Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: is my video card working ?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:15 am 
Team Member
Team Member

how can i find out if my gtx560ti is working as good as it is able to ?

i also have an 8800 and it seems to be as good if not better than the 560,wich realy bothers me . i thought there would be a huge differance in the two cards .

these are my system specs

Motherboard------gigabyte p45-ud3l
Operating syst.-------win xp sp3
Cpu-----------------Intel q9400 oc’d to 3.2G
Cpu cooler---------corsaire h50
Ram----------------4G (1Gx4)
Primary hd---------wd 500G sata
Secondary hd-----wd250G ide
Secondary slave hd-wd160G ide
Video card---------nvidia GTX560TI
Sound--------------creative audigt 2 zs pci
Tv-------------------hauppauge 2200 pciex1
Psu-----------------PC Power And Cooling 920
Mouse-------------razer mamba
Keyboard----------raser black widow ult.
Monitor-----------samsung syncmaster 226bw
Rom---------------samsung supermulti

Post subject: Re: is my video card working ?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:37 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
the first question might be, what are you doing that you expect to see a big difference? I just upgraded recently myself from a 260/216 to a 560ti.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:38 am 
Team Member
Team Member

i use this computer for games only .

it seems to work without any distortion.

every time i would try to start a game of cod, it would freeze after a min.i had an ocz 550 psu at the time and thought that to be to weak , so i opted to install the pc power 910 which fixed the freeze .

in the couple of benchmarks i ran compairing my old gtx8800 to my new gtx560ti , the 8800 beat out the 560.

i just thought that the 560 would beat the gpu off of the 8800 but that wasn't the case.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:58 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
download something like precision from evga, and check the clocks on your card to make sure they are running at the speeds they are supposed to. you can get it here http://www.evga.com/precision/Default.asp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:16 am 
Team Member
Team Member

will do , thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:53 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Make sure you are running the latest drivers for both your video card and bios. Try to remove any unnecessary processes running in the background and use a gpu monitor program to make sure your card is being clocked correctly at the performance speeds when running graphically intense applications. I use the program TechPowerUp GPU-Z to check this, but make sure you click on the sensors tab and enable "continue refreshing this screen while GPU-Z is in the background".

You should noticed that running your desktop you should see it something running like 1/10th or 1/20th of the rated speeds for your core, memory and shader clock. If you aren't hitting your rated speeds, then either one things could be it.

1. Some sort of application or process is running in the background that hinders your card from running in full potential. This could be multiple services or applications running at the same time that would access your video card sensors.

2. Some sort of driver issues that keep the card running in 2d draw mode. You can try to force the driver to run in "prefer maximum performance" mode under the power management mode setting in the Nvidia Control Panel.

To access this CP, right click on your desktop and go to Nvidia CP. Then click on the 3D Settings >> Manage 3D settings selection from the left task bar. Scroll down to "Power management mode" and set to max performance under the "Global Settings" tab. Also select the same max performance under the "Power management mode" under the "Programs Settings" tab.
    If you still have issues, try starting windows in safe mode, uninstall your display drivers, run ccleaner and re-install the latest display drivers.

3. If you still have issues, then see if any HIDs(Human Interface Devices) is preventing the graphics card running at full steam.

If all else fails, visit your manufacturer's website and search their forums (EVGA forums is a good source to troubleshoot) or put in a troubleshooting ticket.