Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HD4870 vs. lower end 5670 -- suggestions
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:10 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I'm looking to get a different "budget" video card. I know that the 4800-series ATI cards are 2-3 years old, but I did manage to find a 4870 for $60 (new). It's only a 512MB GDDR5 card, but it would probably still meet my needs as I only play games occassionally on my PC (most other games I play are played on my PS3).

Anyway, I also found an HD5670 card (for about $90, which would give me DX11 support).

What are people's opinions of getting a 4800 series card that doesn't support DX11 versus a lower-end card that does? I'm on a budget here a little, and don't really want to spend much more than $100 for the card (not including tax).

Suggestions or ideas?

Post subject: Re: HD4870 vs. lower end 5670 -- suggestions
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:56 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

What's your monitor's resolution? What games do you want to be playing? What are the rest of the components in your system.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:13 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

monitor's resolution is (I think) 1600x900 max resolution (so I think it's only capable of 720p anyway). as for the rest of the components, I'm running the following:

Core 2 Quad Q9550
4 GB of DDR2
Gigabyte P43 motherboard
has (1) PCi-Express x16 v2.0 slot

I have only a 500 watt PSU right now (Antec) but will probably be upgrading at some point.
The system is fairly lightly loaded, with only 2 SATA hard drives and (1) SATA DVD burner. It's not overclocked at all, so no extra power usage there.
And I"m running a standard air-cooling setup so no extra power is being used for cooling purposes other than a bout (4) 120mm fans.

As for the games I (plan) to play, well I've been trying to finish GTA-4, Fallout, and a few others. I may get Portal 2 when it comes out, and may try Crysis 2.

With that known, what is the recommendation? I know the 4870 is the MINIMUM that I see for Crysis (according to what I've seen around the Internet).

The reason I won't go all out and get a $300 video card is not because I can't afford it, honestly, but more that I need to justify such a purchase to myself. I play games on occasion, and not on a daily basis like some. I may play for a few hours a week, or maybe an hour a day or so, so I'm not really a "true" gamer according to most standards, but would like to be able to pick up a game and not have to worry about the game not playing because my video card is not powerful enough.

At least the re-assuring aspect is that if (and when) I do rebuild, I can take the PCI-E video card with me to the new system (which I don't plan to rebuild for at least nother year yet).

(FYI: My system was originall built for engineering, programming, and video transcoding work --not video editing or games-- so that's why my rig is somewhat plain.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:14 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I guess I should correct something here...

I don't expect a $100 video card to be able to play games like Crysis 2 at high resolutions with high frame rates and all the eye candy enabled... that I know.

What I'm really after is a good card that cam play more modern games (maybe not the latest games, but games that are no more than 2 years old) at decent frame rates with a moderate level of graphics detail. I don't care about having the highest level of detail or 50+ frame rates in brand new games.

Basically in the end, I would like DX11 support, but if I can get a better performance-to-cost ratio with a 4000-series card with that being the primary pitfall, I guess it's not that bad anyway (plus how many games now take advantage of DX11 anyway)?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:16 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I would go with a Asus 5770 video card. They go for 139 bucks and it has a rebate that brings the price down to 119. You will get fair framerates plus DX11 for future games.

http://tinyurl.com/3qx6ulc

According to this, the 500 watt psu should run it:

http://tinyurl.com/2d7loo6

Nasty