Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Two nics, two networks....help!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:54 am 

Man, I have a million questions today.

My boss wants me to set up his machine with another NIC, and allow it to connect on a totally separate network to another computer, the payroll computer in use in another office (in the same building).

I have no idea how to configure this -- two totally separate networks on two machines. Do I need another switch? How do I configure that second interface? Are there better options?

Hope someone can help with this, as I am clueless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:15 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

If you want the networks to be seperate, then yes you will need another switch....unless....the switch you have supports VLANs. In that case you can segment the ports into virtual LANs (or networks).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:20 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Exactly how are these two subnets connected? or are they? and exactly what is he trying to access??

Because two NICs isn't going to help matters any at a desktop...so this might be an answer better answered with some sort of domain privs or routing solution rather then what you're talking about

I'll give you a simple answer to this though...make sure you get whoever in payroll to sign off that this is alright to do :) At a minimum, it should raise some eyebrows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:20 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

This kind of depends. I assume he is running an NT based (2000/XP) operating system?

If network A and network B have different subnets (for example, net A is 192.168.0.xxx and net B is 192.168.1.xxx), two network cards should do the job just fine. (assuming both departments are cool with it)

If, however, they have the same subnet (ie, both networks are 192.168.0.xxx), then you'll have address conflicts if you try to use both networks on the same computer.

Also, to avoid routing issues, you'll want to make sure you do not assign a default gateway to the NIC connected to the second network. To do this, you must give it a static IP. (This ensures internet traffic won't get routed through it)

Post subject: Re: Two nics, two networks....help!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:40 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

shortbus wrote:
Man, I have a million questions today.

My boss wants me to set up his machine with another NIC, and allow it to connect on a totally separate network to another computer, the payroll computer in use in another office (in the same building).

I have no idea how to configure this -- two totally separate networks on two machines. Do I need another switch? How do I configure that second interface? Are there better options?

Hope someone can help with this, as I am clueless.

My workplace use to have two NICs in the computer labs. This was done to use one NIC for the college's T1 Internet backbone and the other was for our own local LAN separate from the main campus LAN. This sound similar to what you want done.

Would you please verify this to eliminate any misunderstanding from what I read in your post.