Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: routers that can turn off wireless feature??
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:41 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I was wondering if this is possible. If I can turn on/off wireless feature on a router on the fly. I would like to do this b/c I am considering getting a wireless router only b/c my gf wants to access the web on the laptop in our room (while I'm fragging on my pc :) ). but if she won't be using the laptop, I would like to turn wireless off. any input/suggestions? thanks.

Post subject: Re: routers that can turn off wireless feature??
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:51 pm 
Notched on both sides
Notched on both sides

ben10dough wrote:
I was wondering if this is possible. If I can turn on/off wireless feature on a router on the fly. I would like to do this b/c I am considering getting a wireless router only b/c my gf wants to access the web on the laptop in our room (while I'm fragging on my pc :) ). but if she won't be using the laptop, I would like to turn wireless off. any input/suggestions? thanks.

Heya Ben,

Thats a great question that "might" not have an easy answer.

A lot will depend on which router you run.. For example - I run a Linksys WRT54GS. Under the Wireless section, it has a drop down for which type of wireless network to run (G, B, or A) and it also has the option for Disable.

If I choose Disable and hit save settings - then Wireless is turned off. If I then choose G or B, etc - and hit Save Changes - poof - its turned back on.

Most routers will work the same way, however - many routers will lose information when you do that.

The information that is lost is the security information which makes your wireless connection more secure (Your WEP encryption to be specific).

If you aren't worried about turning on WEP since your GF won't be running her laptop on your router full time - then ya - get a wireless router, turn on and off wireless as needed, but know that while wireless is on - that you could have people doing everything from 'borrowing' your internet, to using it to attempt to hack your network.

My Linksys for example, loses the WEP settings everytime I disable/enable the wireless connection.

If you want to turn on WEP encryption (which requires a 64Bit or 128Bit key to be entered in order to access the network) then you'll have to re-set that every time...

Hope this info helps and isn't too confusing!

<verbose mode: OFF>

Cheers,
Tuathal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:52 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

thanks for the useful info. all of it makes sense (I have a general undestanding of wireless technology but not wireless router features). i think i will do that. i'm not looking for g capability. are there b routers that have the same disabling feature? is this usually listed along on the box/specs? i wouldn't have an issue with generating new keys. i could get easy assitance with the wep key generator site:

http://www.warewolflabs.com/portfolio/p ... epskg.html

routers that have g capability tend to be a bit higher for the wallet. so any money i could save (if it's worth saving) would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:52 am 
Notched on both sides
Notched on both sides

Absolutely!
Again, Linksys, Netgear, and DLink are the three I would consider (granted i totally tig Netgear, but everyone has to have an opinion ) :lol:

Honestly - the old "a" router I had (and gave to family when I upgraded) enabled me to turn it on and off - it was a Netgear.

You should be able to find one that works for ya...

And rock on with the WEP site, heh - any help we can get - well.. Helps...
(and you thought there would be a witty comment there :P )

Cheers,
Tuathal
--------------
Are you Folding for a cure?
Why not? Its easy, and free
Wanna start? Come visit the Maximum PC Folding Forum!
http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:04 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

You can do it on the Dlink 624...just took a screenie for ya. (SSID removed to protect the innocent)