Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: One computer suddenly can't access network.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:38 pm 

Strange. All 5 systems running XP were working solidly, then overnight one that was downloading couldn't access the network. I can't say I know a lot (or even a little) about networking, but to me, a MAC address of FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF seems a little strange.

It's hooked up to a Linksys BEFSR41 router, and the DHCP table shows the computer and its assigned IP address, with the aforementioned MAC address. So everything looks relatively normal - yet it can't access the network.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:44 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

What the network values it's being assigned by DHCP??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:13 pm 

If by network values you mean IP addresses... just the typical 192.168.1.xxx. All the other mac addresses look 'normal'.

Edit: Now the computer can be seen as part of the workgroup, but none of the other computers can access it. Also, it can't see anyone else in the workgroup.

Assighed by DHCP
IP Address: 192.168.1.xxx
Subnet Mas: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

If I hit repair, it can't renew the IP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:58 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

No...

..what I meant was...what the machine currently being assigned. In other words, look at a working machine and the not working machine via ipconfig and compare results.

I'd bet before you had some bunko void IP (169.x.x.x) being assigned to it before...and now, you're geting a valid IP (who knows why you weren't at this point), and need to allow that IP through some sort of firewall now (assuming everything is still on the same subnet).

Post subject: Re: One computer suddenly can't access network.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:59 pm 

Invincible wrote:
It's hooked up to a Linksys BEFSR41 router .

Thats a nice router if you still got the software that came with it. Takes all the guesswork out of configuring a wireless network. Just got done with a nightmare myself. Similar problem...less PC's I was all over the place trying to guess what the problem was and probably made matters worse at some point. But it all worked out in the end. Good Luck.

Edit I've finnaly done it!
Here's a link to My Epic Struggle
Surely. Thanks for the tip Blondie

Last edited by dutch pirate on Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:58 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:08 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF is definitely a bad MAC address. Have you tried powering the router off and back on?

Post subject: Re: One computer suddenly can't access network.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:46 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

dutch pirate wrote:
Thats a nice router if you still got the software that came with it. Takes all the guesswork out of configuring a wireless network. Just got done with a nightmare myself. Similar problem...less PC's Here's a link to my epic struggle I was all over the place trying to guess what the problem was and probably made matters worse at some point. But it all worked out in the end. Good Luck.

Dutch, can you please edit your link? Here's instructions and why?
Rule No. 10 says, "don't break the tables."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:27 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Frank4d wrote:
FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF is definitely a bad MAC address. Have you tried powering the router off and back on?

FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF is simply a broadcast mac address. Packets with this mac header are to be received by all PC's in that broadcast domain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:47 pm 

Thanks for all the input guys. So HoOdY... I'm barking up the wrong tree thinking something's up with the MAC address? I have tried powering everything down, and turning everything back on, to little avail.

I do have the software that came with the router. Unfortunately, when I tried to run it on that system, it said trying to communicate with the router timed out.

I wish this were a simple case of a cable coming unplugged lol. No such luck there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:00 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

o.k...a little more background...

you have a wireless router with 5 machines connected via wireless? and all can't access the Internet? some can't? They can't access each other?

Are you using WinXP with SP2?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:59 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Invincible wrote:
Thanks for all the input guys. So HoOdY... I'm barking up the wrong tree thinking something's up with the MAC address? I have tried powering everything down, and turning everything back on, to little avail.

I do have the software that came with the router. Unfortunately, when I tried to run it on that system, it said trying to communicate with the router timed out.

I wish this were a simple case of a cable coming unplugged lol. No such luck there.

Can you access the router configuration page through your web browser? You should just have to type in 192.168.1.1 to view and modify configuration with your router. It shoulds like DHCP does not have enough IP addresses for all the computer connecting to it.