Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Quad FastEthernet card, Sun box --> System MAC address
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:45 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Situation: I have a quad fe card on a Sun box and all four ports are connected to a switch (unmanagable) which is then connected to a single hme port on another Sun server. I found that all data was travelling over qfe0 to get to any of the other qfe ports. I then found out that all of the ports shared the same MAC address and I changed that with a;

eeprom "local-mac-address?=true"

and rebooted. The system came back up with 4 unique MAC addresses. So, then I thought my problems would be over after I turned off the switch for awhile to let the MAC address table disappear.

Switch reset after 5 minutes (give or take), but all data still flows over qfe0. If I disconnect the qfe0 connection and just leave on the qfe1-3 connections, it never comes back and I cannot access any of the remaining qfe ports from the Sun server. So, I'm figuring this isn't ARP related, although I screwed around with arp tables on both Sun boxes, to no avail, for a couple of hours. I even tried moving all the connections to new ports on the switch in case there was some default switch setting that was preventing me from transferring data directly from the Sun server to one of the other qfe ports.

The only reason I have the quad fe ports all connected to the same switch is for fail-over. Which means the configuration is currently not setup properly...

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get it so that I can configure these buggers so that if qfe0 goes down, the other ports will still be accessible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:04 pm 
V||V
V||V

*bump* anyone? i mean, it's skilless...

-R