but may be a workaround for some that do not like all of the e-mail notifications.



You can create 'rules' in Outlook, too bro.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: "Views" are being treated as replies.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:09 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 5:51 am
Posts: 32
I believe what is happening is, every time someone "views" a thread. the software sees that as a 'reply' and treats it as such.
I have three threads and one returned only a few e-mail notifications, where as the others bomb me with dozens.

BTW, the title of this thread is incorrect. It has nothing to do with "Private Messages" which is why I didn't see it when I posted my thread.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Views" are being treated as replies.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:49 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 5:32 am
Posts: 4294
videobruce wrote:
I believe what is happening is, every time someone "views" a thread. the software sees that as a 'reply' and treats it as such.
I have three threads and one returned only a few e-mail notifications, where as the others bomb me with dozens.

BTW, the title of this thread is incorrect. It has nothing to do with "Private Messages" which is why I didn't see it when I posted my thread.


It started out talking about PM's, but then shifted to threads





Ted


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Private Messages Email Notify
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:39 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:40 pm
Posts: 24373
Location: South of heaven
Then back to both then...

MPC is in my spam box. 212 unread messages from MPC and my console is set to not send me emails. I use to get none with this setting in the forums unless I've been a bad boy. I've also refreshed and have 75 unread PM's which I in fact have read all but 4. I'm in ever section of the forums and every time someone replies I get an email. Same with PM's. I'm running blind here dudes...

Even in the forum itself, I can have 75 unread PM's, read 71 of them, and there's still 75 unread. I've read them. I've seen them. Perhaps this has to do with the other topic I just started about knowing what thread is read and is not read. MPC/Forums is running blind too?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Private Messages Email Notify
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:41 pm 
8086
8086
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:11 pm
Posts: 13
I'm sorry, but how long does it take to fix this simple bug? 3 weeks since this topic started, still nothing changed. Every 10-15 minutes receiving email about topic that got one reply. Obviously its the same bug affecting PM notifications and topic subscriptions.

You are loosing reputation at least in my eyes, soon you'll be referring to as minimumPC...(note the lower case) :lol:

/me made sure topic subscription is not selected before submitting this one :)

P.S.
This topic shifted to thread subscription, because other similar topics being locked with a link to this topic.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Private Messages Email Notify
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:28 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:37 am
Posts: 331
Location: Maximum PC Secret Headquarters
Is anyone still having this problem?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Private Messages Email Notify
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:39 am 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:41 pm
Posts: 1306
Location: Mahaska County Correctional Facilty
nedwards wrote:
Is anyone still having this problem?


No sir, not since that first time like the OP


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Private Messages Email Notify
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:07 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 11:48 am
Posts: 167
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
nedwards wrote:
Is anyone still having this problem?


I did not have the problem when you posted, I only received one notification.
Same goes for when mark_b_smith_II posted, one notification and that's it

It is fixed for me :D


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

© 2014 Future US, Inc. All rights reserved.