Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: hard drive help
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:34 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I have a 1.5TB hard drive as my main and a 1TB as back up. I'm running out of space and I was wondering about upgrading to a higher capacity hard drive.

I have Windows 7 64-bit OS with an Intel i7 920 and 6GB of RAM in triple channel.

What's the largest capacity hard drive I can get? I see a 4Tb hard drive on newegg. Should be a big upgrade for me. Also, will I lose performance?

Post subject: Re: hard drive help
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:02 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You can get as big of a hard drive as you need. The only trouble you'll have is that the legacy formatting scheme, MBR, only supports up to 2TB. You'll have to reformat it as GPT (Windows 7 can do this). The issue with going GPT however, is OS's (or their versions) older than Windows Vista won't recognize it (I could be wrong).

You also can't boot on partitions formatted in GPT unless your BIOS supports a work around or are using UEFI.

Post subject: Re: hard drive help
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:25 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
You can get as big of a hard drive as you need. The only trouble you'll have is that the legacy formatting scheme, MBR, only supports up to 2TB. You'll have to reformat it as GPT (Windows 7 can do this). The issue with going GPT however, is OS's (or their versions) older than Windows Vista won't recognize it (I could be wrong).

You also can't boot on partitions formatted in GPT unless your BIOS supports a work around or are using UEFI.

How about we split it into 2 partition each @2TB or split into another 3 or 4 partition? I think we can still use the older tipe of partition scheme