Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How do I connect 6 To 8 Monitors to This Desktop ?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:02 am 

Hi,

Just bought a new Desktop XPS 8300 Desktop from Dell with following specs.

I didn't foresee that I would need 6 to 8 monitors when I ordered this PC.

I want to use these monitors for watching live stock charts which update in Real time and need minimum 1920X1080 resolution on each of the 24 inch monitors.

I don't play any games at all but do watch Videos.

I would like to connect as many 24 inch monitors as possible but at least 6 at a minimum & 8 will be better yet. ( 24 inch with 1920X1080 )

What changes do I need to make to connect 6 to 8 Monitors to it ?

I have not bought the monitors yet.

Dell XPS 8300

One PCIe 16 slot

3 PCIe 1 slots ( One is Free ) ( Other 2 have sound card & TV Tuner Card & I can throw them away if needed )

460 Watt Power Supply

i7-2600 Processor (3.4GHz, 8MB Cache)

Chipset IntelĀ® H67

8GB (4X2GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz Memory

NVIDIA GeForce GT530 - 1GB GDDR3 (VGA/HDMI/DVI)

Windows - 7 Ultimate ( 64 bit )

Thank you all.

Post subject: Re: How do I connect 6 To 8 Monitors to This Desktop ?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:19 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Unfortunately, your small dell 8300 really restricts your upgrade abilities in a multitude of ways: physical space, the fact that the motherboard only has 1x pcie x16 slot and 3x pcie x1 slots, the dismal 460w PSU, and any heat related issues to cooling.

You can replace the GT530 and grab any cheap AMD eyefinity card (Sapphire 5570, $55 AR) that will output to your first three monitors (instead of just 2) and then grab a pair of Zotac Ion pcie x1 gpu's for $60 a pop. This should be the cheapest and easiest solution of what your system can handle, but don't expect any miracles when running this system. Just make sure you plan out all of the video connectors and order the right extended cables for each monitor. I will tell you this right now. The included 3ft or 6ft length monitor cords are worthless in setting up 6+ monitor system.

Figure out what monitors you are going to use, then look for cables on meritline. Depending on how you set them up (either in a row or use a fancy multi-monitor support stand), you'd need atleast 10-15ft cables on the furthest monitors. HDMI cables are usually the cheapest, but just remember, you are mixing dvi, hdmi, display port and vga. Its going to get messy.

MaxPC did an eyefinity 6 build last year that showcases the custom stands better, but they are fairly expensive at around $400-500, but they will save your desktop space and provide you with more information at a glance without turning your head and loose precious time. That's the name of the game you are trying to play.

Personally, I would do one of two things: Sell this dell and recoupe money for a new PC build/give to a family member or harvest the dell for parts and upgrade the case, motherboard, powersupply and video cards. But that's just me.

In any way you put it, you have some work cut out for you and its going to cost you some moola.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:32 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
you can also look into usb adapters, they will allow up to 6 more monitors to be added to a system, prices start around 15.00 each, and multiple outlets go for up to 3 or 4 hundred (matrox). http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380047%201685342877&name=Video%20Adapter&cm_sp=tvtunersubcatstore-_-flashstorefront-_-videoadapter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:04 am 

There are ATI graphics cards by one of the vendors ( I dont remember which one) That has 6 mini-displayport ports on the back of the card and comes with all the adapters you could need. So you could easily hook up 6 monitors to the 1 card.

The problem I see with this solution is that it will be a double slot card, so you may or may not have the physical room to install it. and, as previously mentioned. the tiny PSU will probably not be able to power the card.

I suggest returning the computer if you can, Get a mid tower sized computer or something that can handle one of these gpu's physically and with enough power to run it as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:32 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

^its the eyefinity 6 5870 2gb, its shown in the MaxPC eyefintiy 6 link I posted above. They are also pretty pricey and power hogs, thus not a viable solution for his current dell computer. It's also too long and will generate too much heat that it would probably crash his desktop.

Oh yeah, forgot about usb monitors. They should work fairly ok for static images/info, but they have high input lag and refresh rates are poor.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:27 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
you also have two of the same question posted. you should delete the second one, since no one has posted in it yet.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:06 am 

Thank You Guys. Really appreciate all the responses.

It sure looks like a lot to think about besides mucho bucks & still pray that it will work.

Really sorry about that double post. Didn't mean to do that. Must have been half asleep. Going to delete it if possible.