Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is this too hot for a GTX 570?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:05 pm 

I thought 87 degrees C was a little hot while playing Crysis 2 on extreme settings. I am going to order a second video card. Yes I will be running two in SLI--can't wait.

Post subject: Re: Is this too hot for a GTX 570?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:33 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

just be sure that your case has ample air flow..if you think that 1 570 gets hot..2 will definitely heat things up.

also make sure your power supply can handle SLI..especially the 570's.

i wouldnt go with anything under 750W from a reputable company.

i am personally going with an 850W and running 2X460's along with everything else i have in the case.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:27 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Thats def getting a bit warm for gaming. Like d says make sure you ahve some fresh air getting to it since two cards will only make the situation warmer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:31 pm 

WOW! Yeah that is a bit hot. My 6950 flashed to 6970 is overclocked to 880mhz with the ram overclocked to 1400mhz, and I never made it to 80C after hours of playing and of my games full screen at 1920x1080 with 2 monitors off the same card. I only have the fan running at 60%, but now with summer, I'll probably set the profile to crank it upto 75% just to make sure. When I first got the card I kept it cranked too 100%, but that got annoying listening to my pc about to take flight.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:36 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Yes, in deed that is getting rather toasty. And I thought my HD4870's 50 degrees was over doing it. Look into your airflow, as mentioned above. Also, what I just did, was replace the thermal grease on the card's heatsink assembly, and it made a world of a difference (dropped my idle temps by about 8 degrees). As I found, the thermal paste had dried up from being on the shelf so long (the card was probably on the shelf or in the back for well over a year now and with room temp changes and humidity levels changing throughout that year, it probably caused the thermal paste to dry up on my card).

Anyway, just be careful you don't damage the card remvoing the heatsink. At least on ATI video cards with moderate coolers, it isn't all that hard, and only takes 5 minutes of your time and some good thermal paste. If that doesn't help, look into better air flow in the case, or maybe a different GPU cooler, if your setup allows such a thing (they can get rather bulky and heavy).

Are your CPU temps also high? This would be a tell tale sign it's not just a GPU problem ,but more likely an case airflow problem.

And as for the PSU, I don't think this would affect the temps as much as performace or crashing. If crashing isn't a problem, then the PSU is probably fine... generally a video card corruption generally will occur more from heat before it becomes a PSU problem, because if it was an issue of lack of power, the PC would reboot or crash during game playing. I do agree that less than about 600 watt for an SLI/CROSSFIRE setup (even if using a reputable power supply) is generally asking for trouble, unless your using moderately low-end cards that don't use as much power. but even then so, more power is generally better to a point in terms of multi-GPU configs. The fact that his card can run at 99% and supposedly doesn't power off or reset the system makes me think that the PSU is not an issue in the case, unless your PSU sits right next to your GPU or somehow blows hot air onto your video card. It could technically increase case temps, but I don't think it would be enough heat to see what he's seeing as far as GPU core temps, unless there was little or no airflow in the case. Even a case with an intake fan and exhaust fan should move a good portion of the heat out of the case ,providing that you're using large enough fans (80mm or larger).

A slightly cheaper alternative might be to get a slot cooling fan and put it near the video card. This helped me some, but again, it comes with a cost of generally creating more noise. So you have to weigh that one out too... a new coole ror more fans. In many caess, a better cooler with better air flow is better in the long run (for your hardware and your sanity---unless you're immune to fan noise).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:47 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

also keep in mind (as you probably know) the Crysis series games are hard to GPUs, and they make them really work hard (more than other games, like Portal 2, which are more of a lighter game and don't use as much processing power to play, so to speak).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:18 am 

87C is fine.
Most gaming cards are built to run at around 90C for any given gaming session. Most people are uncomfortable with it, as am I, but it's just a fact that it's not uncommon to see these big boys run at 80C+