Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Network Printer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:41 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

I set up a wireless LAN in my house. How do I intergrate a USB printer into the network so all the computers can print from it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:51 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

either get a wireless print server that works with your wireless network, or plug it into a computer and share it on the network and then set it up on all your computers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:40 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

yes, provided that you're willing to keep the computer that the printer is plugged into, always on, you can do it that way: just right click on the printer and click on share.

Then on all the other computers, click on add printer, go to network printer, and browse for the printer. The setup is a bit more complicated if some computers are running Windows 95/98/ME and some 2000/XP, but in either scenario, it is definitely doable.

Your other option is to buy something which allows you to plug the printer directly into the router, in which case, no computer needs to be on, just the router. (but you need to buy an adapter). Before you do anything though, check to make sure that the printer doesn't already have an ethernet port on it. If it does, you only need to plug the printer into the router!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:06 am 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

Ok i am having some issues. I right clicked the printer and said share, and gave it a name. Once i got to the other pc, when it browsed for network printers, it couldent find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:33 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

happens a LOT. Play around a bit, come back a day later, that sort of thing.... You can also try unsharing/resharing. If the two operating systems you are using require different drivers (eg. the one sharing is running XP, but the one using it is running Win98) make sure that you install Windows 98 drivers on the XP machine. (under the "share printer" theres an option to add drivers for computers running different operating systems).

Or more likely, try this: Some printers require that drivers be installed (besides for the files that windows will copy over by itself). In this case, install the driver CD for the printer on the guest computers (as well as the one sharing the printer). When it asks you for the location, browse to find the network printer. If that doesn't work, don't cancel the install. Leave the drivers in, then go back to "add a printer", and browse by network and see if it comes up then.....

Hope one of those things helps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:02 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

Ok so here is teh deal. The host computer for the printer i want to share is regastering taht the printer is one the network. But the hostee's are not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:53 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

If you've tried everything I said, I'm out of options. Next I'd suggest you do either 1 of 2 things:

1) create a new thread (on this site) clearly labeling your problem
2) call up the printer company for tech support ?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:31 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

UTjunkie wrote:
1) create a new thread (on this site) clearly labeling your problem
2) call up the printer company for tech support ?????
3) Continue on with this thread.

Edited. 8) :P

It's best to continue on than to create a new thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:38 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

did you make sure windows is setup to allow file or print sharing? and that your firewall(s) is/are configured correctly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:34 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

yea, turn off ZoneAlarm of wahtever FW app you may be using on both PCs and try that...Also try slapping the IP addr into the FileMangler URL bar...I have found that MS 'browsing' sucks some serious ass!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:18 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

ahh, I think I've gotten to the bottom of it, only because I've had the same problem myself:

find out the computer name of the computer that is sharing the printer.
Windows 2000/XP: Right-click my computer > click properties > click "Computer Name" tab.

Under "full computer name:" It says your computer name.

Now go onto the guest computer (the one you want to be able to print from, but doesnt have the printer hooked up to it), open up internet explorer, and in the address bar and type in \\name

(where name is the name of the computer sharing the printer)

It MIGHT ask you for a username/password. Enter any username and password that is being used on the computer with the printer. Try "Administrator", with no password, that might work. If not, find out one of the usernames/passwords of that computer and enter it in here.

Now you will be connected and see everything that computer is sharing, including the printer.

Right-click on the printer, and click on "connect". It will install drivers for you and do everything that is necessary.

If you had to enter in a username and password, this is not such good news. I don't know how to avoid having to do this every time (though I will make a thread about that myself, be on the lookout for it). In the meantime, again, only if you had to enter in the username/password, every time you wish to print to that computer, you will need to initiate the connection. Do this by going to internet explorer, typing in \\name, entering in the username and password. You are now connected. YOU DON'T NEED TO RIGHT CLICK ON THE PRINTER AND CLICK CONNECT. THE PRINTER IS ALREADY INSTALLED. Once you have properly put in the username/password, just close the window, and print.

hope that helps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:32 am 
Celeron
Celeron

Make sure your wireless router doesn't have something like AP Isolation checked on. My linksys did.

Btw, I just set up my wireless network (with printer). Pretty easy using google...