Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: aol broadband and networking question
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:51 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

well ok,

im running aol broadband over cable and its getting networked to my computer and a wireless laptop \

i am using a linksys wireless G router that has 4 port wired connections too,

my computer is wired the laptop is wireless

my problem is when the laptop is even turned on, (not connected the aol) i get disconnected alot, plus extreme packet loss (50-75 precent) and even simutanously connected its a horror,

and i am also paying the 10 dolars a month to get multiple names on at once (kinda stupid too)

becides swiching companys, what can i do to get rid of the packet loss which is kinda weird,

btw aol broadband isnt my idea or i would have roadrunner premium running atm,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:30 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Is the Cable being provided by AOL?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:50 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

service yes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:59 pm 

Is the firmware in the router updated to the latest release?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:32 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Simpson5774 wrote:
service yes

I know this is a stupid problem, but I just have to ask. Also not that it is going to do any good talking to most Tech Support. Have you called AOL Tech Support about this problem? If so, what did they have you do or tell you?

Open a command prompt and type "tracert www.google.com", without quotes, and press enter. Please post this information to help with the troubleshooting process. You can place any web address in for the google.com one.

Which 802.11 protocol is your router and/or wireless nic using? What operating system is the PC and Laptop? Do you have the same signal lose when using the PC only with the connection? Who provided the cable being used on the PC?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:27 am 
Team Member
Team Member

baldeagle wrote:
Simpson5774 wrote:
service yes

I know this is a stupid problem, but I just have to ask. Also not that it is going to do any good talking to most Tech Support. Have you called AOL Tech Support about this problem? If so, what did they have you do or tell you?

Open a command prompt and type "tracert www.google.com", without quotes, and press enter. Please post this information to help with the troubleshooting process. You can place any web address in for the google.com one.

Which 802.11 protocol is your router and/or wireless nic using? What operating system is the PC and Laptop? Do you have the same signal lose when using the PC only with the connection? Who provided the cable being used on the PC?

yeah, aol text suport is junk they dont know what im talking about,
laptop is on 802.11G (i changed it go B didnd help)
my computer is wired using some realtek nic card
the pc (wired) = windows 2000 pro
the laptop (802.11G) = windows xp home sp2
nope im fine when its just the pc or just the laptop
i loose the connection if the laptop is even turned on not even connected to aol
i need to log onto aol for me to have connection with the internet so they provide connection (but that connection is previded by time warner) , so non dedicated and the IP changes every time i log on,
firmware on router is up to date
its a linksys which is one of only like 3 aol even says will work with there pos connection,

i hope thats enough for now, ill get you that tracert later when i get access to the laptop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:01 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Simpson5774 wrote:
baldeagle wrote:
Simpson5774 wrote:
service yes

yeah, aol text suport is junk they dont know what im talking about,
laptop is on 802.11G (i changed it go B didnd help)
my computer is wired using some realtek nic card
the pc (wired) = windows 2000 pro
the laptop (802.11G) = windows xp home sp2
nope im fine when its just the pc or just the laptop
i loose the connection if the laptop is even turned on not even connected to aol
i need to log onto aol for me to have connection with the internet so they provide connection (but that connection is previded by time warner) , so non dedicated and the IP changes every time i log on,
firmware on router is up to date
its a linksys which is one of only like 3 aol even says will work with there pos connection,

i hope thats enough for now, ill get you that tracert later when i get access to the laptop

My family just got DSL, which is a great surprise because we live ouit in the boonie and they told us it would not be in our area for another 8 years. Actually after getting all the equipment setup and online we had a similar problem because the router was configured to disconnect after 20 minutes.

In your browser's address bar type "192.168.1.1" without quotes, this will give you access to your router configuration. You will want to view the configuration for your existing connection in here and look for something called timeout and make sure it is disabled to set to 0 or 120. Some will not allow you to set it to zero, but the max tends to be 120 minutes, which is 2 hours. My router had a check box for disableing or enabling timeout.

The IP address actually being changed is the one assigned to your NICs. The router has it own IP address that is different from the one above and is protected. You might also want to check the DHCP configuration with your router. This is how you can connect multiple computers to the same router. This function of the router keeps a pool of IP address to assign to any computer that connect to it and it is assigned first come first serve.

Here are some websites that might help.
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1429&page=5
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/ipaddr.html#cmip