Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Best, simplest, least resource hungry, proxy server ???
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:19 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hi guys,

I need a program to share a dial-up connection from one machine to a few other machines. I can't use the built-in windows "Internet Connection Sharing" so I need to go 3rd party.

I want something which doesn't need too much manual configuration on all of the client machines (I dont want to have to change the web browser settings, realplayer, download accelerating, aim, etc) settings. I'd like something small, that doesn't require a lot of system resources, and is easy to set up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:19 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Sharing dial up can be done, but why? Dial up is slow as is, and sharing it is going to make it even slower.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sha ... ingdup.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:53 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I am confused...

If you are wanting to share your internetwork via Dial up, that is not what a Proxy Server is for. A Proxy Server is a set of programs that mediate between a workstation user in a networked environment and the Internet beyond. They are associated with a "gateway," which separates the internal network from the outside; a "firewall," which screens all incoming traffic and protects the network from unwelcome intruders and a "caching" program, which looks locally for previously downloaded web pages. If the requested page is not found, the proxy server goes out to the Net and retrieves it, almost invisibly, for the user. This has nothing to do with sharing your internet through Dialup. For something like that your going to need to use ICS or Wingate.

If your wanting a Proxy for firewall purposes, your going to need to build a proxy server, and put either HTTP, or SOCKS 4/5 on it.

Or, you can do it all from your own computer using promixtrons free proxy program:

Just follow the below directions on the following site to get up and running:
http://www.stayinvisible.com/index.pl/privacy_with_java