Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help with Cisco router purchase
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:27 pm 

Ok this is what I currently have. I have two 8 port Gigabit swithes. 24 port Cat 6 patch panel and NetGear wireless router 10/100. I want to purchase a Cisco router with VPN mainly for practice and learning and want to incorportate into my home network, also it needs to have VPN so I can mess around with that also, I would also like some firewall security but is not a huge must have. Ive tried to do some internet research on the different routers but most I have been looking at have lots of extra crap that I don't want to pay extra for, for instance like dial up back up....and so on. What would be the perfect model for me??? Price range would be 300-1000 bucks but lower end would be better. Also anyone have a good website to purchase such a router. I don't mind getting rid of the wireless NetGear router and buying a cheap access point but I want to utillize the Gigabit switches, I have all Cat 6 ran in my house also. thanks for any input. I also will be taking some college Cisco courses in the future not sure if some internet deals are better than the student discount deals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:18 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Hmmm. in that price range you can look at the 17xx series.

Cisco 1700 series router

not sure what they cost new, but you can find them all day long on Ebay for around $400...If you really want to play, I would look to try and get 3 of them, that way you could play around with routing protocols. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:36 pm 

Do you know of any online vendors/websites that offer the best price?? I prefer not to use Ebay, Id rather use a website that offers new with full warranty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:48 pm 
M-Powered
M-Powered

Forget buying new, if you really want a decent setup for CCNA/CCNP labs, you want at least two (three if you can) 2501 routers (16MB flash/memory) and one 1924 switch... You could fit all that in a grand, but definitely not new. (both series have been replaced by newer models anyway)

You can also look for complete CCNP lab kits like this one: http://store.yahoo.net/chipsettech/kittk02005.html
And if you decide to buy only one device for now, at least make it one of those, not the 1700.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:10 pm 

Excellent thanks for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:38 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Hell I just figured he could get more of the 17xx's than any of the higher platforms...I think he would get more benefit in buying 3 within his budget...but he's right, the 25xx line is much better.

Side note: back in the late 90's when many ISPs were gobbling up this hardware with endless supplies of cash, some purchased near-lifetime warrantees. These warrantees are transferable and if you pick up a unit that is still under it, then you could utilize it to replace the entire unit or parts if anything were to go wrong. I had a friend who picked up an old Bay (Nortel) 350 switch that had 2 bad ports...he called Nortel and when they keyed in the serial number it was under warrantee and they replaced the entire unit...now, I'm not sure how you could verify this unless you could get the serial number and maybe call the vendor before you purchase the item...just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:37 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Or....you could buy a Virtual Router Simulation program such as Sybex CCNA virtual lab e-trainer and save thousands :twisted:

(Obviously this wouldn't be the best learning expirience, but it's still fun to play with)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:00 pm 
M-Powered
M-Powered

InstigatorX wrote:
Or....you could buy a Virtual Router Simulation program such as Sybex CCNA virtual lab e-trainer and save thousands :twisted:

The Sybex CCNA virtual lab is not good enough for CCNP.
The Sybex CCNP virtual lab is around 130$ To save thousands the real hardware kit would have to cost at least 2130$, which it doesn't, I got mine for little under 700$, for those without connections, it's still around a grand.

InstigatorX wrote:
Obviously this wouldn't be the best learning expirience.

Big understatement.