Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can Cable Modem USB MAC be cloned to Router?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:13 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

First the history: I've got a Motorola SB5100 connected to my wifes PC thru the USB port. My PC's internet connection passes thru hers using a hub connected to her NIC and then ICS.

Knowing that thats not the best way to do it, and after having some issues with ICS, I've decided to upgrade our network by using a router ( Linksys BEFSX41 ) to connect to my PC and my wifes PC, then to the modem.

Question #1 : The modem ( and I'm assuming my ISP - Charter ) already has my wifes USB MAC address registered, so is it possible to clone the USB MAC address to the router and/or will the modem get confused because its now connected using the RJ45 port instead of the USB port?

( Btw, I checked the modem's addresses page and the PC's Ipconfig /all listing and the two USB MACs match - if thats worth anything. )

Question #2a : If #1 isn't possible, can I power off the modem for 10 minutes or so, then connect it to the new NIC on one of my PC's, have it pick up the new NIC MAC, then clone that new MAC to the router?

Question #2b : Do I have to call my ISP - Charter, to have them replace the MAC addr. at their end, ( I never had to call them with any MAC address when I first installed the modem - I assume their Setup program took care of it. ) or can I just run the Setup program again?

Post subject: Re: Can Cable Modem USB MAC be cloned to Router?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:34 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Rooke wrote:
First the history: I've got a Motorola SB5100 connected to my wifes PC thru the USB port. My PC's internet connection passes thru hers using a hub connected to her NIC and then ICS.

Knowing that thats not the best way to do it, and after having some issues with ICS, I've decided to upgrade our network by using a router ( Linksys BEFSX41 ) to connect to my PC and my wifes PC, then to the modem.

Wise decision, a router is a better solution than ICS.
Rooke wrote:
Question #1 : The modem ( and I'm assuming my ISP - Charter ) already has my wifes USB MAC address registered, so is it possible to clone the USB MAC address to the router and/or will the modem get confused because its now connected using the RJ45 port instead of the USB port?

Yes the router should be able to clone the MAC address thus avoiding any provisioning issues on your ISP's side.
Switching from RJ45 to USB shouldn't make any difference.
Rooke wrote:
Question #2a : If #1 isn't possible, can I power off the modem for 10 minutes or so, then connect it to the new NIC on one of my PC's, have it pick up the new NIC MAC, then clone that new MAC to the router?

You can clone the USB or NIC MAC but if want to avoid potential provisioning issues you want to stick with the original MAC.
Rooke wrote:
Question #2b : Do I have to call my ISP - Charter, to have them replace the MAC addr. at their end, ( I never had to call them with any MAC address when I first installed the modem - I assume their Setup program took care of it. ) or can I just run the Setup program again?

Worst case scenario yes (if everything else fails). Some ISPs provision to the MAC some don't. If you successfully clone the original MAC to the router you shouldn't have any problems. Or you could be lucky and your ISP doesn't look at the MAC and this whole conversation is moot :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:40 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Thanks for the info. :)

I just got thru reading some faqs on it on the Charter forum over at Dslreports. You're right, just powering off the modem should do the trick.

Charter only cares about how many CPE MACs the modem has.

That makes me feel a lot better now. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:04 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Rooke wrote:
Thanks for the info. :)

I just got thru reading some faqs on it on the Charter forum over at Dslreports. You're right, just powering off the modem should do the trick.

Charter only cares about how many CPE MACs the modem has.

That makes me feel a lot better now. :D

You can also contact the ISP, tell them you have changed your networking device because of a failure and to ask them to reset the MAC registered to your account so you can re-capture the new one.

Guy in black hoods and pajama's won't jump out of helicopters. There's nothing illegal or wrong with using a router or letting your ISP aware that you are. They have no legal business what happens at their demarcation point as long as you do not interfer with systems on their side of the demarcation point (such as capturing an IP that is not yours).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:14 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Wolfmann wrote:
Guy in black hoods and pajama's won't jump out of helicopters. There's nothing illegal or wrong with using a router or letting your ISP aware that you are.

Thanks, 8) but I already knew that. I just didn't want to hassle with making the call while the wife is breathing down my neck :shock: to get her PC's internet connection working again -- "You said it would only take an hour... blah, blah, blah, nag, nag, nag!" :x

I just didn't care to have to go thru that. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:25 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

You mean you let her out of the kitchen? heh,heh. ;-)