Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: wanna give public access to my internet...but not my files!!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:05 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

well, I already sent an email to "The Doctor", but I'll post it here too in case anyone has their own suggestions:

Hi, I was wondering if you could possibly help me out with this:

I think it's really cool to share internet acces with (the world) but I don't want them getting into my shared folders. Is there any easy way to do this? I'm using Windows XP (doesn't have the shared folder password protection like Windows 98). Additionally, I'd like to set a maximum upload/download rate for all of the computers, say 30 Kb/sec so they don't tie up all my bandwidth, while (obviously) ememplifying my own computer from that maximum. Can this be done? I would consider any of the following to be good solutions: Telling me which routers could do it (if any), telling me how to do it with a multiple router set-up, etc.

Additionally I've heard that there are snooping programs which will download any information being sent through the wireless network: This means that if I enter my credit card information into say, Amazon.com, someone outside my house can pick it up. If at all possible, could I set up encryption for my access while leaving everyone else's access (neighbors tapping into my wireless network, which I want), unencrypted? Perhaps my best bet IS to use a multiple router arrangement. Well, what do you suggest?

thanks a lot guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:27 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Get a managed ethernet switch and set a bandwidth restriction on one of the ports, plug an AP into that port, don't set any WEP on the AP. Setup your wireless rotuer with WEP/WPA.

As for setting permissions on your shared folders, someone else here might have detailed step by step instructions for setting folder permissions in Win2k/XP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:12 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

If I set up WEP/WPA on the router, won't that lock the neighbors out from accessing the internet?

And what's a "managed ethernet switch"? Does it cost much more than your standard switch, because I'm not looking to invest much into this, I was sort of hoping to do it with existing hardware I already had.... (maybe a computer , running internet connection sharing, even!?)

I currently own two routers: a Netgear WGR614 v4 (54g), and a D-Link DI-525 (54g).....

Thanks.