Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Updating BIOS on ASUS.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:52 pm 

I'm thinking of buying an Asus 7-series motherboard. Probably H77.
Does Asus have @Bios motherboard?

Gigabyte has @Bios. It's the easiest way to update/flash the Bios.
1. Install program.
2. Run program.
3. Auto-detects motherboard version and BIOS version.
4. Select download server.
5. Done!

If your internet connection or power supply is disrupted, there's dual BIOS, so no worries at all there. Does ASUS have dual BIOS too?

Post subject: Re: Updating BIOS on ASUS.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:59 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

ASUS probably has a similar tool. And the last time I did a BIOS update, ASUS boards have a bootloader that if the BIOS update does fail, you can slurp one in from a thumb drive.

However, you normally don't need to update unless there's a hardware issue.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:08 pm 

Ewww! Thumb-drives!
How inconvenient is that?!

So, for ASUS, there's indeed no Bios-uploading program that runs in Windows (like Gigabyte's @Bios)?
Does Asrock or MSI have it then?

"you normally don't need to update unless there's a hardware issue."
That's the conventional wisdom. And it's pretty much correct, of course.
But with Gigabyte making Bios updates so easy and fool-proof, I update my Bios as often as I update my anti-virus definition *lol*

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:16 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

quas wrote:
Ewww! Thumb-drives!

Uh... what? I actually think it's safer to update the BIOS from the BIOS itself where it has less variables (i.e., Windows) to make the process go wrong. And that requires a thumb drive. It could be worse, it could ask for a floppy.

Quote:
So, for ASUS, there's indeed no Bios-uploading program that runs in Windows (like Gigabyte's @Bios)?

Probably. It seems standard these days to have a one-touch BIOS updater on Windows.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:46 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
quas wrote:
Ewww! Thumb-drives!

Uh... what? I actually think it's safer to update the BIOS from the BIOS itself where it has less variables (i.e., Windows) to make the process go wrong. And that requires a thumb drive. It could be worse, it could ask for a floppy.

Okay, it's not that inconvenient, but I just want to update my BIOS the easiest, laziest way.

Quote:

Probably. It seems standard these days to have a one-touch BIOS updater on Windows.[/quote]
Probably, hmmmm?
But you are 100% positive that ASUS does not have that program, even on their latest 6/7-series boards?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:16 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Go look it up in their downloads page for a program. I don't update my BIOS (and I do it through BIOS anyway) enough to care if a motherboard has a one-touch program.

Also there's a good possibility anyway that everyone (or at least everyone worth their salt) does the update method by doubling the space BIOS needs, writing the update on one half, then after verifying it works, tells the bootloader where the new BIOS is. Or some other schema.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:05 am 

OK. It's not easily found through the download page, but I finally got the info I need.

Asus uses "Asus Update".
MSI uses "MSI Live Utility".
Don't know what Asrock uses.

LatiosXT wrote:
Also there's a good possibility anyway that everyone (or at least everyone worth their salt) does the update method by doubling the space BIOS needs, writing the update on one half, then after verifying it works, tells the bootloader where the new BIOS is. Or some other schema.

Doubling BIOS space? In where? The harddrive?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:49 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

In the flash memory where the BIOS sits. Flash memory is cheap now, and BIOS ROMs take up like 2MB. I would be hard pressed to believe that someone wouldn't do this for cost reasons.

This also pretty much renders Gigabyte's Dual-BIOS feature moot. Although in their case, Gigabyte just has whatever version BIOS on a ROM chip that can't ever be written to.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:48 pm 

What do you mean by double the space the BIOS need? The cheapest USB drive probably has 2GB of space. The BIOS takes up 2MB and then what? You need to reserve an extra 2MB for what?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:30 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

It seems you don't understand the firmware update method I'm describing.

The obvious way of updating firmware is to simply write over the current one with the updated software image. However, this has the problem of if the process gets interrupted or you have a corrupt image, your hardware will not work because there's no proper firmware installed. Or worse, the firmware will run, but since it's incomplete, will crash.

The safer way of updating firmware is to store it on memory that's twice the size of the software image. Since BIOS is normally 2MB, the flash memory where it'll reside has to be at least 4MB. The firmware itself thus takes up half the memory space it's given. When it's time to update, the firmware itself writes over to the other half of the memory space, checks to make sure the copied image is valid, and then modifies in some other non-volatile memory some pointer to tell the bootloader (probably stored in RAM) where the firmware really is. This way, if the update process gets interrupted or the software image is corrupt, the bootloader will still point to the firmware originally present.

The thumb disk has nothing to do with it other than the fact it's where most BIOS update tools look at, since it's almost guaranteed to be of some universal partition format (FAT32).