Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: regarding the molex power
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:13 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I was looking at building a custom HI/LO fan selector. I saw a guide that uses an ON-OFF-ON switch to switch between 5 and 12 V. What I'm not sure about is whether I have to have each fan connected to the molex or if one molex cable can be used to power the circuit. I didn't really understand that part from the instructions:

http://metku.net/index.html?path=mods/baybus/index_eng

Thanks

Post subject: Re: regarding the molex power
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:16 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

You can modify the circuit so that each switch is in parallel. Or you can get a male<->female plug so you can daisy chain.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:02 am 
Team Member
Team Member

While on the topic of DIY fan controllers, how do I figure out the power rating of this kind of setup? The commercial options say stuff like 4W/channel. 20W/channel, etc. From the looks of it, this kind of baybus is just switching the amount of voltage to the fan, right? The sunbeam rheobus, nzxt sentry are some kind of resistive fan controller, right?

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:43 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Probably.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:32 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I've built a couple of these over the years. While resistive loading a fan to control a fan's speed is not really the best way, it's easily done at home with a little smoke and solder. What you may want to watch for is the forward biasing voltage needed to illuminate the LED. Like on mine, I had blue LED's which are lit when on and red LED's when off. Both called for different voltages for their states and complicated the resistor mess on the back side while still driving the fan. Here's the Beta I still drag around to check WTF I'm doing when doing it still today:
Not pretty, but wasn't suppose to be really. Once you get an ugly mess like that you can translate it over to cleaner breadboards or even get more complicated and get into actual IC chips for fan logic.

A rheobus isn't really resistive in this sense. What we're doing here is placing external resistors to eat power for lowering fan speeds (or just making an LED glow) where a rheostat puts that back on the PSU [very basically]. The rheostat behaves like a resistor but doesn't eat the power. With those, you still want to limit the minimal power at the "0" point to be 7v vise 0v since that's the basic start up speed of the average fan.

To figure out the power rating: Ohm's law/P.I.E. Chart. Fans have ratings stamped right on them and you adjust your design accordingly. P(W) = I over R. A common molex will be able to drive MANY fans off one bay device with no problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:24 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

In case you want to vary your fan speed I found this simple solution on the interwebs:

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2001/12 ... _control/1

Nasty