Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Using a WRT54G as a Wireless Access Point?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:45 pm 

Hi. I have an extra wireless router, a Linksys WRT54G, and I was wondering if it is possible to use it as a wireless access point. I have a Wireless Netgear router hooked up to my modem, and I would like to have wireless internet in my bedroom, which is up one floor. As of right now, I am using my laptop for wireless, via Windows ICS, but I am going to be getting rid of it soon. The Linksys WRT54G has a Linux firmware on it, so there are a lot more settings that you can change than on the standard Linksys firmware. I was hoping not to have to buy a wireless network adapter, because I already have this router.
Thanks,
Dyer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:20 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

But of course. I have one sitting on this desk: all routing functions are off, it's now just a simple AP + 4 port switch.

Settings to change (obviously, do this while plugged into a LAN port on it):
Setup > basic setup > select 'auto config DHCP' in the connection type drop-down; enter a good (outside of your DHCP range) IP address (and, of course, match your current subnet); and click 'disable' on the DHCP server line.
Then (here's where it becomes an AP; but, the wording's a bit wierd):
Setup > advanced routing > select 'router' from the operating mode drop-down (in Linksys, Router = AP, Gateway = Router); 'both' on the dynamic routing line; and 'LAN & Wireless' on the interface entry.

Of course, remember to click the 'save changes' button before you go on to the next screen. Do, this, and your WRT54G is now a switch/WAP. And, for quite a bit less cash than a WAP54G goes for. 8)
Oh, and when you connect it to your network: use a LAN port. The WAN port won't work anymore.

Post subject: Accessing the WRT54G's settings
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:36 am 

Cup:

How does one access the settings menus of the router to change the device's configuration as you describe? Thanks.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:25 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

For linksys stuff it's generally http://192.168.1.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:56 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I've been thinking of doing something similar, but using 2 wireless routers to communicate with eachother over a very long distance (outdoors). Is this possible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:20 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Sure, with some high-gain antennas or microwave transmitter/receiver ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:30 am 

Thx, Kybo.

Just a basic point of clarification: It seems a lot of the instructions I'm finding online (ezlan.net/router_AP.html and dslreports.com/faq/11233) contemplate adding a wireless router to a wired network.

That's not what I'm trying to do.

I have two desktops upstairs connected wirelessly and a laptop downstairs connected wireless as well. The laptop gets dodgy reception given that it is out of the line of sight with the WRT54G upstairs. I also get poor cell phone reception downstairs.

Recently got a BlackBerry via T-Mobile, whose "HotSpot @Home" service offers free VOIP calls with a router they sell. Lo and behold, it's a T-Mobile-branded WRT54G. I want to configure this second router as an access point, put it downstairs and use it to not only better my laptop's Internet connection, but also for WiFi cell phone calling and to wire my HD DVD player to it for Web-enabled special features.

Does the configuration described above enable the second router to have no network cable running to it (except for whatever devices/clients I want to hard wire to it)? In other words, I don't want to run a 60-foot Cat5 cable from the WRT54G upstairs to the one downstairs. I want the downstairs router to 'wirelessly' "grab" the connectivity that the upstairs router produces and "amplify" it for devices downstairs. Can I do this, or must the two routers be physically connected?

Also, I have another cable jack near the second router's location. What if I just get a second cable modem from my cable company and connect the second WRT54G to it? Does that create any issues?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:31 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Some routers will allow you to use a WDS-esque WAP scheme. The T-mobile looks promising -- DD-WRT has some great firmware for that router. That really is a fantastic router -- fast, lots of memory. Put dd-wrt on this baby first.
http://dd-wrt.com

Don't worry about anything else -- this firmware will enable you to do what you want to do. And no, you couldn't just run another cable out :).

Post subject: Can't access web administration pages
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:18 am 

I followed these steps and got the WAP working. But I can no longer access the wrt54g's web configuration pages. I changed the wrt54g's IP address to 192.168.1.11. I get the page unavailable message from the browser. Do you have any suggestions?

cup wrote:
But of course. I have one sitting on this desk: all routing functions are off, it's now just a simple AP + 4 port switch.

Setup > basic setup > select 'auto config DHCP' in the connection type drop-down; enter a good (outside of your DHCP range) IP address (and, of course, match your current subnet); and click 'disable' on the DHCP server line.
Setup > advanced routing > select 'router' from the operating mode drop-down (in Linksys, Router = AP, Gateway = Router); 'both' on the dynamic routing line; and 'LAN & Wireless' on the interface entry.

Of course, remember to click the 'save changes' button before you go on to the next screen. Do, this, and your WRT54G is now a switch/WAP. And, for quite a bit less cash than a WAP54G goes for. 8)
Oh, and when you connect it to your network: use a LAN port. The WAN port won't work anymore.

Post subject: Re: Can't access web administration pages
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:00 am 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

Montana1 wrote:
I followed these steps and got the WAP working. But I can no longer access the wrt54g's web configuration pages. I changed the wrt54g's IP address to 192.168.1.11. I get the page unavailable message from the browser. Do you have any suggestions?

cup wrote:

Assuming that did follow the bolded part:
You probably assigned it an IP address that's already in use (resulting in an address conflict), and/or didn't turn off the DHCP server (resulting in general LAN mayhem, to to having two competing DHCP servers.)
To fix the latter: disconnect the WRT from your LAN, and plug a computer into one of the LAN ports (this computer will not be connected to your LAN at this point.) If it (the PC) gets an IP address, then there's your problem. Fix the config.
If it doesn't get an address, then manually set that PC's NIC to, say, 192.168.1.200, subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Try to connect to the router. If you do get in, change the router's LAN IP address to something more likely to be outside of your DHCP range. If your existing router is at 192.168.1.1, then use .254 for the WRT.

Post subject: WAP problem fixed
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:53 pm 

I didn't have two DHCP servers and I didn't give it an address that was already in use. I had the DHCP server set from .2 to .10 I checked those things. I reset the wrt to factory default and followed your steps again. It worked the second time. I'm not sure what happened the first time. Thanks for your help. That is a clever way to make a WAP out of WRT.

Post subject: Wrt54g as an Access Point
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:41 pm 

Cup your instructions on turning the WRT54G into a WAP were excellent. Every site touting the hack of the WRT54G with dd-wrt should also share your post. Your post saved me $40+ and only took minute to complete.

BTW, those site withe dd-wrt hack have all taken down the links. No doubt an issue with the FCC and the signal strength modd.

Post subject: http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59541&st
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:08 am 

Please add that with some routers the WRT54G you are converting must be assigned a specific ip address to avoid conflict with the host router. Some, if not most, routers assign specific ip addresses for AP. In my case I had to assign 192.168.1.247 to avoid knocking the host router of the wifi grid.