Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What's the right cable For my GTX 570 and Monitor?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:19 pm 

Working on my first build. Have my video card - EVGA GTX 570 - and now I have a choice on cables to go to the Monitor. Or do I? On my card I have two Dual-Link DVI-I HDCP Capable Connectors, One HDMI 1.4a Connector and one DisplayPort1.1a connector? The monitor is HD 1080p 23". For watching home theater and television (not going to do that on this build most likely) I think I would want to use the HDMI. But for best gaming, Should I be using a DVI cable? Also, DVI versus DVI-D, Versus DVI-I? Please let me know your thoughts...
Thanks
Whistler

Post subject: Re: What's the right cable For my GTX 570 and Monitor?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:12 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

DVI-D is usually the same as DVI. I'd go with that. With HDCP enabled, you will be just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:54 pm 

Thanks noghiri_x I understand that's the simplest solution, but I have DVI-I which is both Digital and Analog combined rather than just digital data with the DVI-D. Also, DisplayPort is an open format that updates/outdates DVi-D and DVI-I if I am not mistaken. It is the reason I ask the question. Perhaps someone knows?
Thanks
Whistler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:57 pm 

One further issues surrounds DisplayPort. There is a 1.1, 1.1a, and 1.2 version of DisplayPort. My graphics card runs 1.1a data transfer standard. I would like to know if data transfer rates are better with one over the other (DVI-I versus DisplayPort 1.1a)?
Thanks
Whistler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:09 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

DVI-I will autosense. I just don't mess with the weird new standards.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:20 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Here's a handy-dandy comparison chart....

http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-feature ... interfaces

The correct decision is more based on your monitors capabilities than it is on the card or interface at this point. What brand and model is your display? Does it double as an audio source?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:12 pm 

Hi vig1lant3. The Monitor is one of three final pieces of my build - CPU, Mobo, and Monitor. I have all the other components at this point. The monitor previously mentioned is basically my minimum spec. Re-reading what I wrote I guess I implied I had it already - my bad. The ones on my shortlist are 5 to 2ms refresh rates, IPS (16.7M colors) and a minimum 23" full HD (1080p). They all have DVI (usually DVI-D), and a couple also have DisplayPort. Bottom line is that I am not tied to one yet. Since I have the choices on the GPU, I thought I'd better try and find out if there is a connector better suited to my uses. As to playing music, I have music files recorded digitally, and with many of the new Z68 Mobo's which are on my wishlist some have high end 7.1 audio built into the systems. I have not been filtering monitors as "with or without" speakers, but I'll probably not use them. My current system has some older Polk audio speakers that I use.

I'll take a look at the link. Let me know your thoughts.
Whistler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:24 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

If you are using other speakers, DVI-D is fine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:13 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Well, Display Port is the most versatile of the interfaces, but if you have no need to carry audio, or format multiple displays, then the other advantages would be largely lost on you.

The only real advantage to HDMI over DVI is the audio channel. DVI-I will carry both digital and analog signals, but would you ever need analog support?

I'd probably just go with the lowest price (but still well reviewed) cable and call it a day. It doesn't seem that the gear you have your eye on will require anything out of the ordinary.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:10 pm 

Thank you both for the advice. It is very good, as usual.

I've sat and thought on this for a couple of days before responding. I did some comparatives on Monitors through the NewEgg site to see the availability of the DisplayPort connectors on Monitors in my price range ($200-$300). In that price range it appears that only about 15 or 20 % of the monitors even have a DisplayPort integrated into them. There are a few choices out there and, from the feedback associated with the products, fairly good ones. For this build, I have focused on Flexibility and Reliability. Since I do not know what the future will hold as far as demands on my build (for now it's a gaming rig), I think I will go with the DisplayPort and get a monitor that has that connector. Longer run, while I don't necessarily need it now it will be there in the future should I need to use the capability.
Thanks again,
Whistler