Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Linksys-specific wireless G question
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:01 am 

My wireless-G network is acting like it's an 802.11B network.

I have two computers currently networked with my Linksys wireless G router w/speedbooster (WRT54GS). Both XP Pro computers are using the Linksys wireless G PCI adapters (WMP54G), and I'm trying to send a file over the LAN (both comps use XP Pro). Whenever I transfer from one comp to the other, the transfer rate seems slower than 10 base T. In the network properties of both cards, I set the 802.11 mode to 54G-only, and the transmit rate to Fixed 54 Mb/s. It doesn't seem to matter. What other settings should I change? I know things should be going faster than this.

Also, in case I need to change settings on my router, please note that I want the network to be backwards compatible with B cards; I occasionally turn on the other 4 comps in this house that use B.

Thanks, any ideas are appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:23 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

First off, you're not guaranteed of having 54 megabit speed.

I would be interested in the distances between devices and whether there are any obstacles that might be interfering with the signal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:00 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Any 802.11b devices communicating with the network may cause all devices on the network to step down to that level. There are no separate channels for both configurations...it's the same frequency. How they ride the network differs as well.

The problem is when your 802.11b device may be sending wireless packet storms...either because it's defective, or especially if it is single channel and is continually disconnected and needs to reconnect to maintain connection with the network.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:15 am 

HK-47 wrote:
First off, you're not guaranteed of having 54 megabit speed.

I would be interested in the distances between devices and whether there are any obstacles that might be interfering with the signal.

Yeah, I know I'm not guaranteed that speed, but I'm probably getting 3 Mbit/sec speeds. I should turn on my ftp and check out the log to find out... If I use normal Cat 5 cable and set my wired card on 10 Mbit/half mode, I get a faster connection.

As for the physical layout: The two computers are a couple of feet away from each other. The router is on the floor above them, about 6 feet away horizontally.

Signal strength: One computer has 2/5 bars; the other has 4/5 bars. That's something I didn't consider... hmm, I guess I'll move the router downstairs later today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:17 am 

Wolfmann wrote:
Any 802.11b devices communicating with the network may cause all devices on the network to step down to that level.

Yeah, I knew about that, so I made sure that these two computers were the only ones turned on while I was testing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:12 pm 
Notched on both sides
Notched on both sides

a Wireless magazine (that I believe is a sister co of MPC) put out a list of routers with G protocols, and in most all tests the Linksys did NOT fare well at all.

My wife's tablet (which is the only wireless item on my network) can only achieve 12+ MBit speeds if she is 20Ft away or less - and that has actually dropped since I picked up my Linksys.

My Netgear had the highest throughput with the greatest range, but it fried and I haven't gone out to replace it yet, so I'm stuck with the old Linksys...

Also - they found that Internet access was MUCH higher on the linksys than file transfers were. If I could remember their "Kick Ass" award winner - I'd give it to ya - but just don't recall it...

Hope the info helps clear things up - even if it doesn't 'resolve' it.

Cheers,
Tuathal
--------------
Are you Folding for a cure? Why not? Its easy, free, and doesn't hurt anyone - in fact it can only help!