Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution vs GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:43 pm 

ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution vs GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4. Any takers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:18 am 
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
Million Club 5+ [PC]*

this vs. this?

there is a $110 price difference. what criteria are you comparing them by?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:56 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

The Revolution has NO PCI slots, no floppy connector, no firewire, and no IDE connector. Basically it's void of all legacy device capabilities. It also adds SAS

It's plus is that statement, but can be it's negative as well. If you don't have a PCIe x1 soundcard, you're using onboard sound.

The revolution is also capable of x16 SLI for all three cards where the Gigabyte is not capable of that. It's still capable of 3-way SLI, but the 3rd card is running x8...which is perfectly fine really.

The Revolution is a very nice board. It has the same overclocking potential of the Maximus Forumla and P6T Deluxe, and is just a more sophisticated platform IMO. Anyone looking in that price range and class would be hard pressed to find a better board.

The other boards, like the Gigabyte listed here, really wouldn't disappoint most users either though. Not many actually go for 3-way SLI out of the gate, care about "true" x16 throughout in that arrangement, and have troubles diving into all PCIe add-in cards. It costs $100 more for those very features most builders really don't need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:07 pm 

Thanks that was very helpful in making my decision. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:18 pm 

I noticed that the Gigabyte board advertises for ATI rather than NVIDIA. Is there something embedded in the mobo that would make one card faster than the other, or is it just a sponsorship thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:29 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

JATMON wrote:
I noticed that the Gigabyte board advertises for ATI rather than NVIDIA. Is there something embedded in the mobo that would make one card faster than the other, or is it just a sponsorship thing?
No. The gigabyte won't do 3-way purely and get a pretty nVidia sticker, so...how would you spin it? Can't.

ATI don't put restrictions on using their capabilities. Because there aren't much. Plug it in, they work. nVidia? It's not sponsership, it's their sick game of allowing you to use them or not.

You can put 3 nvidia cards in both. You can do SLI even. Just one is pimping their x16 by 3 sales pitch and pulled it off and get a sticker. Two x16 and one x8 at the double pumped PCIe 2.0 standards is SLI still...oh wait...two cards still is I thought.

Sales my friend. You get a picture of a sticker on a website if you buy into it.

Case in point: PCP&C 750W Power supply. One is red, one is not. Why is red cheaper? Same exact unit, different prices. And now there's a blue one that costs more than both...weird shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:15 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

The Revolution is one of only two motherboards on the market that utilizes the Nvidia NF200 chip...this is why you get true x16 on all three videocard slots if you decide to do tri-sli....the only other motherboard that uses the nf200 chip is the new EVGA Classified.

That being said, there is no comparison between the two mobos listed...the Revolution is hands down the better buy...unless you need firewire and a PCI slot for your soundcard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:52 pm 

Sometimes it takes a bit in the market to figure out why things are the way they are. I'm glad you took the time to figure out why that was. Thanks for the follow up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:26 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Most people are actually avoiding the boards with the NF200 chip as it increases heat...most people don't do tri-sli and if you really want a high end SLI/Crossfire set-up, I think dual 4870x2s or 295s are the way to go. EVGA is selling a lot more Classifieds that don't have the NF200 on it than the ones with them....if your going to spend $400 for a mobo than another $30 isn't that much more right?

Post subject: Re: ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution vs GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:23 am 

I have the ex58ud4 board. Need to know if this board has the nf200 chip as I have heard problems this causes issues with the ati r9 290 card giving black screens and reboots ( I already tried this card and took the card back thinking the card was faulty?)
Now I am not sure whether I can get this card again in case the motherboard is at fault?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:22 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

a1blues wrote:
I have the ex58ud4 board. Need to know if this board has the nf200 chip as I have heard problems this causes issues with the ati r9 290 card giving black screens and reboots ( I already tried this card and took the card back thinking the card was faulty?)
Now I am not sure whether I can get this card again in case the motherboard is at fault?

This isn't the place to post this (plus this topic is 5 years old). You should start a new topic on the Help Desk.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:41 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
a1blues wrote:

This isn't the place to post this (plus this topic is 5 years old). You should start a new topic on the Help Desk.

I didn't realize I couldn't reply in this topic ( It was a relevant question I asked specific to the topic )
I didn't know there was a time limit neither.
It is a good job I have such wise people leaving me such great knowledge meaning I still don't know the answer to my original question.
Would have been nice if you could have chipped in there rather than being pedantic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:51 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

*sigh*
Update the BIOS, install the card in the primary PCI-Express slot, make sure the appropriate drivers are installed and updated (chipset too), go start a new topic in the appropriate forum and get back to us when you've tried that.