Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

I'm buying a Phenom 790FX motherboard on my next upgrade but sticking with a highend X2 core until AMD fixes their bugs.
Poll ended at Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:37 am
Yes 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
No 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5
 Post subject: Load balancing a T1
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:37 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Location: Defragging brain. Sector 25642401. Percent complete: 01000000%. 64-bit me.
I'm attempting to find the correct set of commands / procedure to load balance two T1 lines on a single Cisco 2611 router. Here's the scenerio:

I have one connection using AT&T to network 5 locations (a T1 at each location) using the MPLS protocol. We want to add a second T1 line here at the main office to handle more intensive data communications. I want to take the IP protocol of Serial 0/1 and apply it to Serial 0/0. Here is is what I don't understand, when AT&T gives us the new IP address, do I take both interfaces and apply a multilink group ID to them? I read on the Internet that is what someone else is doing.

interface "A"
ppp multilink
ppp multilink group 1

interface "B"
ppp multilink
ppp multilink group 1

Doing that on each interface. Then jumping down a level (I assume -they only show the "show run" config file in their cheap how to) to an interface called Multilink1 and applying an IP address of the default WAN (I would assume) that was configured for traffic to fly to that one.

I want to combine S0/0 and S0/1 but use the current IP address of S0/1 to broadcast. Does AT&T need to do things on their end of the network to make sure the IP addresses on the interfaces they have work in tandem to do the same thing? We are awaiting word on what AT&T has to say on that subject as well as pricing for the new T1 but I wanted to know what any of the other Cisco guys could tell me. Appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:56 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hum, it seems the poll have nothing to do with the topic. :) I am not familiar with your topic, sorry... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:58 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I am relatively new to cisco(still working on my CCNP) but that looks like how I would guess it would be done. Just to clarify, the second T1 will also be into the MPLS cloud as well right?

Post subject: Re: Load balancing a T1
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:51 pm 

I believe that the max you can put on a 2611 is 4 data T1 interfaces (estimated), however the thing to note here is yes, it is possible to load balance 3 T1 interfaces with this router you are limited to between 15 and 20kpps so keep that in mind when you are checking your bandwidth calculations.