Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: R6970 Lightning Crossfire looks great on DVI but not HDMI..
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:15 pm 

I have an Asus Maximus Exteme IV MB with 2 6970's in Crossfire. I have two monitors. One is an older SyncMaster 910MP with a standard VGA input and a newer SyncMaster P2770HD. I have an HDMI going from card 1 to the P2770HD and a DVI cable from card 1 with a VGA adapter going to the 910MP.

The problem is that my picture on the 910MP (older) monitor is fantastic but the picture on the newer monitor is fuzzy and sort of looks over saturated by color. Text is not clear. Comparing the same video on each monitor shows blotching and uneven color tones while the older monitor is perfect.

The older monitor is at 1280 x 1024 32 bit 60Hz
The new monitor is on (under the HDTV settings) 1080p

There are "basic" settings for the new monitor, but the highest it goes is 1680 x 1050. The new monitor was running at 1980 x 1080 on my last system which featured a 5770 and ran off the DVI port and it too looked great.

Am I missing a setting for my monitor to run at 1980 x 1080? How do I add it in? Why isn't the "HDTV" 1080p looking great coming out of the 6970 Lightning?

I tried to use both DVI ports (on the same card) and only the primary monitor is recognized. What are the limitaions are requisites for connecting monitors to CrossFired cards? I guess one of these ports is a single link and the other is a dual link; I have no idea how to tell which one is which.

Also, using just the DVI on the P2770HD gives me an excellent picture, so it's not related to adjusting my monitor settings (at least I think not)

/sigh

System Specs:
Maximus Exteme IV
(2) MSI R6970 Lightning (CrossFire'd in lane 1 and 3; 8x8 native)
G.SKILL Ripjaws X + Turbulence II Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)
1000W CoolerMaster Gold Series
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB

Post subject: Re: R6970 Lightning Crossfire looks great on DVI but not HDM
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:42 pm 

I found a fix for the HDMI cable problem and it's the weirdest fix because I was just fiddling with my monitor and going into every single sub-menu and changing settings to see what effect they may have on my monitor.

On my Samsung HD monitor, I go into the "Source List" menu and I choose "Edit"

The naming convention on that menu is :

PC : ----
DVI : ----
AV : ----
Component : ----
HDMI : ----

These coincide with all the different inputs available on the Samsung P2770HD.

I went to the HDMI : ---- selection and I was given a whole array of other choices; Camcorder,TV, IPTV, HD DVD, Blu-Ray, DVI, DVI PC, PC and a few others.

I changed it to PC and Viola! Perfect picture!

Now, my input reads "HDMI PC"; where as before it read only "HDMI" with no dashes. You only see the dashes if you go into the "Edit" menu for the Source list.
Thanks for the very funky menu Samsung! Not to mention the manual for the monitor that says nothing about this!

I think what this does is tells the monitor to expect the standard RGB (0-255) colors from the PC.

Anyways, this worked for me. I hope this may be of some use to another person in the near future.