Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:59 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I have the Dlink DI-624 connected to another router (USR5000)... I also wanted a simple WAP and did not want to have two routers.. but the Dlink router can be turned into a WAP by simply connecting it to your other router via one of the LAN ports (NOT THE WAN) with a roll cable..then just go in and turn off all the router-ish features (including DHCP).

not that I have tested this..but it should be a faster colution in the end as well...connecting the routers back-to-back from the WAN port causes the wireless router to inspect all the packets at Layer3 as opposed to the switched option (from the LAN port) at Layer2.

just my .02

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:34 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

DaBrain wrote:
I got a wireless router simply because they were cheaper than a WAP and my aging 1 port linksys needed replacing. I now have a Wireless router (DI-524) and a WAP(DWL-G700AP). The WAP will have a 4 port switch hanging off it to plug in my Xbox and a few other devices. The only trouble I am having now is that I can't get the WAP into a client mode to connect to the wireless router so that the devices downstairs have a connection to the net. It seems that the firmware for the G700AP doesn't have a mode tab to change it from AP mode to client mode.

Upgrade or downgrade firmware. Check with the manufacturer. The instructions should be in the user manual, though.

Have you considered giving it the same or an emulated SSID as the router, if possible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:55 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Wolfmann wrote:
DaBrain wrote:
I got a wireless router simply because they were cheaper than a WAP and my aging 1 port linksys needed replacing. I now have a Wireless router (DI-524) and a WAP(DWL-G700AP). The WAP will have a 4 port switch hanging off it to plug in my Xbox and a few other devices. The only trouble I am having now is that I can't get the WAP into a client mode to connect to the wireless router so that the devices downstairs have a connection to the net. It seems that the firmware for the G700AP doesn't have a mode tab to change it from AP mode to client mode.

Upgrade or downgrade firmware. Check with the manufacturer. The instructions should be in the user manual, though.

Have you considered giving it the same or an emulated SSID as the router, if possible?

Only 1 firmware revision out. A call to D-Link support resulted in them telling me that this WAP will not do a client mode even though the 802.11b version of the same device does. Now I get to return this, pay a restocking fee, and buy a WAP that is $35 more and has no MIR. In essence, I tried to get out for under $75 bucks and this device alone will set me back $120. D-Link is now officially on my shit list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:55 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Wolfmann wrote:

Both of them already had the same SSID in the setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:15 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Linksys products are just worth it for the antenna. I've never been overly impressed with DLINK's networking products, save their NIC's (which are Netgear's anyway...or they share).

Fullstop there...their corporate rackmount switches I like. But that's it.

You know I would've just put a 12v battery up to the thing and sent it back under RMA...save the restocking fee. ;-) Plus you take out a Demon-Link product anyway.

Where is your strategy going now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:05 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Wolfmann wrote:
Linksys products are just worth it for the antenna. I've never been overly impressed with DLINK's networking products, save their NIC's (which are Netgear's anyway...or they share).

Fullstop there...their corporate rackmount switches I like. But that's it.

You know I would've just put a 12v battery up to the thing and sent it back under RMA...save the restocking fee. ;-) Plus you take out a Demon-Link product anyway.

Where is your strategy going now?

I placed the order from 2 different places (amazon and newegg) so I can't scrap Dlink completely. My next move is to retunr the G700AP and buy one of the overpriced WAPs that do a client mode. All the while I will be very unhappy and this will be the last DLink product ever used by me. Before I do that though, I may complain to DLink and see where that gets me. Maybe they will replace it for free. Although I doubt it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:50 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I ended up shelling out $147 (way more than I wanted to spend) on a Linksys WET54GS5 5 port bridge and it is so fantastic. I got it connected to my DI-524 in about 10 minutes. Everything works flawless. Cisco's first wave of Linksys products were weak IMO, but the newer ones are my choice for any home networking in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:42 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

DaBrain wrote:
I ended up shelling out $147 (way more than I wanted to spend) on a Linksys WET54GS5 5 port bridge and it is so fantastic. I got it connected to my DI-524 in about 10 minutes. Everything works flawless. Cisco's first wave of Linksys products were weak IMO, but the newer ones are my choice for any home networking in the future.

Wolfmann's Project Management Rule #5:

Spending the money to do it right the first is always better than spending 3x more than you wanted playing catch up. ;-)

Usually coincidences with Murphy Rule #3:

If you think it'll cost that much, I'll make it cost 3x more.

Good job!