Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Issue with my PS3 kicking my computer off the internet
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:45 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I've never heard of this happening to anyone but it's happening to me and hopefully someone can help. I already tried calling Linksys and their checklist did me no good.

I've got 2 desktops, two laptops, three video game consoles, and a vonage device accessing the internet, but not necessarily all at the same time.

I'm using a WRT54G version 6. My main computer (a desktop with vista ultimate 64 bit) is connected with an ethernet cable and so is the vonage. Everything else, all the consoles, the other desktop, and the laptops are all wireless.

For some reason, when my computer is on and i try to use my PS3 and access the internet for anything, downloading updates, even just signing onto the network, my computers internet get kicked off and reconnects. Upon reconnecting, the PS3 gets an error and signs out and cancels updating or whatever. If my PS3 is off, nothing conflicts with anything. If my computer is off, the PS3 connects just fine. It also doesn't seem to conflict with any other wireless devices, just my wired computer.

I've tried auto-obtaining IPs, I've tried setting up static IP from both my PS3 and wired desktop, but the two devices still conflict for some reason. My current settings for my computer are

IP address: 192.168.1.153
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway:192.168.1.1
Preferred DNS server: 207.69.188.186
Alt DNS server: 207.69.188.187

My PS3's settings are

IP address: 192.168.1.125
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway:192.168.1.1
Preferred DNS server: 207.69.188.186
Alt DNS server: 207.69.188.187

Besides these two devices, all other devices obtain IP addresses automatically right now. If I were to disable DHCP server in my routers config page I would not be able to set up my Vonage device to my knowledge and thus would have no house phone. If there is a way then I haven't heard of it.

Brainstorm time! How do we fix this? Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:12 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

I don't know that you can. Several other people I know have this same issue with PS3's on the network. Rest assured, you are not an isolated incident.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:12 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

bigtoyota479 wrote:
I don't know that you can. Several other people I know have this same issue with PS3's on the network. Rest assured, you are not an isolated incident.

Really? Huh. Do you have any more details such as what they tend to have in common? Like are they all wirelessly hooked up with the PS3 and wired with their desktop like I am? Or do they have varied setups?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:16 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

PM Staypuff. He's a member here that has this issue. His are a combo of wired/wireless machines, and other people I know have a combo too.

Puffy has to reset his router, and everything works fine. It's like the PS3 locks it up or something. Totally weird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:20 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

I would also recommend googling " PS3 locks up router". I get a TON of hits for that with some good info, but it may be quicker if you read it yourself because you know what you've done/haven't done. I'll keep looking in the meantime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:24 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Thats for that info. Hopefully someone finds a solution soon. I wonder what Sony has to say about this issue? Also, I just updated the firmware of my router with third party stuff, DD-WRT but I have yet to see if that helps. Hopefully it will and I'll post results later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:25 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

AHA! Found a little gem that oyu may need to read. Apparently with your particular router, you need to enable DMZ for the PS3 ONLY! Read it here.

http://www.raphkoster.com/2006/12/13/more-ps3-stuff/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:33 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I'll look into that if it doesn't work with the new firmware but my PS3 doesn't crash the entire network, for me it just kicks my one desktop here off and leaves all my other devices and laptops and the other (wireless) desktop alone. My computer auto-reconnects and thus kicks the ps3 off without me having to touch or reset the router. Also, his router is a WRT54GS, mines just a G so I'm not sure if that makes his issue different as well. But it can't hurt to try anyway. Nice find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:37 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Well it looks like the 3rd party firmware update worked... I was able to connect, auto-obtain, and download updates without my desktop getting kicked off the internet. Lets just hope it stays that way... if not I'll be back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:22 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Awesome! DD-WRT cures so many issues with those routers. It's some good stuff, to be sure.

Post subject: Re: Issue with my PS3 kicking my computer off the internet
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:24 pm 

Hey dude.. I had the same problem.. and weird enough.. I went into my network settings and turned OFF the "Connect to Media Servers" function and it fixed all my problems. Try it and see what happens.. might work for you too. :lol: