Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Nvidia's Claim.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:29 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Nvidia claims to have the worlds fastest GPU, hardcore PC enthusiast know that this is not true and that the AMD Radeon HD 6990 is in fact the worlds fastest card. I was having a tough time with this, so I went to dig arround on Nvidia's website and I found something here that struck me as odd. Nvidia claims that you can select a game from the drop down list and see the performance If you select Crysis and Crysis 2 you will find that the numbers match exactly, I though this was a mistake considering the two are way different from a system requirements stand point. After contacting Nvidia by email I found out that this was no mistake...

Whats the point ? Honestly I don't think they do their benchmarks, I think they assimilate them, or just enter values that seem believable, either way, I am not convinced and I think companies should not be able to make claims if the can't back them up I know that if I, as owner of Liley Design (web services and pc repair), told someone something baseless and out right false, I would get sued or worse... What makes Nvidia any different than me, beside the endless piles of money ?

-Cody

P.S. They also "Benchmarked" some pretty weak games, Civ 5 and WOW ?? WTF DUDE !!

Post subject: Re: Nvidia's Claim.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:10 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

Civ 5 is actually pretty demanding, though benchmarks results are basically meaningless because they are just scattered willy-nilly, with low-end cards just stomping high-end dual-GPU cards and other stupid stuff. From what I've seen , the 6990 is very slightly faster. Both companies, however, will always claim their to-end products are the fastest-ever, its how a hotly-contested market works. Hell, I've seen an AMD graph on an ad showing the Phenom II X4 965 beating an i7-930 in video encoding benchmarks. Yeah right.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:05 pm 

codyandbecca wrote:
Ati claims to have the worlds fastest GPU, hardcore PC enthusiast know that this is not true and that the Nvidia gtx 590 is in fact the worlds fastest card. I was having a tough time with this, so I went to dig arround on Ati website and I found something that struck me as odd. Ati claims that you can select a game from the drop down list and see the performance If you select Crysis and Crysis 2 you will find that the numbers match exactly, I though this was a mistake considering the two are way different from a system requirements stand point. After contacting ATi by email I found out that this was no mistake...

Whats the point ? Honestly I don't think they do their benchmarks, I think they assimilate them, or just enter values that seem believable, either way, I am not convinced and I think companies should not be able to make claims if the can't back them up I know that if I, as owner of Liley Design (web services and pc repair), told someone something baseless and out right false, I would get sued or worse... What makes Ati any different than me, beside the endless piles of money ?

-Cody

P.S. They also "Benchmarked" some pretty weak games, Civ 5 and WOW ?? WTF DUDE !!

I agree 100% ..............

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:01 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

backspace wrote:
codyandbecca wrote:
Ati claims to have the worlds fastest GPU, hardcore PC enthusiast know that this is not true and that the Nvidia gtx 590 is in fact the worlds fastest card. I was having a tough time with this, so I went to dig arround on Ati website and I found something that struck me as odd. Ati claims that you can select a game from the drop down list and see the performance If you select Crysis and Crysis 2 you will find that the numbers match exactly, I though this was a mistake considering the two are way different from a system requirements stand point. After contacting ATi by email I found out that this was no mistake...

Whats the point ? Honestly I don't think they do their benchmarks, I think they assimilate them, or just enter values that seem believable, either way, I am not convinced and I think companies should not be able to make claims if the can't back them up I know that if I, as owner of Liley Design (web services and pc repair), told someone something baseless and out right false, I would get sued or worse... What makes Ati any different than me, beside the endless piles of money ?

-Cody

I agree 100% ..............

lol @ ^ 4008

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:49 am 

Well, Nvidia claims to have the fastest GPU on the world and they're basically correct, because the 6990 is just 2 6970 GPU's working on Crossfire, I think the fairest comparision would be against the GTX 590.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:48 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Pato Lucas wrote:
Well, Nvidia claims to have the fastest GPU on the world and they're basically correct, because the 6990 is just 2 6970 GPU's working on Crossfire, I think the fairest comparision would be against the GTX 590.

regardless of the amount of GPUs slapped on the board its still the fastest card that requires one slot, period.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:16 pm 

Well you maybe right,but i would still buy a nvidia based card before a ati one.To me ati reminds me of the K-mart of video cards.For some reason they just dont have the solid reputation that nvidia has.Most like;y do to there subpar driver support.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:52 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

backspace wrote:
Well you maybe right,but i would still buy a nvidia based card before a ati one.To me ati reminds me of the K-mart of video cards.For some reason they just dont have the solid reputation that nvidia has.Most like;y do to there subpar driver support.

lol. I hope you realized that nVidia released drivers that would let cards cook themselves and die.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:22 pm 

Either NVIDIA or ATi could claim the world's fastest single slot solution at this point, because whose card is faster depends on the game and setting tested.

Over at NVNEWS I posted links to around 20 games where the the 590 wins at 25X16 or 57X10, many from the Hardware Heaven, XBitlabs, Toms Hardware, and AnanTech reviews.

OTOH, I could do the same for the ATi 6990 if I were so inclined.

To me, the decision between these two cards boils down to OCability and 500MB extra VRAM on the side of the 6990, and feature set and superior accoustics on the side of NVIDIA.

Both use a lot of power and generate a of heat.