Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Netgear WGR614- IP addy conflict
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:55 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Netgear WGR614- Not really sure how long this has been happening, but it happened again yesterday. 2 Compaq laptops, one is a 906US, the other is a 2105US, One is named 906US (Laptop), the other is Matty's Laptop (2105us), the 906 is ours, the 2105 is my dad's. Trying to connect to the wireless with both laptops on at the same time gives an IP address conflict error- saying 2 computers on the network share the same IP. I find this hard to believe since both have different Mac addys. Yeah, they are both Compaq's but, both are named different. I also seemed to lose the wireless on our new 64 machine too at that point. I had company yesterday, it was really hectic here, so I wasn't able to document anything.

Has anyone seen this & what can I do to ensure 2 or (3 even) wireless connections can be made at once? I don't recall if this happened when my sister connected with her non-Compaq laptop, so I'm not sure if it is limited to a certain brand.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:21 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Is your router set up as a DHCP server to assign the IP addresses? And both PCs set to obtain an IP address automatically?

On each PC you can use ipconfig /all to see the IP addresses. If they are different and you're still getting an IP conflict error then it would be my guess that a neighbor's PC with a duplicate IP address is connecting to your network (which should not happen if you have WEP or other encryption enabled).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:28 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

It sounds like one of the laptops is trying to grab and IP already assigned to another device...or is statically configured as such.

check your ips using the cmd Frank mentioned...also, using the laptop that DOES connect to the wireless network type the following command into a command prompt

arp -a

This will give you all the devices currently on the network (IP and MAC). The result should be something like this:

Code:
Interface: 192.168.0.154 --- 0x3
  Internet Address      Physical Address      Type
  192.168.0.8           00-10-4b-21-4a-0e     dynamic
  192.168.0.254         00-c0-49-aa-6a-0f     dynamic

See if any of the IPs in the arp cache are the same as the laptop that can't connect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:49 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Thanks guys. I'm going to need some time to check into this. Both laptops are gone, my dad has mine, while I dropped his off for repair yesterday. I will check the router settings.

I tried to add WEP at one time but was not successful. I lost connection on all of the wired computers. Since I don't really have anything worth anything on them, nor was I worried about someone stealing my connection, I decided not to worry about it, but think I may have to enable it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:44 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Of course this didn't happen today, but when I went into the router config I did turn of the residental gateway, which may have started this mess. We'll see when dad's laptop comes back.

I have noticed that the IP's have been roaming, when they used to be fixed. My computer likes being .0.2 and not .0.10 :D