Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dual Nics - 1 IP
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:25 am 

I have a setup which has 2 onboard network cards(eth0,eth1), it is a webserver and its only on a 1.5 meg connection. I added another card and i cant figure out how to get the nics to work together to give me 3.0 meg. Does any one know how to do this?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:02 am 
Notched on both sides
Notched on both sides

Unless you are planning to actually add an additional 1.5MB connection to the box (so that you have two, seperate 1.5MB connections coming into the machine) doing any kind of bridging on the network cards (which probably already run at a minimum of 100MB each on the LAN), won't actually increase your speed from 1.5 to 3.0...

That being said - Hopefully Dalantech will see this post - he usually hangs out in Network Nook when he's around - as he'd be the best to give you your options - or you could go check out his website (VERY informatative) at www.dalantech.com :)

Cheers,
Tuathal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:30 pm 

i have bundled t1s so ya thats what i plan on doing :P

Post subject: Re: Dual Nics - 1 i.p
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:44 pm 
There is no cause for alarm... yet

GigabiteServers wrote:
I added another card and i cant figure out how to get the nics to work together to give me 3.0 meg.

You can bond the NICs, but it's not going to matter as both would be hitting the one modem.

Even with 2+ modems, the data can't be split over either connection/modem. You'd be looking at using BGP, which your ISP would have issues with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:22 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

He doesn't have a modem, since he is using T1's from an ISP he should have a decent router. With that said, this is a piece of cake! However, like mentioned you will need to run a routing protocol to accomplish this...ie BGP. Most ISPs support this... It is used in this situtation everyday for either redundancy, or in your case, increased bandwidth.

another option is if you are using Cisco on both ends (CPE and ISP) you could run Multilink PPP to bond them (again, the service provider needs to offer this as a product)...

another option is to send them through an inverse multiplexor. You can imux NxT1 (up to whatever is economically feasible for your area..the most I ever did was 4 before a DS3 became more cost effective) and feed the 3MBPS link back into your router via HSSI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:58 pm 

uh can you traslate your 1337 speak into
normal english?

i have a link sys router and its got 2 slots for fiber and thats all i know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:08 pm 

GigabiteServers wrote:
uh can you traslate your 1337 speak into normal english?

It's not going to happen with your current hardware.
You're going to have to learn a lot and see what your ISP will allow for it to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:13 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Canucklehead wrote:
GigabiteServers wrote:
uh can you traslate your 1337 speak into normal english?

It's not going to happen with your current hardware.
You're going to have to learn a lot and see what your ISP will allow for it to work.

:lol: sorry.

chucklehead's right :wink:

I would call your ISP first and find out what type of products they offer that meet your needs...if they give you a couple of choices report back and we can explain the benefits of each one so you can make an educated decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:49 pm 

i called them a few days ago and they said that they could bundle the t1s up to 75mbps. But bundleing them would cost another $10,000 per mile per line. and im 10 miles from were they have to run fiber. but the down side is that even tho they are bundled it still is 1.5 up and 1.5 back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:20 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Not to doubt you, but none of that makes sense to me. They will do NxT1 up to 50 T1's? Usually when you hit 4-7 it makes sense to go with a DS3..

...and the pricing...10k per mile? starting at 0 miles? again, weird. I haven't ordered a T1 in years, but the ILECs usually have zero mile T1 pricing which is everything under 25 miles (if I remember correctly).

I would guess a T1 for data for someone who is only 10 miles from the CO should cost roughly $600-900/month (if anyone has priced T1's lately please chime in).