Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How I resolved my problem.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:58 pm 

I thought I would post-back what I did to resolve my problem (I hope.).

I have a 400 mile drive ahead of me before I can test the solution, so I do not know whether it will work or not. I bought a 5-port Linksys SD205 10/100 switch to put upstairs. I figure that the DGS-2208 downstairs isn't exactly broken--although it will not auto-negotiate over that flaky wire--so I am not going to change it. The Linksys SD205 is supposed to have some repeater-like features in it, which should be helpful. The SD205 did not receive consistently high reviews, but I could not find any 10/100 switch which did.

Thank you all for the help! :-)

Post subject: Apology to Hitman and Explanation of Solution
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:59 am 

Hi,

This is an old thread, but I finally understand that Hitman was correct all along, and I understand exactly why. I am writing primarily as a public apology.

The electrician who wired the house--and who did not know what he was trying to do--tried to wire both telephone and Internet off the same Cat5e cable. (Maybe even Cat5.) Therefore, I did not have four pairs of wire, because two wires were taken out for the telephone.

As Hitman--and others--correctly stated, the two gigabit switches could never negotiate a connection speed, because they did not have four pairs of wires on which to negotiate. They only had two working pairs, so the *maximum* speed they could negotiate was 10/100.

At the time I was hightly emotionally involved, and I did not want to admit that I had been misled by both the electrician who wired the house *and* the electrical engineer (network "expert") I hired to try to "clean up the mess." The EE was not aware that I could *never* get gigabit speed; but *he* should have known better. 10/100 is the best I can ever hope for over that non-standard wiring.

Thank you for all the help, and I apologize if I wasted anybody's time.

Jim