Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Overheating GTX 460: from 45 C idle to 100 C load
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:18 pm 

I'm really in a bind.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I have been having some issues with a Zotac GeForce GTX 460 that I recently purchased and installed. The card's minimum power requirement is 450 W so I installed a 500 W power supply as well. (First time upgrading a PSU) I installed the driver for the card and made sure all of the power connectors were where they should be. And I proceeded to start up APB Reloaded (somewhat graphics intensive F2P game). Everything ran smoothly for about 8 minutes, until my monitor suddenly went into sleep mode and was stuck in that state and the only thing I could do was restart the PC.
At this point, I have run MSI Afterburner and watched as the GPU temperature gradually climbed from 40~50 degrees C (idle) to about 100 degrees C (with load).
Why is it getting this hot?
Is there anything I can do to alleviate this issue?
This card should easily be able to handle this game (and more), yet it heats up so quickly that I am not able to do anything.
Even during the installation I made sure to remove all of the dust from inside the case.
Could it be a defect in the card?

I have a feeling it has to do with the stock case's small size, but I'm not sure.
The PC has 8GB of RAM, a Core 2 Quad, ~300 GB of space, and is running Vista.
(Here's the actual PC: Newegg)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Post subject: Re: Overheating GTX 460: from 45 C idle to 100 C load
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:38 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
the first thing I would do is make sure the fan speed is up to at least 80%, nvidia has a bad habit of defaulting the fan speed to around 20%, there are several software programs that you can use to control the card, I use precision from evga myself

http://www.evga.com/precision/Default.asp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:53 pm 

g.m.waters (red ranger3) wrote:
the first thing I would do is make sure the fan speed is up to at least 80%, nvidia has a bad habit of defaulting the fan speed to around 20%, there are several software programs that you can use to control the card, I use precision from evga myself

http://www.evga.com/precision/Default.asp

I am using MSI afterburner and it seems the fan is locked at about 70% speed.
Even so, should the temperature rise to this extent?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:52 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Welcome to the forum!

First of all, you don't need a 500w psu to power one of these cards. The gtx 560 tdp is 160w, but I would have still advised you to replace the HP crap psu' with a better one, so good call on that :D . Second, Zotac isn't exactly the "best" brand to make quality boards, but at least they aren't as bad as galaxy's. I really haven't heard terrible things from friends who use them, but their boards don't overclock as good as some others.

If you are using MSI after burner, make sure you have the fan speed set to "Auto". Just like what Red has said, the default fan speed is 20% and if you don't have it set to auto, running a fan profile, then you could be stuck at 20% fan speed all the time. Also, 45C at idle is kinda high for that card, but probably due to the shitty HP case not providing you with proper cooling. You should be getting 34C at idle and 72C on load with a 21C room temp.