Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DSL networking questions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:57 am 

Hey all,

My dad wants up to set up a DSL network between a laptop and a desktop @ his office, but i have one question:

Would the connection be 24/7 like cable or would each computer have to dial up everytime they want to connect? Im not buying seperate IP's for the computers, so it would be NAT(I think).

Victor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:54 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

Depends if the connection uses PPPoE or not.

Here's a the network I have at home:

But as you can see, I have a cable modem which is truly always on. I honestly don't know enough about DSL to know if you need a special router for it to set up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:05 am 

DSL is an always-on connection. you would still need a router too use it on more then one comp at a time. no dial-in need hook the dsl modem into the router and then the computers into the switch that is built into the router and away you go.
P.S. it helps if everthing has power also :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:24 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

The Cap'n is correct. If it's run-of-the-mill DSL it is always on (just like cable). I have never actually used PPPOE but my understanding of how it works is:

You setup an 'Internet Connection' in Wondoze similar to a dial-up connection (username and password shtuff). Windoze will encapsulate PPP over the Ethernet connection to your provider. Now what I am not sure about is if the providers nowadays still time you out based on inactivity or timelimits. I would think if this is the case, you would need to 'click the icon' again to reconnect.

I didn't think too many DSL providers still used PPPOE, but I may be mistaken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:59 am 

Thanks!

So now all i basically have to do is buy a few CAT cables and a router, i was just confused about the dial-up thing.

Vic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:17 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

HK-47 wrote:
Depends if the connection uses PPPoE or not.

Here's a the network I have at home:

But as you can see, I have a cable modem which is truly always on. I honestly don't know enough about DSL to know if you need a special router for it to set up.

pretty heavy for a home network there. is that a scanner on your SEXCOPTER? can that be shared, or whenever someone needs to scan, they need to go to your station?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:41 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I have a similar topology with the two printers (color and laser) and scanner hooked up to one main machine and share them out. The optimal solution would be to actually get a small printer server and not have to rely on having that specific machine on when wanting to print.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:05 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

cigar3tte wrote:
pretty heavy for a home network there. is that a scanner on your SEXCOPTER? can that be shared, or whenever someone needs to scan, they need to go to your station?

I'm the only one who scans anything, and if my wife needs something scanned, she does it by handing it to me and says "Scan this"

;)

I've thought about a print server, but it's not a high priority for me right now....

Post subject: Re: DSL networking questions
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:16 pm 
The Logik! Bot
The Logik! Bot

victorl19 wrote:
Would the connection be 24/7 like cable or would each computer have to dial up everytime they want to connect?

DSL, with PPPoE is effectively a dial-once connection, after which it is always on. And it dials very quickly.

For all intents and purposes, it is an always on connection. Just about every router/firewall supports PPPoE.