Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How to secure home network with Smart TV's
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:04 pm 

We have two smart TV's and two Smart DVD's in the house with two hard wired and two wireless. All connect to a Netgear N 900. My biggest worry is are these devices secure and are they a gateway into my home network by hackers. I have done a search but came up with useless info on what i'm asking here.

Post subject: Re: How to secure home network with Smart TV's
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:18 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The only way for someone to use an end device to infiltrate a network is if the device has a available network interface not connected to the network. For instance, if the device was connected via Wi-Fi, then the only way an attacker could get into it is by way of an ethernet port, Bluetooth, or some other network interface.

Now if you're worried about someone attacking the end device to exploit certain things, I find a way to make them physically meaningless or something. For example, I'm paranoid someone will access my TV's camera and turn it on. So I put a piece of tape over it and used a silver Sharpie to block it out.

However the best wireless network advice I can give you aside from the whole "secure your network" shpile: don't broadcast your SSID. That alone will pretty much deter everyone if they're doing anything drive-by. Unless it's from the internet. But really, if you don't want that device compromised, don't hook it up the any network.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:20 pm 

Maybe I'm to paranoid. I was worrying about someone hacking through the TV and into my home network. Not that I have anything to steal but vandals seem to be the rage today.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:38 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

A hacker can't get in unless it's from the internet or your TV is broadcasting some other wireless network (like Bluetooth).