Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Heads up - PC Sector is headed for Worst Second Half Ever
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:22 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Prices fall, we win. Keep you eyes open and ear to the ground.

Post subject: Re: Heads up - PC Sector is headed for Worst Second Half Eve
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:09 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

There's a lot of speculation there for both directions. When we talk about stock worth about the business side of things, it get's pretty murky. Stock is souly based upon investors, the company's direction, and how that's dissolved into the investor's monetary taste buds. Will Intel lose money? Yup. Will Intel's adjustments scare investors that are in it just for the money? Yup, and I'm sure they're bailing. Is it an indicator of the industry as a whole or the movement of the company? Not at all...they're just money movers and not at all technical indicators.

I feel Intel is fine in the stocks, but MS scares the shit out of me. They're not just PC, but were the focal point of the last big Mac release. "Oh, they got Ivybridge...big deal". I feel Win8 is a disaster just as ME and Vista, but there's hope in that it pulls through with the Win8 mobile release (Nokia 920) and some dream that it can make it to a tablet (Surface=up in the air) and get the OEM's to buy into touch PC's on our desks. I digress...Intel is fine and is a hold, but MS and the PC OEM's should make a re-take. Dell is moving to support for gains and not boxes and outside of that people aren't buying pre-built OEMs currently or a long time to come. They're buying smart phones and tablets as all they ever really needed as a whole is a phone with basic internet shit bundled in.

We're a bit elite and are blind for the most part. We know the need for power. But the masses just need a device to post FB/Twitter quickies and do about 5 Instagram pictures a day to make their day. That's where the smart-phone itself is really clouding the expectations of PC's as a whole. Hell, we've seen this forum itself fall flat on it's face as most move to one-way mobile media.

Will PC's die? No. Will it be bad for PC stock holders? Yup. Is it an indicator of PC's falling at all? I say no...but that's with the hope that humanity doesn't just click and pick their $500 life decisions. I feel they're sheep and overspend for a limited iTablet instead of a desktop for $500 and only education can help that. There will always be iN00bs at Disney Land/World taking pictures/videos with iPads instead of a point and shoot (or a serious DSLR for the same price). And there will be Fire Fans that just want a simple device to read books and do minor App gaming. Somewhere in there are us, and I feel we've always been there and we don't flex a whole lot on our choices.

Geeks in the know always have a desktop. We may have a Tablet or smartphone (pick your flavor) for a side gadget, but we also know the importance of a powerful desktop. The masses flux a lot and have never really affected us, but I think the current downgrade is only from the outflux of users that were never really intended for our crowd, AMD nor Intel are really fully in this market, and that people don't have $2K to toss around as we focus on debt rather than toys.

All just my opinion. PC sector is headed for a bad section, but not a true indicator of direction. I think it's in for a buy as console gaming dies on the vine (besides 10yo's their parents purchase as babysitters), PC gaming grows again, and folks grow old of simple Roku boxes for aged streaming media. Basically, the non-informed are buying simple devices, finding limitations, and are opening their eyes that it's just not what they want.

Edit: Changed 930 to 920.

Last edited by Chumly on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:55 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Gee, a saturated item not meeting expectations or surpassing them year after year. It's like saying the Wii is taking a dive in sales... yeah because everyone in their mother has one.

It'll rebound and then we'll start throwing ticker tape confetti in celebration

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:37 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I want to agree, but can't articulate it correctly. Go figure ;P

Wii is old and not capturing new users like they thought. Xbox was old and got a short breath of air with some stupid motion add-on. Sony is somehow just ignoring it all and dismissing any and all changes in their demographic for that one item they happen to sell. PC games are on the rise due to the lack of emotion and the physical ability for these companies to stay up to date on the hardware. Think about it...the Xbox has had one update and at least 6 iPhones released. Wii is still the Wii and the Sony is still the Sony. We're facing 7 years of stagnation in consoles.

I know gamers won't agree, but PC's are easier to upgrade in the end. $300 for a card every other year or so or $350 for a full box upgrade every 5 years. You better like joybuttons vise a mouse+100 keys a lot in order to go that route IMO.

I don't think gamers hold the reigns of the PC sector though. It's simply the move to new abilities given by mobile devices that add on to the troubles the PC faces. We were rare when this spike began, took the influx as it grew, but as it's been made more simple with the growing smart phone industry...they don't need a box on their desk in order to do the basic tasks anymore we once covered.

I want to say it's the dumbing down, but that's not correct at all. If your phone has more power than the Apollo 11, I say use it. What use to need the PC is now widely available and we just need to adjust to that. I fired up my Palm just the other day in order to take a look and I instantly saw how far we've moved as a whole way too quickly. There's currently a niche for the PC and they just have to target that better (while most move out of PC building at adapt to "support" [12 people to build it, 120 to support it). Follow Apple for now. They haven't done much with the desktop market for a long time now and moved up quickly relatively. They're not doing what we do though. Gamers should also follow what Steam's preaching.

Babbling, calling it a night...