Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help with SLI and 3rd Graphics Card
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:08 am 

I currently have two GTX 460's in SLI and I'm running two 24inch monitors with 1920x1080 resolution. I have an old 19 inch monitor with a lower resolution that I want to hookup to my computer but Nvidia SLI only allows for two monitors at a time, and I would have to disable SLI in order to get the three monitors working which I don't want to do.

I believe Nvidia surround allows for three monitors but that expands the display across all three, which isn't the problem I'm having.

My question is can I buy a 3rd graphics card with the sole purpose of using it just to run the third monitor, while keeping SLI enabled? Keep in my mind that I only have two PCI Express x1 slots available on my motherboard (Asus P7P55D-Pro)?

If it is possible would this card be a possible solution?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814139069

Post subject: Re: Help with SLI and 3rd Graphics Card
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:36 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Nope. When you enable SLI, it wants them all. There's no logical way for the driver set to say "SLI these two, but let this one run free on it's own". It's SLI or nothing.

I've ran two GTX260's for triple (quad, kind of) screens just fine for a while and never found a place I needed to enable SLI to pump frames up. If it's more than playable in "Mode A", then I don't need "mode B" to pump it up. It's just not visible. Moved to those 460's and it just opened up that gap a lot more. Now, one GTX570 runs 3 screens that an actual SLI'd 260 setup would dream of doing on their best day.

How do you want to use this 3rd monitor though? Do you want to use the 2 as main and the 3rd as an alternate that kinda does general stuff? I'm just picturing 3 spanning monitors, and then this 19" stands out as an alternate and just does "stuff" while you play with the main two. In either case, disable SLI and run 'em. With two cards not in SLI you can run 4 screens in the least.

The July issue of MPC has a pretty good article on multi-mon which I think you should read. If I can run 4 screens with dual 260's not in SLI, I'd like to know why 460's can't in the same set up. Had 'em, loved them, but got the same out of one card.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:36 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

ok say i have a center 24" monitor and 2X19" monitors in portrait mode..1 on each side of the 24 monitor...thats my plan anyway..currently i have the 24" and the 19"..was looking on getting a second 19" and do some surround gaming..ofc not 3D..just play games on 3 monitors.

my setup consists of 2Xgtx 460's SLI and 1 gts 240 for physics.

so what your saying is i cant play games across 3 monitors while my cards are SLI'd
this blows! :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:39 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I am running 2 gtx 580's and 3 27" monitors and am able to run all 3 with sli'd cards.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:05 am 

chef7734 wrote:
I am running 2 gtx 580's and 3 27" monitors and am able to run all 3 with sli'd cards.

Are you running Nvidia Surround? If not are you able to run a game on one, a video on another, and maybe a twitter stream on another for example, all while having SLI enabled?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:30 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

J3sUsD wrote:
chef7734 wrote:

Are you running Nvidia Surround? If not are you able to run a game on one, a video on another, and maybe a twitter stream on another for example, all while having SLI enabled?

I was replying to the person above me. But no if you are slied you have to run it in surround mode to use all 3 unless you are running 2 slied and one not.