Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Firewall Shootout
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:50 am 

Id like any opinion's on which firewalls are best and also best for the money. Ive heard more than a couple complaints about Norton 2005.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:57 am 
There is no cause for alarm... yet
There is no cause for alarm... yet

I've used ZoneAlarm free version myself for years, had a minor uninstall issue but otherwise quite happy. Kerio is another recommended firewall - I believe it's free. I have links for both in this thread if interested.

Otherwise my personal firewall experience is years old - I'd tried BlackICE Defender which was less a firewall more of an Intrusion Detection Service (IDS), though I hear it's changed. Norton and McAffee at the time didn't check outgoing traffic - ZoneAlarm was the first, and now it's a standard feature IIRC. So it comes to if you want to pay for a firewall, the interface, and configurability. Setting general rules is not security; BlackICE had to change engines every 6 months cuz people would figure out how it's checking things and cirvumvent it.

Love or hate, ZoneAlarm is the most popular 3rd party firewall and without any exploits in all the years I've used it - I have no reason to look elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:02 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Canucklehead wrote:
I've used ZoneAlarm free version myself for years, had a minor uninstall issue but otherwise quite happy. Kerio is another recommended firewall - I believe it's free.

My experience exactly. Recently, I switched to Kerio solely for the experience of trying out a new softy firewall. I have no real complaints of either one, and I'll end up sticking with ZoneAlarm out of habit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:51 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

ive had experience with the free version of zonealrarm and its a pretty good software firewall. i uninstalled it after a while. my linksys router has a built-in firewall so ill let that take care of my network traffic. my vote would go to either zonealarm and even kerio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:12 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I like zonealarm as well, although my one complaint is that you must constantly update it. Obviously this is for new security patches, but I would prefer less updates if possible...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:06 pm 

Just curious,

Anyone have good or bad things to say about either Agnitum Outpost or Sygate Personal Firewall Pro?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:12 pm 

Nothing bad about them, that i have seen. Although I have a firewall in my router as well and do not see much attacks on my PC but they are easy to operate and read decent things about them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:41 am 

*sigh* I tried ZoneAlarm as my first firewall, but I couldn't find a way for it to allow me to play StarCraft without totally disabling it, so I switched to Sygate. Now Sygate's been acting weird on me, too. Perhaps I'll go back to zonealarm and let it redeem itself.

BTW, I heard one version of Zone Alarm was buggy/crappy, which one is it so I can avoid getting that one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:35 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

JustHangin510 wrote:
Just curious,

Anyone have good or bad things to say about either Agnitum Outpost or Sygate Personal Firewall Pro?

Sygate is running very well here.

2+ years.

I'm happy with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:16 am 

SmoothWall 2.0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:20 pm 

hamsterjohn wrote:
BTW, I heard one version of Zone Alarm was buggy/crappy, which one is it so I can avoid getting that one?

Zone Alarm Version 5.1 created havoc with YENC encoded files when using newsgroups. The article would load but the attached file wouldn't decode. The current version of Zone Alarm has fixed that problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:04 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

I like the NVArmor that comes with the ASUS A8N board, its hardware and software so its not loading packets off on the CPU.

Post subject: Re: Firewall Shootout
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:45 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

bobson wrote:
Id like any opinion's on which firewalls are best and also best for the money. Ive heard more than a couple complaints about Norton 2005.

iptables - hands down. it can even bake a cake for you. not really but it can drop packets, forward packets, mangle them, even has the ability to perform bandwidth "shaping" (aka Quality of Service) where you can reserve bandwidth for specific apps,ports, or other purposes. Also a good tool if you want to spoof your outgoing packets.

http://www.netfilter.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:46 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

oops, i just realized something...you mention Norton 2005...

that implies Winblows. nvm.

Post subject: Re: Firewall Shootout
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:48 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

bobson wrote:

I like NIS 2004, used a trial of 2005 on my son's AMD 64 system, I found neither norton's are compatable with it. Download a trial version.

keymaker wrote:
i uninstalled it after a while. my linksys router has a built-in firewall so ill let that take care of my network traffic.

Please tell me you are not relying on your hardware firewall? Last night while looking for software, I ended up getting bombarded with p0rn pop ups, my router firewall didn't stop the trojans / viruses, my Norton firewall did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:48 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

keymaker wrote:
ive had experience with the free version of zonealrarm and its a pretty good software firewall. i uninstalled it after a while. my linksys router has a built-in firewall so ill let that take care of my network traffic. my vote would go to either zonealarm and even kerio.
the router will only protect you from incoming attacks, not if software gets on your pc, then it can still pone home. thats why the best combo is a hardware software bsed setup, with a router and still using zonealarm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:03 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

athlon11 wrote:
the router will only protect you from incoming attacks, not if software gets on your pc, then it can still pone home. thats why the best combo is a hardware software bsed setup, with a router and still using zonealarm.

Well if it's supposed to protect against incoming, why didn't my router stop the crap the other night? I have everything enabled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:37 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Blondie wrote:
athlon11 wrote:

Well if it's supposed to protect against incoming, why didn't my router stop the crap the other night? I have everything enabled.

Because you established the connection. And you established it on a known protocol (http). Downloading a file (even malware) isn't, by definition, an attack. Now port-scanning someone, or chucking malformed packets at them. THAT is an incoming attack.

This is the problem with hardware firewalls. Most consumer-grade hardware firewalls tend to be fairly dumb (though some of the ones doing Stateful Packet Inspection aren't too bad).

Usually I recommend going with a network firewall (hardware) and a host firewall (software). The hardware firewall provides a first line of defense. And the software firewall catches pretty much everything else.

Also, keeping the host scanned and clean of viruses and malware from the outset it important too.