Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Building the ulimate home network.....
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:02 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

If u had a two level house and 4 computers (2 downstairs and 2 upstairs) what equimnet would u use to ge the best connectivty, security, and speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:45 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

I have many computers both upstairs and downstairs in my two-story house.

Luckily, the company that built it wired it with CAT-5 already.

They wanted us to pay $200 for each port, but my dad told them to f*** off and did all the ends himself (they left the wiring intact, just didn't connect it to the sockets).

We have a cable modem, router, and hub downstairs in a closet, where all the LAN, Satellite, Cable, and Phone lines meet.

If you don't have a pre-existing setup like that, then go with wireless (with WEP).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:51 am 

i have 4 computers in a two story house. (2 desktops, 2 laptops) i have one pc plugged in by ethernet and the rest wireless. it is simple. get a linksys wrt54g router. within the past month i have seen a lot of deals on this router for about $50 at best buy, so keep your eyes open. if you can try to connect the 2 downstairs computers by ehternet. for the upstairs buy a wireless card (wireless card plug in by pci preferrebly) for security you can encrypt your wireless network or you can just use a MAC address filter.

here is the router that i have
http://www.linksys.com/products/product ... 5&prid=601

here is the wirless card that i have
http://www.linksys.com/products/product ... 6&prid=635

it works perfect and i can get good range

Post subject: Re: Building the ulimate home network.....
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:16 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

RickRock wrote:
If u had a two level house and 4 computers (2 downstairs and 2 upstairs) what equimnet would u use to ge the best connectivty, security, and speed.

Catagory 6 with Gigabit Equipment or maybe that new Catagory 7?

Have you seen the 12 pin connectors for Cat7? They look really cool, but they also look like a pain in the ass to install in a wall socket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:39 pm 
M-Powered
M-Powered

GBE (3Com 5 or 8-port 10/100/1000 switch) with a WatchGuard Firebox X5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:27 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

BigmanJayman wrote:
i have 4 computers in a two story house. (2 desktops, 2 laptops) i have one pc plugged in by ethernet and the rest wireless. it is simple. get a linksys wrt54g router. within the past month i have seen a lot of deals on this router for about $50 at best buy, so keep your eyes open. if you can try to connect the 2 downstairs computers by ehternet. for the upstairs buy a wireless card (wireless card plug in by pci preferrebly) for security you can encrypt your wireless network or you can just use a MAC address filter.

here is the router that i have
http://www.linksys.com/products/product ... 5&prid=601

here is the wirless card that i have
http://www.linksys.com/products/product ... 6&prid=635

it works perfect and i can get good range

do u not have a signal booster? Do u ever have problems with the computers upstairs dropping connections?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm 

RickRock wrote:
do u not have a signal booster? Do u ever have problems with the computers upstairs dropping connections?

I've got a Linksys 802.11a AP on the second floor at my place and I have no problems connecting from the first floor despite 802.11a's reduced range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 1:42 am 

myself, i'm networking my house wired. ive got a linksys router in my room and im right next to the stairs, so i pass the cable line out the bottom of the door, under the rug and through the crack to the closet under the stairs. this is how imna connect my mom's computer to the router.

this proves that if you're anal-retentive enough, you can hide a wired network.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:43 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

If you don't need max speed among the upstairs to downstairs computers, here's what I'd suggest:

Set up the router, say, downstairs and wire all the computers downstairs. Then buy a game adapter - such adapter, which basically picks up the signal and transmits it to the wired-network. Put one of them upstairs and wire all the upstairs computers to that.

With this arrangement, you have max speed going from upstairs-upstairs computers and from downstairs-downstairs computers. Sending a file from upstairs-downstairs though, will have to go wireless, which is slow. If you dont want to run a wire from upstairs to downstairs, this might be the best solution.

Post subject: Re: Building the ulimate home network.....
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:34 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

RickRock wrote:

Wired will give you the best of all three but is not always possible in a two story home (actually it is but might be extremely difficult). Before you buy any networking hardware at all, carefully study how the house is built and determine exactly how you would get CAT-5 from one floor to the other and from room to room. You may have to run 200 feet of cable to go 10 feet... which is ok since you're allowed 328 feet from each computer to the router. You might need a fish tape to run down walls (which usually have firebreaks inside). If you decide it isn't worth the cost or the hassle then all or partial wireless would be your best option.

I have a single story house with four wired PCs and getting all of the CAT-5 inside the walls was not easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:56 am 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

We own another house in phili. It is 4 stories and we connect with a wireless router. It is one of the more expenisive and powerfull linksys but it works like a charm.