Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: AOL kicks ur losers asses!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:51 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Location: Kicking the crap out of the people who lied to me about using Folding@Home and those who declined!!

now that i got ur attention:

ok im just wondering this. my sister has a dell 5150 with some wireless capabilities. she cant get it to go online. she connects it to a phone jack and it doesnt work. btw, the wireless feature only works at her college, where she is currently not...so, how can she get online? were gonna have to install AOL if u guys dont answer soon!

so, for some reason she cant get online even when we plug it in a phone jack, which i thought we had to do. can i get on if i disconnect the wireless somehow? if so how? thanks in advance...ill thank u again for an answer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:14 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I don't think getting AOL would fix your problem.

Post subject: Re: AOL kicks ur losers asses!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:48 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

DrSatan wrote:
my sister has a dell 5150 with some wireless capabilities. she cant get it to go online. she connects it to a phone jack and it doesnt work.

What exactly does that mean?

no dial tone when she dials her ISPs number?...if so, maybe the modem isn't installed correctly/dirver issues

or does she plug it into the phone line and star at it thinking it will magicall work like broadband?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:57 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Location: Kicking the crap out of the people who lied to me about using Folding@Home and those who declined!!
i have never worked with the internet really, so i have no clue what im talking about. i have to plug into a phone line and it works. just tell me how, you, get online through a laptop its not wireless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:00 am 
Team Member
Team Member

In order to get on the Intarweb, you'll need to have an ISP (unless you're paying for your own direct connection but I doubt that, considering it's dialup). That means, as far as I know, paying for the ISP, and setting up a dialup connection on the laptop to use the modem to dial your ISP's phone number.

AOL is a (bad) example of an ISP. It isn't worth the time if that's the only ISP you're considering. Who else has an Internet connection where she's trying to use the dialup? She can probably use yours if she's at your house--just call your ISP and ask them to walk you through the set up and all the different settings on your sister's computer.

Then again, if you're not on broadband, you might as well hire small Ethiopians to carry network packets back and forth from the Internet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:27 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Ok, wait a second dr. satan. Are you saying you have a wireless network at your home? If so, there's no need to plug it into a phone jack, thats for Dial-up service across pots, not wireless connectivity.

First you should ensure your router is up and running, and that it has an ip address assigned from your isp. Then you should make sure her laptop is receiving a signal and an ip address from the router (start, control panel, network connections, right click network and choose properties...)

If not, move her laptop to a place so she can get better signal.

Otherwise if you don't have a wireless network or broadband, then you will need to get some kind of isp to connect to the net. I would go broadband if you can afford it and avoid AOL like the plague.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:30 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

no its wireless only at college...ok i gotch ya with the ISP thing. itll be fixed. this thread is closed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:17 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

just put of curiousity, what ISP's do u guys use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:40 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

DrSatan wrote:
just put of curiousity, what ISP's do u guys use?

I use Charter and get it for free because I work there too. Also free digital cable and 50 cents for any pay per view movie :P