Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ASUS PCE-AC68
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:05 am 

im wanting to buy a wireless pci-e card here ,,, do u know if this is the best its gonna get or has anyone heard of vendors coming out with new hardware soon so i might wait?

Post subject: Re: ASUS PCE-AC68
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:26 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

What's the maximum speed your wireless router can provide? You shouldn't buy anything faster than that unless you plan on upgrading the router too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:29 pm 

the apartment manager knows that info, i want to buy one so i wont have to upgrade in a couple years,,,

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:44 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

A couple of years is a long time. Technology improves.

If this is a shared wifi in an apartment then likely low bandwidth to begin with and you are sharing that bandwidth with everyone else online at the time.

Why spend money on what likely is a low speed connection when a cheap card will readily out surpass the capability of your connection?

Move? THEN buy a good setup for yourself when it makes sense.

Personally I'd buy a USB connected dongle with a extended antenna on a cable that can be adjusted to location. But a PCIe card like these should work.

Keep in mind besides shared band signal will be attenuated in distance between the two sources and all objects present in between.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:14 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

This is the best that's going to be available for the forseable future. It's also utter overkill for most home users.

However, having one, I can say it cuts through physical interference (plaster, stucco, brick, hard-wood walls) pretty easily on the 2.4GHz AC band. From aprox 38 feet away, through 3 hard-wood walls, (using the included triple antenna with 3ft cables) I'm averaging about 368Mbps with minimum signal strength of -78dbm.

It's even picking up my neighbor's WiFi from about 65 yards away - theirs is a newer home with concrete block outer walls & stucco walls inside the house, but it's not a strong enough signal to connect to from here & disappears from time to time.

Anything faster than this card's maximum 1.3Gbps (162.5MB/sec transfer rate) is going to require a good RAID array, or SSD's on your home/work server to utilize the extra speed.

I can easily see this being a 10-year card - as in not needing to upgrade beyond it for at least 10 years.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:57 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Aside from trying not to go over what you already have access to, there's the fact that you should still select the appropriate hardware for your application.

If all you're doing is using the internet and not doing much local network interaction, I don't see much point in exceeding say what 802.11n is capable of (900Mbps I think is cap). Until our negative innovating ISPs start delivering more than 100Mbps as the top package (which that speed is wishful thinking in and of itself), all the modern routers will easily exceed it. Though I guess if you're one of the lucky ones with Google Fiber, then that's a different story.

However, if you're doing a lot of local network interaction, like streaming HD videos across multiple devices, then high-bandwidth networks will be ideal here. But still, it also depends on their bandwidth requirements too. Blu-Ray quality is about 32Mbps, but a lot of rips can reduce it something lower without sacrificing quality too much.