Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How Do To Set SSD Sata Speed?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:35 am 

I recently built a new rig with a Asus Maximus IV Extreme, OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, and Western Digital Caviar Black. Both HD's are plugged into the first SATA 6/gbs ports. During the startup diagnostics it showed both drives, but the SSD was shown running at 3 g/bs and the WD Black was running at 6 gb/s. For some reason this harddrive info is no longer displayed on bootup. So, anyone familar with these components, can you tell me how to can check to make sure that the SSD is in fact set to the appropriate speed? I heard benchmarking the drive is bad, so I just need a way to see what the motherboard has the SSD set to, I'm not worried about how great it is performing in bench tests. Also, for some reason the Windows sees the SSD as Drive 1 and the WD as Drive 0. When I saw this initialy during the Windows install I switched the cables around and it saw things the other way (SSD 0, WD 1). However, now that Windows 7 has installed the Disk Management tool shows the SSD as 1 again and the WD as 0. How can I adjust these settings? Finally, before reading that bench tests are bad for SSD's I did run one for about 30 seconds. Have I already compromised the drive by doing this?

Post subject: Re: How Do To Set SSD Sata Speed?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:37 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Did the manufacture of the drive say it is bad to benchmark its ssd or did some bozzo in a forum say so? Link us to the site that said it was bad, I am interested because this is the first time I heard that claim. Maximum PC runs tests all the time on new ssds and none have blown up yet or they would have said so.

Are you sure you have the ssd plugged into the port to run hard drives and not in a port to run cd-roms. Some motherboards are setup that way, check the motherboard manual to see which ports run at 6 gigs.

Is your drive rated to run at 6 gigs, or just 3 gigs?

As for drive 0 verses drive 1, I don't know of any way to fix that other than starting from scratch.

Nasty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:51 am 

Nastyman wrote:
Did the manufacture of the drive say it is bad to benchmark its ssd or did some bozzo in a forum say so?

I originally sought to test the speed myself since I couldn't find anywhere where this info was displayed. I glanced over a few random posts from different forums that came up on a google search. Several times I saw people saying not to run benchmarks on a SSD because it diminishes the drive. I'll try to post specific links later.

Quote:
Are you sure you have the ssd plugged into the port to run hard drives and not in a port to run cd-roms. Some motherboards are setup that way, check the motherboard manual to see which ports run at 6 gigs.

I'm pretty sure it is plugged in right. The manual shows a diagram of 4 main plugin points and recommends this configuration for 6gb/s devices [] [] [x] []. That's exactly where I have the two HD's plugged in, one on the top row and one on the bottom. I have the optical disc plugged in the 3 gb/s like this [x][][][]. Is that all you should have to do to set it right? Just plug it in the right port and it should set it to 6gb/s? No additional configuration required?

It might actually be set right. I just don't know how to check. Is there any easy way to see what the bios or computer is recognizing the drive speed as/

Quote:
As for drive 0 verses drive 1, I don't know of any way to fix that other than starting from scratch.

That would be fine to me I just would need to know how to determine which numbers will be assigned to the drives and configure them so they get the number you want?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:20 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Quote:
That would be fine to me I just would need to know how to determine which numbers will be assigned to the drives and configure them so they get the number you want?

Port 1 on the motherboard would be drive 0...port 2 would be drive 1 ectra. This is configured by windows when you first load the operating system. I don't think you can undo it unless you wipe the drive and reinstall windows. There may be a place in the registry to change it (shrug) don't know.

Win 7 runs "trim" in the background. This does all your housekeeping on the ssd to keep it factory fresh. Check their site from time to time for firmware updates for your drive and apply them. This will also keep the drive running tip top.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it is plugged in right.

You have to KNOW it is in the proper port. Just plug the drive in the proper port for 3 or 6 gig and no other action on your part is necessary.

A little blurb on your drive:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/review ... 0gb_review

Nasty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:58 pm 

Nastyman wrote:

Hmm, I think I just discovered the answer by reading this. I just assumed the drive was 6 gb/s but it looks like, according to that article, that the drive only supports 3 gb/s, which would explain why it registered with the motherboard as that. Well, thanks for your help I think I got the answer, I appreciate the feedback and the additional info on good drive maintenance. Take care.